GDT: #20| Flames at FLYERS | Sat. Nov. 18, 1:00 pm ET | SN1, SNE, SNO, SNP, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (8-8-3) vs. CALGARY FLAMES (10-8-0)
th
lmuiLvf.jpg

58111008248a2.image.jpg
BROADCAST INFORMATION
TEAMS' WEBSITES
GAME PREVIEW, NOTES and STATISTICS
TEAMS' STATISTICS
Team GamesRecordPoints HomeAwayGFGAPP%PK%FO%Save%PIM
Flyers198-8-3194-3-24-5-1525118.080.053.0.911 172
Flames 1810-8-0206-5-04-3-0535817.570.848.1.901 217
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

images
FLYERS' POSSIBLE LINEUP
Lines
28 Claude Giroux | 14 Sean Couturier | 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal | 51 Val Filppula | 11 Travis Konecny
22 Dale Weise | 19 Nolan Patrick | 17 Wayne Simmonds
20 Taylor Leier | 21 Scott Laughton | 12 Michael Raffl​
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov | 8 Robert Hagg
23 Brandon Manning | 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
6 Travis Sanheim | 39 Mark Alt​
Goalies
30 Michal Neuvirth | 37 Brian Elliott​

FLYERS' INJURIES and SCRATCHES

39 Mark Alt -- available -- could replace Radko Gudas or be sent to AHL if A. MacDonald is activated
3 Radko Gudas -- not available -- awaiting Sunday's disciplinary hearing, expected suspension
15 Jori Lehterä -- available -- could be a healthy scratch
47 Andrew MacDonald -- IR; could return as early as this game -- blocked shot to leg.
24 Matt Read -- available -- could be a healthy scratch​

FLYERS' POWER PLAY UNITS

1. Wayne Simmonds - Sean Couturier - Jake Voracek - Claude Giroux - Shayne Gostisbehere
2. Jordan Weal - Michael Raffl- Travis Konecny - Ivan Provorov - Valtteri Filppula​

CALGARY FLAMES

th
FLAMES' POSSIBLE LINEUP
Lines

13 Johnny Gaudreau - 23 Sean Monahan - 79 Micheal Ferland
19 Matt Stajan - 11 Mikael Backlund - 67 Michael Frolik
93 Sam Bennett - 77 Mark Jankowski - 68 Jaromir Jagr
10 Kris Versteeg - 20 Curtis Lazar - 36 Troy Brouwer
(Bennett or Versteeg could be elevated to 2nd line LW in place of the suspended M. Tkaczuk)​
Pairings
5 Mark Giordano - 27 Dougie Hamilton
7 T.J. Brodie - 24 Travis Hamonic
61 Brett Kulak - 26 Michael Stone​
Goalies
31 Eddie Lack - 41 Mike Smith
FLAMES' INJURIES and SCRATCHES
44 Matt Bartkowski -- available -- could be a healthy scratch
25 Freddie Hamilton -- available -- could be a healthy scratch
18 Matt Stajan -- available -- could replace Matthew Tkachuk as one of 12 forwards
19 Matthew Tkachuk -- not available -- suspended by NHL for one game
FLAMES' POWER PLAY UNITS
1. Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland - T.J. Brodie - Kris Versteeg
2. Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett - Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton

FLAMES' MEDIA CONTACTS

Calgary Herald/Sun
From 80 Feet Above
Sportsnet 960 The Fan
FUTURE SCHEDULE
DateGameTime (ET)Television
Tuesday, Nov. 21Vancouver at Philadelphia7:00 pmSNE, SNO, SNP, NBCSP
Wednesday, Nov. 22Philadelphia at NY Islanders7:00 pmMSG+, NBCSP+
Friday, Nov. 24NY Islanders at Philadelphia 4:00 pmSN, NBCSP, MSG+
Monday, Nov. 27 Philadelphia at Pittsburgh 7:00 pmNHLN-US, SN, TVAS, ATTSN-PT, NBCSP
Tuesday, Nov. 28 San Jose at Philadelphia 7:00 pm NBCSP, NBCSCA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GAME DAY THREAD MUSIC

"Burning Down the House" by Talking Heads

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
One of these days, MSE should just just do a wacky GDT to throw everyone completely off!

Thanks to everyone who does these!

What people probably don't realize is that wrangling that code for these, with all the names and numbers and everything, is a pretty huge pain in the scrotum. And he takes care of it game after game after game. We should feed him grapes and hand him gift certificates at the very least - he's the man.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
What people probably don't realize is that wrangling that code for these, with all the names and numbers and everything, is a pretty huge pain in the scrotum. And he takes care of it game after game after game. We should feed him grapes and hand him gift certificates at the very least - he's the man.

At the bare minimum with subjects admonished for lack of reverence. That said, "To Serve Man -- It's a Cookbook."

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I know sanhiem is pushing the play etc, but we can’t really afford to give up more goals that are solely bc of him. Goals like the one from the slot last night or on the PK are ok, but not turnovers like last night, in OT, etc. I’m not saying he should be benched for manning, but I’d like to get Morin in there one way or another. I can’t justify sanhiem causing multiple goals and Morin being benched without sanhiem contributing on offense. I know he is a rookie, but if it was my first time at my job and I made this many obvious and costly errors I would certainly be talked to. I do like the massive improvement in his positioning. He rarely is out of position and is typically the last person to get a hug.

TK I’m more ok wil because a lot of nights he is his line as others have said. Then he finally shoots for a corner and misses the net. I think he just needs to keep going through what he is and should be fine. I would really like to see TK and Patrik together for f***s sake.

In the end it doesn’t matter until Hak is gone. And that’s not happening until the end of the year. In our division this team is a loss. Better to prep for a good draft spot than to expect playoffs. I’d be ok with that if we could expect all the prospects to make it next year. Kind of like a mini tank. But at this point they are flat out puzzling with their moves and decisions. I’ve been a fan for over 2 decades and I’ve never been more frustrated.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know sanhiem is pushing the play etc, but we can’t really afford to give up more goals that are solely bc of him. Goals like the one from the slot last night or on the PK are ok, but not turnovers like last night, in OT, etc. I’m not saying he should be benched for manning, but I’d like to get Morin in there one way or another. I can’t justify sanhiem causing multiple goals and Morin being benched without sanhiem contributing on offense. I know he is a rookie, but if it was my first time at my job and I made this many obvious and costly errors I would certainly be talked to. I do like the massive improvement in his positioning. He rarely is out of position and is typically the last person to get a hug.

Oh please :laugh:

The goal against last night was equally, if not more so, on Manning for playing the 1v2 as bad as possible.

Every player gives up odd man rushes once in a while, we've even seen Provorov do it, but they aren't supposed to get scored on 100% of the time it happens.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I know sanhiem is pushing the play etc, but we can’t really afford to give up more goals that are solely bc of him. Goals like the one from the slot last night or on the PK are ok, but not turnovers like last night, in OT, etc.
Do you realize that goal happened on the PK?

Do you realize the Flyers are 26th in 5v5 scoring?

Do you realize the Flyers give up the fewest 5v5 goals in the league...by a mile?

We're really focusing on goals against? Yes he made a mistake and it ended up in the back of the net, but if you didn't see all the good he did in that game, well I don't know what to say but you're missing something. He dominated about as much as he could considering the situation. I like Morin, but he's not even close to Sanheim and he's definitely not going to help the team score more.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

TK I’m more ok wil because a lot of nights he is his line as others have said. Then he finally shoots for a corner and misses the net. I think he just needs to keep going through what he is and should be fine. I would really like to see TK and Patrik together for ****s sake.

In the end it doesn’t matter until Hak is gone. And that’s not happening until the end of the year. In our division this team is a loss. Better to prep for a good draft spot than to expect playoffs. I’d be ok with that if we could expect all the prospects to make it next year. Kind of like a mini tank. But at this point they are flat out puzzling with their moves and decisions. I’ve been a fan for over 2 decades and I’ve never been more frustrated.

So Sanheim gets all the blame for a turnover in the OZ, yet Manning gets none for playing the 2-1 awful, and allowing the pass thru? Elliott had little chance but still could have saved it.

This is the best example of piling on a kid.

-6 in 1st 9 games
+2 in his last 7 games

That looks like big improvement even if +/- is flawed.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So Sanheim gets all the blame for a turnover in the OZ, yet Manning gets none for playing the 2-1 awful, and allowing the pass thru? Elliott had little chance but still could have saved it.

-6 in 1st 9 games
+2 in his last 7 games

We always knew that every little mistake he makes in the natural course of acclimating to the NHL was going to be exaggerated and blown out of proportion, but the sheer predictability of these reactions does nothing to make them less annoying, unfortunately.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We always knew that every little mistake he makes in the natural course of acclimating to the NHL was going to be exaggerated and blown out of proportion, but the sheer predictability of these reactions does nothing to make them less annoying, unfortunately.
agreed.

I said it last year...we were spoiled by Ghost's and then Provy's rookie seasons. The "next wave" will have lots of ups and downs. I expected it with Sanheim. I expect it with Morin. And Myers.

Hagg has less ups and downs because he doesn't try anything on offense. He doesn't have that offensive get up and go like Sanheim. He defers to others to go make things happen. Makes the safe play every time. Reality is you need a mixture of both on your team....and often being paired together is the best situation.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Smith is going to dominate us. Don't worry, the 2 goals last night were an anomaly. We scored 2 goals in under 3 minutes and then nothing for the rest of the game. Hak's system will doom us.

If the Flyers lose and Habs, Canes & Bruins win, Flyers will be 27th place in the league. Look at it this way, the worse our record, the closer we'll be to getting rid of Hak and getting Dahlin.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Don’t get me wrong, I like Sanheim. I really do. I just think that when Manning makes the same mistake as another D, he gets piled on to the extreme. We all know he doesn’t have the talent level of the rest of our guys, but he makes up for it with hard work and determination.

He actually hasn’t looked terrible the past handful of games. I still think he’s the one to come out when old Mac comes back, but he hasn’t embarrassed himself filling in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, I like Sanheim. I really do. I just think that when Manning makes the same mistake as another D, he gets piled on to the extreme. We all know he doesn’t have the talent level of the rest of our guys, but he makes up for it with hard work and determination.

He actually hasn’t looked terrible the past handful of games. I still think he’s the one to come out when old Mac comes back, but he hasn’t embarrassed himself filling in.

Gudas is the one coming out. He'll get at least 5 games, IMO.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I will say this....later in the game, Hagg got caught out of position, it led to a 2-1 with Ghost, who slid on his stomach, but the pass got thru.....but they did not score so it was not even mentioned on our board.

The big thing with Manning is that he has made the mistakes for years and has not learned from them. He doesn't play within himself. He thinks he is better than he is. Whereas Hagg for example, seems to know his limitations so just forgoes most offensive chances.

Enjoy the year with Manning as it should be his last one with us. Time to move on to better players. He will get a job somewhere next year though.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Smith is going to dominate us. Don't worry, the 2 goals last night were an anomaly. We scored 2 goals in under 3 minutes and then nothing for the rest of the game. Hak's system will doom us.

If the Flyers lose and Habs, Canes & Bruins win, Flyers will be 27th place in the league. Look at it this way, the worse our record, the closer we'll be to getting rid of Hak and getting Dahlin.
And Hexy. Homer should fire him right now.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I will say this....later in the game, Hagg got caught out of position, it led to a 2-1 with Ghost, who slid on his stomach, but the pass got thru.....but they did not score so it was not even mentioned on our board.

The big thing with Manning is that he has made the mistakes for years and has not learned from them. He doesn't play within himself. He thinks he is better than he is. Whereas Hagg for example, seems to know his limitations so just forgoes most offensive chances.

Enjoy the year with Manning as it should be his last one with us. Time to move on to better players. He will get a job somewhere next year though.
Last one to rip atleast he plays hard and competes not just let guys go to the net. he made a lot of good plays too.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh please :laugh:

The goal against last night was equally, if not more so, on Manning for playing the 1v2 as bad as possible.

Every player gives up odd man rushes once in a while, we've even seen Provorov do it, but they aren't supposed to get scored on 100% of the time it happens.

Manning didn’t play it great but he was defending a turnover caused by sanhiem so how is it equally on him? It’s not like manning turned it over. He also attempted to cut off the pass and it went between his legs. It was actually a good play.

I don’t get why someone can’t come on here and say sanhiem made a bad play. He needs to improve, without your worlds ending. I know a few of you are sensitive about him, but yea without him that goal doesn’t happen. That can be said a few times. At least one other time it cost us a win.

Do you realize that goal happened on the PK?

Do you realize the Flyers are 26th in 5v5 scoring?

Do you realize the Flyers give up the fewest 5v5 goals in the league...by a mile?

We're really focusing on goals against? Yes he made a mistake and it ended up in the back of the net, but if you didn't see all the good he did in that game, well I don't know what to say but you're missing something. He dominated about as much as he could considering the situation. I like Morin, but he's not even close to Sanheim and he's definitely not going to help the team score more.

Yes.
Yes.
No.

I actually said he played a good game but that we can’t afford to have a playey, any player, play a good game and get shots towards to net, but be responsible for multiple goals against. Sanhiem has not scored and has contributed little to offense. Sanhiem has had several poor plays that resulted in goals against.

Would Morin have a better impact on the team? It’s great that we are tightening up on D. Really is. But we can’t score more that a few goals a game max. So until we get a new coach and are able to score more goals, we can’t have blatant errors losing us games. Morin would decrease the amount of goals going in and could even bring more production than sanhiem to this point. If there was no Morin I’d have nothing to say.

-6 in 1st 9 games
+2 in his last 7 games

Yea I said he has played better on D. He’s a lot more responsible in positioning and doesn’t look lost. As I said above if you turn the puck over then the goal is on you. If you do it repeatedly than it’s an issue by definition.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Seems harsh considering Perreault isn't injured and it could easily be argued that it was not intentional.

I will say 3 games.
Yea but he has a one history. If perreault wanted to he could have milked that to the last drop. That was really dumb and dangerous on Gudas’ part. I would think 5-7 but could see it lower.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Manning didn’t play it great but he was defending a turnover caused by sanhiem so how is it equally on him? It’s not like manning turned it over. He also attempted to cut off the pass and it went between his legs. It was actually a good play.

I don’t get why someone can’t come on here and say sanhiem made a bad play. He needs to improve, without your worlds ending. I know a few of you are sensitive about him, but yea without him that goal doesn’t happen. That can be said a few times. At least one other time it cost us a win.

Yes.
Yes.
No.

I actually said he played a good game but that we can’t afford to have a playey, any player, play a good game and get shots towards to net, but be responsible for multiple goals against. Sanhiem has not scored and has contributed little to offense. Sanhiem has had several poor plays that resulted in goals against.

Would Morin have a better impact on the team? It’s great that we are tightening up on D. Really is. But we can’t score more that a few goals a game max. So until we get a new coach and are able to score more goals, we can’t have blatant errors losing us games. Morin would decrease the amount of goals going in and could even bring more production than sanhiem to this point. If there was no Morin I’d have nothing to say.

Yea I said he has played better on D. He’s a lot more responsible in positioning and doesn’t look lost. As I said above if you turn the puck over then the goal is on you. If you do it repeatedly than it’s an issue by definition.
All PMD have a high turnover rate....because they always have the puck. Get used to it.

Yes Sanheim misplayed the puck. It happens. But the Jets still had to skate 200ft, beat another Dman 2-1 and beat a goalie. It's not like he passed it in front of his net to a wide open Jet for a tap in.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
All PMD have a high turnover rate....because they always have the puck. Get used to it.

Yes Sanheim misplayed the puck. It happens. But the Jets still had to skate 200ft, beat another Dman 2-1 and beat a goalie. It's not like he passed it in front of his net to a wide open Jet for a tap in.

Pick one player. Who is most to blame? Silly to even argue it.

As I said, if Sanhiem wants to start producing like a PMD, then I’ll take the turnovers/goals against/OT games lost to a certain extent. He had simply cost us more than he has given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad