Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know, I think a lot of guys improve in the AHL. Like Ras and Cholo will improve, but what kind of gains are we looking for? What are our current weaknesses and opportunities organizationally? We can dictate how much these guys play, we can make those decisions. What is the point in being this bad if you're not going to do this stuff? I just kind of want the thought process here, and I am a little tired of them trying to sweep it under the rug like it isn't a legitimate question.

Ras, Cholo and Svech are players with talent, they have it, we have seen it at the NHL level. They are by no means perfect or finished products. But I think we have lost a lot of development time during the pandemic and I think especially with some of these older guys it is to sink or swim time. We are drafting too many players, we need to start making decisions, there are only so many roster spots and so many opportunities, we have no reason to be slow playing this on some of these guys. We will have to see how long it plays out, but I am concerned. We want them more developed for hopefully our last two foundation pieces in the next two drafts that should hopefully come faster. Raymond and Seider are going to big adds to this team. We cannot be doing this all at once, it just isn't realistic in my opinion.

Agreed. Introduce the youth now to get the best chance at having as much of it as possible flourish.
If you overload too many rookies at the wrong time, it could be a gong show that hurts all of them.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
With the delay in the AHL season and the taxi squad as an option, I have a hard time imaging anyone is going to get pulled up from GR in the next two or three weeks. These guys just aren't in game shape like their NHL counterparts. I will, however, be very disappointed if we don't see Svech, Ras and Cholo up in the back half of the season.

Reactions: David D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean but Rasmussen is actually our second best center. Yes a lot of that is by default and terribly embarrassing from a talent and depth scenario but we can give him a big role while being in Detroit.

We cannot have all the youth coming at the same time. Ras doesn't need to be down anymore in my opinion. He is better than what we have and he outplayed a lot of them while in the lineup. Play him 15 minutes a night and some pp, we aren't going anywhere what is the hang up?

I don't agree with giving up on Svech, I think he has always looked okay at this level and he represents an upgrade currently. I am glad him and Rasmussen are together at least from that development but just feels like it could be happening in the NHL at this point. Neither has a please protect me attitude to them either is a part of what bothers me.

I'd rather have both up and playing, too. But I'd rather see Ras getting a ton of minutes and playing in GR in all situations for half a season. bring him up at the TDL, plug him into that 2C spot, hopefully give him some half way decent linemates and let him run with it to prepare to hold it down out of the gate next year.

Svech, I think he is what he is. I like him every time I see him in the NHL, and I think he should be playing. I also don't think there is anything in GR he could work on and get some confidence at for a couple of months.

The Wings are just...I don't know. I don't agree with a number of things from the past year or so and this is just more of it.

I get the idea of using Ras for a center on the top line in Grand Rapids.
On the other hand, I thought he was good enough at the NHL this last time around that we could build on what he has.
It's getting very near the point for Rasmussen (and Cholowski) where it's sink or swim time...where they've got to show the NHL speed reactions and decisions.

I think Ras is definitely one of our twelve best guys, but I think getting huge minutes in GR and being the guy for a couple of months would be good for him. I think this covid mess has potentially hurt him and Cholo the most, as I see both as guys who would have seriously benefitted starting the year in GR with huge minutes, and then (ideally) being called up around December/January as the Wings dealt off some of the fluff they brought in over the summer, and/or injuries forced some call-ups.

If the Wings planned on taxi squadding these guys from the beginning and sending them to GR, I think they should have worked a lot harder to get them into the SHL for a full season.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He's close to a point per game player in the AHL which is better than anyone Holland drafted. Plus he's from Livonia and he's guaranteed to score as much as Brome.
Holland didn't draft Hudler?

GPGAPtsPTS/GP
21281851660.783019CareerBarber
643129600.9375BestBarber
185651141790.967568CareerHudler
763660961.263158BestHudler
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

80 22 52 74 0.925 Career Filppula
77 20 50 70 0.909090909 Best Filppula

Edit: Added Filppula

Last edited:

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
So they better be playing him and not just sticking him on the taxi squad to shut fans up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Holland didn't draft Hudler?

GPGAPtsPTS/GP
21281851660.783019CareerBarber
643129600.9375BestBarber
185651141790.967568CareerHudler
763660961.263158BestHudler
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
80 22 52 74 0.925 Career Filppula
77 20 50 70 0.909090909 Best Filppula

Edit: Added Filppula
I meant current prospects. The past has no impact on whether Barber should play or not, he's teh best offensive option down in GR right now.

Chances of it working out are slim, so I don't care either way. Sorta reminds me of AHL All Star Keith Aucoin, the Caps gave him a chance during their rebuild but his thought process and reaction time was just a tiny bit slow for the NHL and he couldn't put it together. Sorta like watching Perlini last season when they gave him the chance on PP.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't understand the logic of putting prospects on the taxi squad.

Taxi squad players are literally doing nothing, right? Okay, practicing with the team, but that's about it. So you fill it with "responsible veteran" types that you don't really care about in terms of development and progression, like Lashoff. Right? Like Nielsen and Filppula. Maybe Gagner. Maybe Helm.

Anyone under like 25ish should be playing somewhere, right? Play them here or play them in Grand Rapids. Don't put them on the taxi squad to rot.

Am I missing something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad