Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do you feel Holland commanded Mike Babcock to play Cleary for 4 years past his expiration date?
Babcock loved Cleary, lol.

Babcock <> Blashill

One had leverage, the other has absolutely none, especially with a new GM. If Blash doesn't do what Stevie asks, he's out the door tomorrow. Plus, there's a huge difference between a playoff team and a dumpster fire, there's no pressure for Stevie to win anything this season.

I don't think this will be Blash's last NHL coaching gig though. A team like Buffalo or Ottawa might hire him when he leaves Detroit. He could wind up making a living as a rebuild coach.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Babcock <> Blashill

One had leverage, the other has absolutely none, especially with a new GM. If Blash doesn't do what Stevie asks, he's out the door tomorrow. Plus, there's a huge difference between a playoff team and a dumpster fire, there's no pressure for Stevie to win anything this season.

I don't think this will be Blash's last NHL coaching gig though. A team like Buffalo or Ottawa might hire him when he leaves Detroit. He could wind up making a living as a rebuild coach.
Blashill can easily get a job in NHL, he is overachieving with this team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Svechnikov was maybe the only player who had a strong game vs Nashville.

He didn't screw up anything, but he had 2 strong entries into their zone. One of them was specifically good and important as they had the pressure on us and we were on our heels.
Svechnikov has to play and get another chance.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

He didn't screw up anything, but he had 2 strong entries into their zone. One of them was specifically good and important as they had the pressure on us and we were on our heels.
I like Svech a lot, but his skating is probably the worst on the team. On a roster which plays a more skill game and has more puck control he'll be much more effective, but its tough for him with the hockey we are playing right now

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t ever see svech becoming an impact player. Best case for him would be to become a Swiss Army knife on the 3rd line but his skating might hold him back from really excelling in that role.

Dreams of a top 6 player and thus deployment in the current top 6 should be put to rest. I’d love for the guy to prove me wrong though. Definitely a likeable guy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don’t ever see svech becoming an impact player. Best case for him would be to become a Swiss Army knife on the 3rd line but his skating might hold him back from really excelling in that role.

Dreams of a top 6 player and thus deployment in the current top 6 should be put to rest. I’d love for the guy to prove me wrong though. Definitely a likeable guy.

In the game against TB they talked about Pointe and Cirelli working with some power skating coach in the off-season, and I have to think some of the push for that started under Yzerman. If the Wnigs can get Smith/Svech/Ras/Pearson hooked up with someone like that it could pay massive dividends.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In the game against TB they talked about Pointe and Cirelli working with some power skating coach in the off-season, and I have to think some of the push for that started under Yzerman. If the Wnigs can get Smith/Svech/Ras/Pearson hooked up with someone like that it could pay massive dividends.

It didn’t just get kicked off under Yzerman, he was the person who sought out and brought in the power skating coach that revamped Point’s skating to be what it is today. He knows the value of proper training and coaching, which is why the overhaul of our strength and conditioning team was alarming to read about. The fact that we were THAT far behind the curve that Yzerman basically lit the department on fire was not ideal to hear.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I wasn't really scrutinizing his every move, so maybe he was okay overall. But I did see him make a couple bad giveaways that left me wishing he had better spatial awareness/ passing ability.

Regardless, I'd like to give him solid ice time for the entire remainder of the season for the simple reason that it won't hurt anything and I want to see if he can take advantage of it to turn himself into a regular. If not, we can cut ties afterward.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I am sure Yzerman is looking at things like this:

Who should I give Ice time to?

Bobby Ryan Or Svechnikov... Who will improve their stock enough to be tradable?

Lets assume all these players are meant for the dumpster or trade. All that matters is their trade value.

I still think Svechnikov has produced enough points that if they played him on the top line (Pretend he has a future here).
Than if he does better than expected.. gets a few points. Maybe we can salvage something in a trade.

If he is so bad they don't expect any trade value improvement... than who is next on the list? Gagner? Namestnikov?

I just think as long as Filppula or Nielsen are getting Ice time on this team, its pointless to waive a Svechnikov or a Gagner... as I think they will have MORE trade value (it might still only be a 5th pick, but it's better than nothing).

Edit:

At the same time, I suppose playing Nielsen and Filppula IF you think they are superior defensively Is more use to the wings by simply making the team slightly more competitive to keep our real young players happy... Than maybe that is of more value to the wings than whatever pick could be garnered for Svechnikov.
And It seems as though when it comes to Svechnikov, this is the choice Detroit has taken.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't understand why AHL teams don't have dedicated skating coaches. Skating is a much bigger part of the game now, and none of these AHL coaches (not just GR but elsewhere as well) were great skaters. They should at least have a coordinator that can bring in consultants and have an overall skating development plan to work on various aspects of skating. Even during the season it'd be something good to work on when they have a day off between games.

Seems really strange that prospects could come into the NHL with glaring skating issues when they could have been fixed at the AHL level. This isn't just a problem with the Wings either.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like Svech a lot, but his skating is probably the worst on the team. On a roster which plays a more skill game and has more puck control he'll be much more effective, but its tough for him with the hockey we are playing right now

Holmstrom made it and was a valuable player.
Smith is worse than Svechnikov.
We will see.
I wasn't really scrutinizing his every move, so maybe he was okay overall. But I did see him make a couple bad giveaways that left me wishing he had better spatial awareness/ passing ability.

Regardless, I'd like to give him solid ice time for the entire remainder of the season for the simple reason that it won't hurt anything and I want to see if he can take advantage of it to turn himself into a regular. If not, we can cut ties afterward.
I just watched the game once and did not use the replays. I was looking for Zadina, Rasmussen, Hronek and Svechnikov.
Then again a player can make a bad play if he gets the puck in a bad position,

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Babcock <> Blashill

Blashill will kick around for another gig or two.
But I think he'd probably be better off being an assistant

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech looked good whenever he was out there on the Larkin-Zadina line last night.
The line had a 6-2 CF advantage.

Things I like about Svechnikov.
1) His shot. Maybe the 2nd best on the team.
2) His smarts. Makes good decisions with the puck.
3) His surehanded passing in every zone. Whether it's the pass to the open man to clear the zone, the pass in the neutral zone on the rush, or the pass to make plays in the Ozone.
4) His ability to be physical, hit, and win battles.
5) Effort is evident.

Things I don't like.
1) Skating.
2) Some decisions without the puck in the Dzone.
3) I think he could be more physical, more frequently.

Overall, his smarts and passing make up for his speed, going forward. Skating can still be an issue defensively.
I think the dzone issues can be solved with more experience.
The hitting thing is just something I think will make him harder to play against.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Overall, his smarts and passing make up for his speed, going forward.
Not when he's playing with Larkin. It really nullifies Larkin's speed when his 2 wingers can't even come close to keeping up.

Svech is just a fill in until the other prospects are ready. I don't see any long term potential unless he make a miraculous improvement in his skating. I leave open the possibility that anything can happen considering Erne looks like a legit NHL player this season.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
The Wings have a new arena and practice facility but no own skate mill, thats unbelievable.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Svech looked good whenever he was out there on the Larkin-Zadina line last night.
The line had a 6-2 CF advantage.

Things I like about Svechnikov.
1) His shot. Maybe the 2nd best on the team.
2) His smarts. Makes good decisions with the puck.
3) His surehanded passing in every zone. Whether it's the pass to the open man to clear the zone, the pass in the neutral zone on the rush, or the pass to make plays in the Ozone.
4) His ability to be physical, hit, and win battles.
5) Effort is evident.

Things I don't like.
1) Skating.
2) Some decisions without the puck in the Dzone.
3) I think he could be more physical, more frequently.

Overall, his smarts and passing make up for his speed, going forward. Skating can still be an issue defensively.
I think the dzone issues can be solved with more experience.
The hitting thing is just something I think will make him harder to play against.

I was surprised that he didn't get an extended run. It's one thing that I really don't understand. If you are going to put Svech on that line headed into the game then actually put him on that line in the game. Zadina had 19 minutes of ice time to go with Larkin's 22. And then there is Svech with 10. If you swapped Svech out and put Mantha in I could understand it, but I saw instances of Nielsen, Helm, Erne, Filppula being on the ice with Larkin and Zadina. I don't care if Svechnikov is in a wheelchair, he still has more offensive chops than those guys that would make sense for Larkin and Zadina.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't understand why AHL teams don't have dedicated skating coaches. Skating is a much bigger part of the game now, and none of these AHL coaches (not just GR but elsewhere as well) were great skaters. They should at least have a coordinator that can bring in consultants and have an overall skating development plan to work on various aspects of skating. Even during the season it'd be something good to work on when they have a day off between games.

Seems really strange that prospects could come into the NHL with glaring skating issues when they could have been fixed at the AHL level. This isn't just a problem with the Wings either.

Most of the guys on the team are not going to be NHLers, and the ones who will be are likely seen as guys who can pursue it in the offseason either out of their own pocket or at the expense of the big club. It's also not something I think you heavily work on during the course of the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Most of the guys on the team are not going to be NHLers, and the ones who will be are likely seen as guys who can pursue it in the offseason either out of their own pocket or at the expense of the big club. It's also not something I think you heavily work on during the course of the season.
Prospects don't make much money. Considering that teams are willing to eat a couple million in salary to get a 2nd round pick, you'd think spending a few hundred $k on skating coaches would be a no brainer.

It's not something they work on, that's my point. They should. If there's a deficiency it needs to be addressed.

I trained ski instructors. Whenever I see something ugly, I'd go and talk to that instructor and we'd work on fixing the skiing issue. I didn't even care if I got paid or not, and likewise most instructors would work with me because they just want to be better skiers. You'd think hockey players would be the same way.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I agree that he looked better. He was much more engaged in the play on a more regular basis. His skating is obviously not a strength which is why it is all the more important to anticipate and read the play well. Good anticipation is worth two or three full strides to some guys, which is a big deal for a weaker skater.

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was surprised that he didn't get an extended run. It's one thing that I really don't understand. If you are going to put Svech on that line headed into the game then actually put him on that line in the game. Zadina had 19 minutes of ice time to go with Larkin's 22. And then there is Svech with 10. If you swapped Svech out and put Mantha in I could understand it, but I saw instances of Nielsen, Helm, Erne, Filppula being on the ice with Larkin and Zadina. I don't care if Svechnikov is in a wheelchair, he still has more offensive chops than those guys that would make sense for Larkin and Zadina.

Blash gonna blash.
Especially in dzone situations, he benches him.
No offense, but I trust Svech with the puck on his stick in his own zone more than Helm - who has made many awful giveaways over the years, despite his work ethic.

Blash, by doing that, is announcing to Svech that Svech can't be trusted. He's announcing that to the league and to the fans.

And he's done this with youngsters throughout his tenure in Detroit.

I saw someone mention Blash as someone who'd stick in the NHL as a rebuild coach. I can't imagine a worse rebuild coach.

I listened to an interview with Todd McClellan last week, comparing last year's lineups to this year's.
Last year, he said, the Kings were so far out of it, they could afford to give lots of icetime to Frk and Vilardi and not sweat too much about the consequences.
This year, with the playoffs in striking distance, the team has to approach that differently.

Have you ever got that sense from Blashill? Ever?
I can think of a few rare instances.
1) Larkin's struggles late in his rookie year and for the early half of his sophomore year.
2) Sticking by Zadina this year.

And that's it.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Prospects don't make much money. Considering that teams are willing to eat a couple million in salary to get a 2nd round pick, you'd think spending a few hundred $k on skating coaches would be a no brainer.

It's not something they work on, that's my point. They should. If there's a deficiency it needs to be addressed.

I trained ski instructors. Whenever I see something ugly, I'd go and talk to that instructor and we'd work on fixing the skiing issue. I didn't even care if I got paid or not, and likewise most instructors would work with me because they just want to be better skiers. You'd think hockey players would be the same way.

Preaching to the choir, I think it's a no brainer for teams to invest in this, too. I'm also not sure how much the teams can pay for, especially during the off-season, because of the cap. It might be something where the team can find the person, they can bring them in on team time, but if it's during the off-season the player has to foot the cost. I don't know how if any of this stuff is covered by the CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00