Post-Game Talk: 2-1 Jets win! exciting game, boring title!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I get your point. I just don't think it's particularly meaningful. Teams are going to play hard from here on out. There won't be many easy nights. THe Wild are benefitting from a hot goalie and they are on a real hot streak and we got the 2 points. In years past, last night would have been a prime opportunity for the Jets to drop a turd. Last night they showed up and played a good game. Enjoy the afterglow and get ready for the next game...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Dude, when did we pick up Patrick Kane? ;)

And the two players on the Wild are more important to the Wild's overall game, I guess? ;)

We had home ice. We played our 'strong game'. They were missing Carter and Zucker. And it was a coin toss. Hell, I am ecstatic about the outcome, although the clean 2 points would have been better. But I can see them coming hard down the stretch. They scare me.

Jets just need to continue to play like they did last night. The turn-around the Wild has experienced since Dubnyk has arrived has been impressive, but I'm not scared. These things will even out - they're not going to continue to play at this pace. No team can.

A matter of perspective, I guess. We're solidly in the 1st wildcard spot at the moment, and that game was lopsided in terms of the possession game, something I put a lot of stock in as a future predictor of success.

But it wasn't. Dubnyk.

And by the end of the game the shots were pretty even. Our first was strong. Their second was strong.

That's a misleading stat line - the possession game was NOT as close.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
For a big man, Buff is fast and agile. I am really glad that Maurice was reading my posts about a week ago calling for Buff at forward. While everyone else was throwing pies in my face, Maurice was listening.

OK, maybe he moved him up because somehow there became an empty forward seat on the bus, but I prefer to look at it the way I describe. :)

Buff was actually playing defense when he scored the winning goal. That's why I like him on D. He's a much more effective player back there overall IMO and he can still score goals like he did when he feels the opportunity.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yep. Last night after the first I was sure we were going to get "goalied" but we managed to bust through the brick wall just enough. Some games are going to go that way - and they often end in a loss for the team that dominates but can't beat the guy in the opposing net...

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to propose a new rule.

If we win a game and have one goal scored on us, nobody will be allowed to criticize the goaltending. Pavs or Hutch. :help::help::help:

Otherwise, the rest of us will track you down and throw all your clothes into the shower.:sarcasm:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

If we win a game and have one goal scored on us, nobody will be allowed to criticize the goaltending. Pavs or Hutch. :help::help::help:

Otherwise, the rest of us will track you down and throw all your clothes into the shower.:sarcasm:

Wow. That's going to severely limit our ability to criticize Pavale.... Wait, only 1 goal? Nevermind. Sounds good.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Yes... new rule. 1 goal on, what was it, 30 shots. How can you criticize that? Short of the goalie actually shooting the puck into his own net for the 1 goal...... yes let's not criticize after a win like that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes... new rule. 1 goal on, what was it, 30 shots. How can you criticize that? Short of the goalie actually shooting the puck into his own net for the 1 goal...... yes let's not criticize after a win like that.

Especially how that goal actually happened. Should have been a shut out and 2 clean points. Still mad about that. Hope we don't end up in a tie for the last spot with Min....

Derfel*

Say what you want, but I meant what I said - the goal isn't Hutch's fault entirely. It's the goalie's job to make stops, and he didn't. He didn't have much of a chance to. Hence why I said I don't fully blame him for the goal.

Not sure why people insist on reading more into it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
But it wasn't. Dubnyk.

And by the end of the game the shots were pretty even. Our first was strong. Their second was strong.

We played a great game. That's my point. Home ice. They were missing Carter and Zucker, we played about as well as this lineup can, The game was a coin toss. Plus, they are going to ride Dubnyk, we are going to rotate Pav in for his games (40% or more probably).

Plus, I don't see Chevy doing anything (as usual), so this is the lineup we carry to the finish line. They were going to miss the post season because they were getting Pav like goaltending. Their guy did something about it - Dubnyk. Now they are back in the mix.

They scare me.

Welcome to the NHL where games are usually close enough to be decided by a coin flip on any given night. When teams are riding a hot goaltender that's the way it looks but give me that game by the Jets 10 times and they win 6 or 7 of them easily.

Of course the Wild scares you, they're a good team, but flip the perspective and it doesn't look any less scary from the other side imo.

Some additional forward depth would be a plus though, agreed.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
After the game I'm now convinced that Pardy has got to go. Maybe we try to get Winnik and/or Santorelli from the Leafs. Santorelli would fit in nicely on the 3rd line while Winnik is one of the best PK in the league. Decent cap hits to boot.

Big Buff could then head back on D and play with Chariot.

FWIW... Jets sit at 70.8% while Wild drop down to 39.8% (sportsclub)

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
attachment.php

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Sabacade: that's priceless. :handclap: :D I like how Maurice mentioned that Buff would remind everyone the OT goal came while he was playing defense.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Say what you want, but I meant what I said - the goal isn't Hutch's fault entirely. It's the goalie's job to make stops, and he didn't. He didn't have much of a chance to. Hence why I said I don't fully blame him for the goal.

Not sure why people insist on reading more into it.

:shakehead

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
FWIW... Jets sit at 70.8% while Wild drop down to 39.8% (sportsclub)

From sportsclubstats.com - likelihood we get in, based on hypothetical W L OT records:

Points|W|L|OT|PO%
98|15|9|2|99.6
97|14|9|3|98.5
96|14|10|2|95.8
95|13|10|3|90.2
94|13|11|2|80.3
93|12|11|3|66.0

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wow, for a low scoring game against the Wild, that was a very intense game! Did not expect that type of entertainment or our effort in the first period. As someone mentioned, if we continue to play like that, we will win a lot of games.

So many good things about our game last night, but the one that always strikes me as odd is part of Enstrom's game. Why does he skate so slowly to get the puck in our zone, when a forechecker is skating faster than him and closing in? I must have yelled at the tv 3 or 4 times last night to skate faster, but the forechecker arrived at the same time and won the puck battle. All he has to do is skate faster i.e. Buff, Trouba, Bogo. I know he does a lot of great things, but this drives me absolutely crazy. That and carrying the puck back into our zone and losing a puck battle there.

I guess I pick on him because he is a very good player but just does these couple of very odd things.

I hope chevy is actively looking to shore up our forwards, because imagine what ne single injury will do to our lineup.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Pardy was just doing what he is told...

The system calls for puck possession in that situation and the other team just made a good hockey play Maurice has even said they will deal with the ones that go in he doesnt want guys panicking in that situation and giving it back to them willingly

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good game guys. Buff is a gamebreaker.

What an exciting game with a deflating and uncharacteristic play by Spurgeon.

I was at the game and honestly up to that point I thought Spurgeon looked great and its one bad play so meh. I was going to drop by your forum and comment on how much I like his game but I sensed the "coming in peace Spurgeon looked great" type post would come across disingenuous given the timing. Dude is a very slick puck mover.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Wow, for a low scoring game against the Wild, that was a very intense game! Did not expect that type of entertainment or our effort in the first period. As someone mentioned, if we continue to play like that, we will win a lot of games.

So many good things about our game last night, but the one that always strikes me as odd is part of Enstrom's game. Why does he skate so slowly to get the puck in our zone, when a forechecker is skating faster than him and closing in? I must have yelled at the tv 3 or 4 times last night to skate faster, but the forechecker arrived at the same time and won the puck battle. All he has to do is skate faster i.e. Buff, Trouba, Bogo. I know he does a lot of great things, but this drives me absolutely crazy. That and carrying the puck back into our zone and losing a puck battle there.

I guess I pick on him because he is a very good player but just does these couple of very odd things.

I hope chevy is actively looking to shore up our forwards, because imagine what ne single injury will do to our lineup.

I think I know what you are referring to here. If it is what I am thinking, it is when he is trying to figure out how he can survive a collision given that he gives up 25 - 50 lbs to most forwards and could become a permanent Swedish tourism poster advertisement affixed to the end boards beside the Tim Horton's add, if he is not careful. One of his tactics is to let the gap close with the forechecker so he can start to apply the brakes, slowing both of them down before they reach the boards. He will then often spin at the end to avoid the collision.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ha ha - I tweeted that the Jets were playing with fire putting out the 4th line with bottom D pair about 30 seconds before the Wild scored...

I'm a big proponent of keeping the pedal to the metal after we score - but PoMo often throws the momentum sapping 4th line/5-6 D out there. Don't know what the logic is - get in a quick 4th line shift while the other team is on its heels?

When they put the line out on the ice at the game I said "I have no idea why we put our 4th line out with Pardy at the same time, we are playing with fire"

After the goal the two guys seated in front of me both looked back at me like I jinxed the team.

Love PMo but just no on the 4th line and Pardy......Chiarot somehow magically still looks ok with Adam as his partner. I think he is doing well with the hazing ritual.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think I know what you are referring to here. If it is what I am thinking, it is when he is trying to figure out how he can survive a collision given that he gives up 25 - 50 lbs to most forwards and could become a permanent Swedish tourism poster advertisement affixed to the end boards beside the Tim Horton's add, if he is not careful. One of his tactics is to let the gap close with the forechecker so he can start to apply the brakes, slowing both of them down before they reach the boards. He will then often spin at the end to avoid the collision.

Yeah, he is a master of body positioning, it's not often he gets beat to the inside when he goes into those situations and more often than not he gets the puck going the right way, he does a great job of waiting for support, never really paints himself into a corner. Everything the opposition does with him on the ice is to the outsides, he has such a good stick he is constantly disrupting the play.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Agree totally about Enstrom on that point. It's something that has bothered me about him from day one. He looks absolutely lack-a-daisical at times. I also really dislike the "turn-arounds". I mean sure, if you are under pressure and there's no other play then you have to, but he seems to do it no matter what is going on even when he doesn't seem to be under much pressure and it ends up with him behind our net fighting on the boards (and usually the other team comes out with the puck.)

As far as Pardy "just doing what he's been told," I don't agree. I'm sure that is what he's been told, but he had options and kept throwing the puck back behind the net instead of just moving it forward. I doubt that's the plan...

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Pardy was just doing what he is told...

The system calls for puck possession in that situation and the other team just made a good hockey play Maurice has even said they will deal with the ones that go in he doesnt want guys panicking in that situation and giving it back to them willingly

Are you talking about the goal? He openly whiffed on the puck at least twice and turned it over no less than 3 times on that shift. All this after having the opportunity to exit the zone on a simple play up the wall, except he missed the puck!

If Maurice was ok with that it certainly was odd that Pardy left an indentation on the bench after it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad