Prospect Info: 17th Overall - Lukas Reichel

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What makes you think the caps would’ve done that?
I don't mean them specifically.

Cristall was drafted 40th overall.

I think Kyle could have found a team that would have traded an early 2nd for Reichel when his value was at its highest.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He's not a bust, he's not a top 6 NHLer either at this point and he's struggling to show signs he's capable of being that with more development.
He was a reach with Mercer sitting right behind him.

Peterka was the same draft and I never understood why one would go mid 1st and the other was only in the 2nd round.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The plan for him was perfectly clear. He wanted to play C, he was drafted as a C, so they tried him there. He sucked at it, they put him back where he was clearly comfortable last year, and he has sucked there too.
Clear and wrong are two separate things.

I'm not arguing the logic of their decisions, I thought there was no better time to try, and given the likelihood of most centers drafted being better suited as a wing, it made sense to me that they try to flip somebody.

They got it wrong, plain and simple. If a player fails, then the org missed something one way or another, what the player is responsible for is another matter.

Then the Hawks gave too small of a sample size to get much out of the year. Now they have to spend more time than necessary figuring out what they're going to do with him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Clear and wrong are two separate things.

I'm not arguing the logic of their decisions, I thought there was no better time to try, and given the likelihood of most centers drafted being better suited as a wing, it made sense to me that they try to flip somebody.

They got it wrong, plain and simple. If a player fails, then the org missed something one way or another, what the player is responsible for is another matter.

Then the Hawks gave too small of a sample size to get much out of the year. Now they have to spend more time than necessary figuring out what they're going to do with him.
Reichel wanted to do it, so you just tell him no, we aren't doing it? lol That's dumb, especially in a year that doesn't matter. No better time to try it, even if it doesn't work. They have all of next year with him as well (if they don't trade him), it will be another write off year.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Reichel wanted to do it, so you just tell him no, we aren't doing it? lol That's dumb, especially in a year that doesn't matter. No better time to try it, even if it doesn't work. They have all of next year with him as well (if they don't trade him), it will be another write off year.
The franchise failed so far
The player failed so far.

The "why" a franchise made a decision is part of the failing to pick a part. They own him on the ice, not the other way around.

Franchises never get to stick it all on the players for performance.

Why would anybody want to give either party a pass? They're at 4 years with the player now, in a full rebuild. If he's not a top 6, he doesn't matter and they should have made the decision to move on or a 3 yr extension but they're not there because they botched their side of it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The franchise failed so far
The player failed so far.

The "why" a franchise made a decision is part of the failing to pick a part. They own him on the ice, not the other way around.

Franchises never get to stick it all on the players for performance.

Why would anybody want to give either party a pass? They're at 4 years with the player now, in a full rebuild. If he's not a top 6, he doesn't matter and they should have made the decision to move on or a 3 yr extension but they're not there because they botched their side of it.
The franchise failed what, exactly? Its basically year 1 of the rebuild lol

We have moved on from players after 3 years before, and those players have become much better than where they were once they are let go. We have nothing but time.

Last edited:

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not concerned until it continues next year. I'm willing to chalk up this season as sophomore slump voodoo. His hands have been a nightmare this year, can't accept passes, can't stick handle without losing the puck. These weren't concerns while watching him before. Cat had a year like that where he was whiffing on one timers and losing the puck while stick handling.

I don't know, I'm not saying he'll be better next year but I won't be surprised if he is and I almost expect it.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Reichel went from a guy with fifteen points in 23 games to a guy who won't hit fifteen points in sixty. It's not a coaching issue?
and Marko Dano had 21 pts in 35 games when he was 20 years old. Never even cracked 11 points again

This season's been a massive red flag for Reichel. He most likely will improve but I think we're seeing that his natural physical abilities may not be as useful as we'd hoped. The possibility of a top 6 forward is still there but the odds of that happening have definitely taken a hit

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
and Marko Dano had 21 pts in 35 games when he was 20 years old. Never even cracked 11 points again

This season's been a massive red flag for Reichel. He most likely will improve but I think we're seeing that his natural physical abilities may not be as useful as we'd hoped. The possibility of a top 6 forward is still there but the odds of that happening have definitely taken a hit
Dano could skate really fast and that was about it. Reichel can skate has great hands and has a ton of talent. He's much better than his stats suggest.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
At least he's been sighted for a few shifts.

I still don't understand why KD brought him back to finish the year instead of letting him reset and focus on next year entirely given the amount of adjustments he'll have to make.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
At least he's been sighted for a few shifts.

I still don't understand why KD brought him back to finish the year instead of letting him reset and focus on next year entirely given the amount of adjustments he'll have to make.

He was literally reset by playing in Rockford for a few games and already looks much better shouldn’t be a hard concept

Reactions: Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He has now played 1 season worth of NHL games. Not sure we truly know what he is, 4 years post draft. He feels a lot like watching AA at this point, but less talented. A ton of speed, pretty good hands, meh shot. Poor decision making.

I think post-AHL he seems more engaged and is definitely skating better, but it’s still pretty inconsistent on the end product.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Reichel better get his ass in gear because there's offensive prospects coming to take his job.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Reichels draft year I had the Hawks doing one of three things

Trading up and drafting Seth Jarvis…love Seth Jarvis!

Trading down and drafting JJ Peterka…love JJ Peterka!

Or staying where they were and drafting Noel Gunler…who has flamed out

So Lukas Reichel is what it is…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad