Confirmed with Link: 1st round - #5OA - D Noah Hanifin - Boston College

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
No offense from friends or relatives means "I'm about to say something that will upset you, but I think you need to know."

From anyone else, it's "I'm about to insult you."

I've never heard "With all due respect...." not in the context of someone using it as a double-insult. If I heard that from someone using it as a means of mollification I would only take it as an insult.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've heard "with all due respect" used in insulting ways many, many times, especially a way to demean or put down someones ideas.....Not necessarily to outright hurl an insult at someone, but preceding an insulting or demeaning way of disagreeing with someone and/or their idea.

For example, "With all due respect, there is no way in hell that idea would ever work." or "With all due respect, that's about the dumbest idea I've ever heard". etc...

I've heard "No offense" used also like that, but more broadly. "No offense, but that coat makes you look fat".

Yes, both are also used in non-confrontational or mollification ways, but frequently they are not. Thus the "Ricky Bobby" spoof video I posted.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The fun thing with "with all due respect" is that how much respect is due is never really addressed. Just that it is the amount that is due. So you can view the person as deserving of no respect, say 'with all due respect', and it's just an additional insult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad