Post-Game Talk: 2/15/18 | Canucks 1 @ Sharks 4

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Miller was subpar and Markstrom is subpar. Markstrom for backup next year. We need an upgrade at this position.
Our goalies arent changing next year. Demko will get injury call ups and might play a few games for experience. 2019/20 season Nilsson wont be here and Demko will. Hopefully he is good enough to have a tandem rotation with Markstrom then. This is fine since we wont be a playoff team next year and no need to shell shock Demko. With a stronger AHL team next year Demko should get more experience being a winner as a starter

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
To be fair Markstrom was okay for a while and he's behind the worst D in the NHL that bleeds high quality scoring chances.

It's not like he's a good goalie, but I certainly don't think he's the problem. I think he's alright and the reactions towards him here are a little bit over the top.

Reactions: geebaan

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are still playing hard. Sedins were fully engaged. Even with Archibald (scariest enforcer name since Taser Face!) Canucks are pretty tame physically.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Boy I sure feel for Nilsson. He played a .972 game against Winnipeg and then sat for EIGHTEEN DAYS. Got a chance on the road against the East leading Lightning (at the start of a road trip, natch) and then sat some more until last night where Marky was so terrible that they just had to bail him out and put Nilsson in (who stopped all 20 shots he faced) despite the knowledge that he would be starting tonight in the second of home and away back to backs (the hardest game to play inhockey). As a result of this idiotic deployment he is 0-3-0 with a no decision in these 4 appearances despite having a save % of .918. During these 4 appearances his teammates have scored exactly 4 goals. The Canucks couldn't sabotage this guys game any worse if they tried; 2 starts in 24 days and then 5 periods of hockey in two different cities in 26 hours. Remember he is signed through next year...

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Boy I sure feel for Nilsson. He played a .972 game against Winnipeg and then sat for EIGHTEEN DAYS. Got a chance on the road against the East leading Lightning (at the start of a road trip, natch) and then sat some more until last night where Marky was so terrible that they just had to bail him out and put Nilsson in (who stopped all 20 shots he faced) despite the knowledge that he would be starting tonight in the second of home and away back to backs (the hardest game to play inhockey). As a result of this idiotic deployment he is 0-3-0 with a no decision in these 4 appearances despite having a save % of .918. During these 4 appearances his teammates have scored exactly 4 goals. The Canucks couldn't sabotage this guys game any worse if they tried; 2 starts in 24 days and then 5 periods of hockey in two different cities in 26 hours. Remember he is signed through next year...
He is handsomely overpaid for a backup so dont feel too bad

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I’m just curious when I should expect the sorrys to roll in. Over a month ago I stated (when they were about even) that Barzal was a better player than Boeser and almost everyone said “no he’s not” etc.
giphy.gif

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh No Vancouver will only have a Calder finalist and not a Calder winner!

What a horrible piece of news!

Reactions: MikeK

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nilsson did a great job early on keeping the team in the game. I doubt the team can dump that contract, but maybe someone will bite after that game.

Nothing really noteworthy from the blueline - same old stuff.

Up front, I know I mentioned it earlier but that was a different Daniel Sedin playing. I think he's been one of the worst forwards lately and I am ready for the Sedins to mail it in over these last few months as they've consistently done when the team is out of it. But wow, I thought he was great tonight. Never really seen him throw the body like that.

I thought Goldobin did pretty well on that Horvat/Boeser line. He was at least comparable with what Baertschi has been doing out there. I think it gives you some more options in the lineup with both of them in there.

Eriksson.. have lots of thoughts on Eriksson, but the main one is this: I don't think you can bring him back next year. He needs to be traded with retention or bought out. I don't care that they don't really save any cap space from the buyout, that part is irrelevant. You simply cannot have this zombie as the highest paid member of the team next year and going forward. It sets a terrible message to the other players, and further I think he's a replacement level NHL forward at this point. I want the other players to look at guys like Horvat and see that he's earned his 5 million+ and is the highest paid player on the team. I don't want them to see Eriksson.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Subpar? Someone today on here told me Markstrom was better than Holtby.
You're a joke. I just love how you try to distort everything to fit your narrative. Here's what actually went down, you know, because clearly you're not paying any attention.

Link

WTG said:
Sample size of 1 game.

ES he has a .923 save percentage which is basically a statistical tie with Braden Hotlby this year.

The problem is the PK, which is dragging down his overall numbers. And I doubt it's the goaltenders fault in this case.

To which, you replied...

Johnny Canucker said:
Yes. Markstrom is as good as Holtby.

I love this. I know this reply is brimming with that smug sarcasm you shower your vapid posts with, but I love it none-the-less. So here's the truth. No body was arguing Markstrom is better. In your mind, you've decided to pretend they did. So maybe lay off the BS next time.

As for your whining that you never received credit for saying that Barzal is better than Boeser. Holy shit, cry me a river.

Reactions: geebaan

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Our goalies arent changing next year. Demko will get injury call ups and might play a few games for experience. 2019/20 season Nilsson wont be here and Demko will. Hopefully he is good enough to have a tandem rotation with Markstrom then. This is fine since we wont be a playoff team next year and no need to shell shock Demko. With a stronger AHL team next year Demko should get more experience being a winner as a starter
Markstrom is such a deflating goalie. If our plan is to bring up a bunch of rookies onto the NHL team I would NOT have Markstrom as the #1.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He might not have if Hank still played like a 1st line center (ie., see how easier it is to shutdown a player when there really isn't another viable scoring line on the team).

Shut down? He has 4 ES points in 18 games. Not much to shut down. I bet teams in their pre scout meetings focus in on Horvat way more. The book is, don’t let Boeser shoot on the PP. other than that, he’s not gonna hurt you.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Markstrom is such a deflating goalie. If our plan is to bring up a bunch of rookies onto the NHL team I would NOT have Markstrom as the #1.

Meh, we're going to be a bottom 10 team next year, Markstrom or no Markstrom. I'd like to see Demko get a few games in, but it's probably going to be another season of placeholders and low minute rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad