Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'm not sure it matters that he cleared. I expect that he will not be tendered in the offseason.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
CIeCdoTVEAAXsS-.png

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 11m11 minutes ago
Pronman had Svechnikov ranked 9th.

http://thehockeywriters.com/next-ge...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sumome_share

Ross MacLean ‏@rossmaclean 11m11 minutes ago
Elite skater who can really pick his spots when releasing the puck. Doesn't need much room to execute and has great quickness in his hands

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 13m13 minutes ago
Svechnikov is the most classic Red Wings pick ever. High-end skill. Definitely not 18 players better than him in terms of pure talent.

His combination of size and elite offensive skills should have teams drooling, so I'll be surprised if he does slide into the mid-teens.
Hilarious

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seems like nothing is claimed on waivers this year. Teams are tight on cap space and roster space.
A few players have been claimed, I posted a link on the previous page.

Salary cap isn't an issue for Svech, he makes less than the buriable amount so any team could have claimed him if they wanted to waive another player.

Fact is that Svech isn't an upgrade for any team. I said it after his first 2 games, he simply can't skate at an NHL level so nobody wants him. I really don't know why that's such a hard concept for people to understand. There will be at least 3 people that are gonna argue with me again, lol.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He was a first round draft choice who had a great rookie pro campaign with the Griffs and then has been hampered by injuries for the next 3 years. he is finally healthy, was off to a great start with the Wings this year when he was finally given a chance to play. The obvious thing to do was reward him with more ice-time and better linemates allow to gain traction from the confidence his early success must have inspired. Even if they don't like him, if he continued to produce, he would have become a asset with value that they could have got something for in a trade and if he didn't produce they're tanking anyway.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I'm not sure it matters that he cleared. I expect that he will not be tendered in the offseason.
I believe this also. I think another team could take a chance on him but winds up having a meagre NHL career. Honestly the wings have done a great job and not giving up on guys that went on and had any impact in the league which sadly makes me feel good

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I believe this also. I think another team could take a chance on him but winds up having a meagre NHL career. Honestly the wings have done a great job and not giving up on guys that went on and had any impact in the league which sadly makes me feel good
He won't have an NHL career because of his skating, but I think he gets a QO to play in GR. Chances are good that he'll go to Europe or KHL instead of signing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Theres no point , nostradamus predicted abdelkader would get bought out who oh who could have forseen such a tale . He knows all
I know enough to be able to judge skating ability. Every GM in the league appears to agree with my assessment.

Insulting people on the web doesn't change reality. As I said before, being called a moron here is a badge of honor because everyone resorts to insults when they don't have a valid argument.

Svech is basically the offensive equivalent of Ouellet or McIlrath. There's a lot to like, but the skating just isn't there.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It actually shows how much our "assets" are perceived in the open market.

It shows how valued by the rest of the NHL Svech is, I fail to see how the value of Svech has anything to do with the value of a Bernier, Ryan etc. And are people really putting Svech on a pedestal? All I read is people wanting him to get a shot. Nobody is saying he has a ton of value right now.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don’t think Svech is a world beater by any means, and I’m not sure what his long term potential is, but cmon, he deserves a real crack. Especially over some of the washed up, non producers we regularly roll out with. A bit strange really.

Tanking, if he passes through waivers non descriptively like he has twice, and given that he has two knee injury years on the books, you have all the tools from a organizational standpoint to structure his rfa 2nd deal to a team friendly term and cap hit and when promoted full time next year replacing X from the bottom nine you have a huge asset to flip for picks/prospects because he has first round pedigree.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Totally agree. It's like people here don't have jobs. How often do you talk to your boss? Even working from home, I talk to him at least 3 times a week. Unfortunately for me, my new boss is also firends on FB (he got promoted), so he hits me up on FB once a week too, lol.

Same.....I'm the GM of the company I work for, and I'm in contact with my boss probably around the same amount. I do have freedom with a lot of my decisions, but alot of thing do directly come from the owner, it is what it is. I do think some people who dont have experience working directly with a boss are just ignorant to the way businesses operate.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Same.....I'm the GM of the company I work for, and I'm in contact with my boss probably around the same amount. I do have freedom with a lot of my decisions, but alot of thing do directly come from the owner, it is what it is. I do think some people who dont have experience working directly with a boss are just ignorant to the way businesses operate.
Makes you wonder what people do for a living around these parts. Maybe we're talking to a bunch of unemployed folks, who knows?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't like it when we act like we're smarter than everyone else. Craig Button had him ranked as a #1 scoring winger and a comparable to Max Pacioretty. We can certainly use an elite scoring winger, particularly one with size. My concern is we bury him in Cape Breton and Grand Rapids trying to turn him into a two-way center.

We have a ton of two-way centers with questionable offensive skill.

I did not follow him from the beginning. I usually never try to follow the prospects before they come to the team and NHL
So what went wrong with this kid? 2 injures?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I did not follow him from the beginning. I usually never try to follow the prospects before they come to the team and NHL

Yeah, mostly those injuries which were so long-term that he lost cruicial development time at young age.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Great, who cares about him playing in Grand Rapids. What rebuilding team waives a young, cheap player who's shown some nice flashes of offense. The first time they waived him teams were probably still weary, now I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone took a flyer on him
Nobody did.
Regardless of the logic or reason, we'll see if Svech is really an NHLer. If he is, he'll get claimed. Any team can make salary cap space for him by waiving any player since Svech makes less than $1.075M.

I would assume Stevie made calls to see if anyone was interested in a trade before making the move, but you never know.
Agree. Someone would take him and have a look.
I knew Svech's days were numbered here last year when he led the team in scoring in the pre-season... looked good in a callup, but Blash benched him anyway.
Blash is f***ing over another one.
He's f***ing buffoon.
I'm not some Stecher slappy, but he's clearly better than Merril and Djoos and Dekeyser. It's not even arguable, in my eyes.
But Stecher sits for some reason.

Svech's production has been fine. (2nd best Goals/60, 3rd best points/60).
His CF has been OK, considering this team. It's not a joke's like Zadina's or Rasmussen's, anyway.

His GF% isn't good, but it's far from the bottom.
'
But, let's get more Sam Gagner.
Let's build for the future with Bobby Ryan and Sam Gagner.

Do you watch games at all?
Stecher was injured. He is better than Djoos, but it doesn't mean much as Djoos probably doesn't have a job in NHL next season.
Stecher is not better than Merrill and Dekeyser. He is better offensively than them, but worse defensively. He has beaten biega and Djoos for a 6/7 defenseman.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

In 2016-17 he was looking really good in Grand Rapids. He lost all of 2018-19 to injuries. His skating just isn't good enough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty crazy that he has 5 pts in 10 games while only getting 10 min of ice a game.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Come on, anybody with any sort of hockey knowledge can tell they were both completely useless last season, especially Perlini. You really think Blash is a complete imbecile, don't you?

Do you feel Holland commanded Mike Babcock to play Cleary for 4 years past his expiration date?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad