Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Probably won't start the season in Detroit but I can see him up for good at some point

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Was lookin at the projected lineups for next season and didnt see Svech, not a Wings fan but its my understanding they keep the young guys in development for a while. When do you guys see him comin up? How many games nexr yr?

At some point when Helm and others start getting injured.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svechnikov is scoring lately. But the bad news is, his knee is not feeling good.
mlive.com/griffins/2020/02/evgeny-svechnikov-on-a-hot-streak-with-griffins-despite-knee-concerns.html

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Svechnikov is scoring lately. But the bad news is, his knee is not feeling good.
mlive.com/griffins/2020/02/evgeny-svechnikov-on-a-hot-streak-with-griffins-despite-knee-concerns.html

I don’t recall much about the details of his injury beyond the ACL tear, but if there was meniscus damage, then he could be dealing with some wear and tear that could use a little scope and trimming in the off-season.

I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and both lateral and medial meniscus when I was in college. About 2-3 years later I had managed to tear up the meniscus again, and had a short procedure to trim out the bad areas. Nothing that really caused any major recovery, I was walking the day of and back to regularly scheduled activities in about 10 days.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t recall much about the details of his injury beyond the ACL tear, but if there was meniscus damage, then he could be dealing with some wear and tear that could use a little scope and trimming in the off-season.

I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and both lateral and medial meniscus when I was in college. About 2-3 years later I had managed to tear up the meniscus again, and had a short procedure to trim out the bad areas. Nothing that really caused any major recovery, I was walking the day of and back to regularly scheduled activities in about 10 days.

I am still not sure what the setback was around this time last year when he was ramping up to come back. But the other thing to keep in mind was you were recovering to live a normal life, not excel as one of 700 people on the entire planet good enough to play in the best league in a very difficult sport.

I am really pulling for Svechnikov, but not everyone does recover. Even though the modern advances help, I think there is a reality that we sometimes forget as fans that this is really difficult stuff to come back from.

I remember having a conversation with a guy that was a second round pick when I lived in Milwaukee and he was playing for the Admirals. He basically talked about he never could get his skating all the way right again after his big knee injury. Always felt it was the difference keeping him in the AHL versus the NHL. Really good player, but just ultimately a fringe guy because of some of what the injury took from him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I am still not sure what the setback was around this time last year when he was ramping up to come back. But the other thing to keep in mind was you were recovering to live a normal life, not excel as one of 700 people on the entire planet good enough to play in the best league in a very difficult sport.

I am really pulling for Svechnikov, but not everyone does recover. Even though the modern advances help, I think there is a reality that we sometimes forget as fans that this is really difficult stuff to come back from.

I remember having a conversation with a guy that was a second round pick when I lived in Milwaukee and he was playing for the Admirals. He basically talked about he never could get his skating all the way right again after his big knee injury. Always felt it was the difference keeping him in the AHL versus the NHL. Really good player, but just ultimately a fringe guy because of some of what the injury took from him.

Wasn’t intended to make it sound like it was easy and anyone could do it. I’m just saying for him to go through a stretch where he said it felt good, and then suddenly it started to become a problem again and he’s been playing through soreness and discomfort, I’ve lived through it and shared from my experience that there could be some damage that has flared up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Svech sitting tonight on a four game goal scoring streak...

I really wonder what the deal is with his knee. I know they aren't going to tell us but we are what 18 months out at this point and we are still protecting back to back game scenarios??? I am happy they are putting health first but honestly I am really concerned at this point. I expect him to break camp because of the waiver stuff, but man this sucks.

Tough to get good momentum going and build confidence with that going on.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If its still bad enough to miss games I wish they would consider throwing in the towel and trying to get it fixed with some surgery. Not a good sign these preventative breaks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If its still bad enough to miss games I wish they would consider throwing in the towel and trying to get it fixed with some surgery. Not a good sign these preventative breaks.

Assuming surgery can fix it. I fully expect Svech to under the knife again this summer to "clean it up" or some other vague notion, and for everyone to really hope that it works out. As @The Zetterberg Era alluded to earlier it might just not happen. That knee injury might have just ruined his career.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Assuming surgery can fix it. I fully expect Svech to under the knife again this summer to "clean it up" or some other vague notion, and for everyone to really hope that it works out. As @The Zetterberg Era alluded to earlier it might just not happen. That knee injury might have just ruined his career.

That is what I am afraid of the most I know his development never really seemed to look like it panned out but I feel nervous this injury could do him in. I am certainly crossing my fingers he can get back into game shape.

Reactions: Winger98

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
We need only look at Fabbri too know what the expected recovery time table should be. He will probably get a small 2 year extension, the skill is obviously there. The body just has too follow now, there may be a small procedure at the end of the year but this year he should just be focusing on not over-doing it, improving his skills and then he can have some more r&r over the summer, he should then be ready too go again come pre-season.

Reactions: SirloinUB

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We need only look at Fabbri too know what the expected recovery time table should be. He will probably get a small 2 year extension, the skill is obviously there. The body just has too follow now, there may be a small procedure at the end of the year but this year he should just be focusing on not over-doing it, improving his skills and then he can have some more r&r over the summer, he should then be ready too go again come pre-season.

If the pain is as bad as it seems like it could be I hope they dont give up on him as well. Very well could end up like a Fabbri situation. The wings will continue to be bad and have cap space so might as well bring him along for another 2 years and see if the pain goes away. Hopefully its something they can scope in the off season and fix it. But really if that were the case they probably wouldve done it already. Some knee scopes only put you out for a week with technology these days and if it were as simple as a scope fixing it, they probably woulda done it already and just had him sit a couple weeks instead of playing all season with pain

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It shouldn't be hard for the Wings to find room to keep Svech around next season, right?
Let's work it out. Let's assume we don't trade AA or Helm or whoever.
We have 8 winger jobs available.
1. Mantha
2. Bertuzzi
3. Athanasiou
4. Zadina
5. Fabbri
6. Helm
7. Abdelkader
8. Erne
9. Perlini
10. Ehn
---
11. Rasmussen*
12. Smith
13. G. Smith
14. Svechnikov
15. Hirose
---
*I list Ras as winger even if the Wings want him to be a C. Not sure he's ever a C in this league. Also, even if he's a C, that means one of Flip/Nielsen/Glendening move to the wing, so it's a wash.

Now, this team probably walks away from Perlini. Maybe Ehn or Erne too. You also have room for a healthy scratch or two.

Personally, I think the Wings would keep Ehn, who can play center, and drop Perlini. Ehn can be your 13/14 foward. Abby is probably another healthy scratch.

So:
1. Mantha
2. Bertuzzi
3. Athanasiou
4. Zadina
5. Fabbri
6. Helm
---
And then Ras/Svech/Hirose/Smith battle for those last two jobs with Erne, Ehn and Abby.

Of course, a trade changes that.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't really see Ehn and Erne developing into anything that couldn't be replaced on the waiver wire. They are in the right age group but I would not want to see them block Ras, Svech, Hirose. Smith is probably a lateral move from Ehn Erne. Abby better not block anyone I hope he doesn't get played for the sake of playing him. He should be scratched at this point for the duration of his contract. I hope they make room and aren't trigger happy sending them down. Would also like to see Veleno in rotation if he makes a jump next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad