Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
top 3 is a stretch for a draft class that includes Bedard,Michkov,Carlsson,Fantilli,Benson, a few guys just absolutely tearing it up in College etc

I won't say it can't happen but if it does it certainly won't be "easy"
Ugh... Carlsson... Why couldn't the Hockey Gods gift him to the Wings somehow?

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I'm not getting it. In a thread about underwhelming Danielsson or Kasper everyone is so positive comparing them to Larkin, Barzal, etc. Here, when talking about the best underager in SHL since maybe Peter f***ing Forsberg or Marcus Naslund fans look for every minor deficiency in ASP game and make it as a big thing.

This guy at his age is simply magnificent. As of now he is the best from his draft year. We were really lucky to get him at no 17. He has real potential to become offensive defenseman without major gaps at defense.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I'm not getting it. In a thread about underwhelming Danielsson or Kasper everyone is so positive comparing them to Larkin, Barzal, etc. Here, when talking about the best underager in SHL since maybe Peter f***ing Forsberg or Marcus Naslund fans look for every minor deficiency in ASP game and make it as a big thing.

This guy at his age is simply magnificent. As of now he is the best from his draft year. We were really lucky to get him at no 17. He has real potential to become offensive defenseman without major gaps at defense.

not sure who they are but I am very high on Danielson. He is the 2nd center this team needs. I questioned the Kasper pick and still do. I see him as a pesky 3rd liner, not hard to come by.

Reactions: Gniwder

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Tempering expectations, which is fine. This fan base has been burned by "can't miss" prospects like Zadina.

I expect ASP to be good, and I'm usually the Negative Nancy here. I just don't expect him to be generational like Makar, but a defenseman can be elite without having that ridiculous skating ability.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wings fans are still scarred from watching Sproul, Marchenko, Almquist, Ouellette, Kindl, Smith all go from looking like sure-fire top-4 D to busts in the span of like 4 years.

It's ok, show me where the bad Ken Holland hurt you.

I could give a f*** less about those guys. I'm not as impressed by ASP in the SHL as I was Seider, Edvinsson, and relative to their draft position AlJo and Wallinder. I'm not discounting his stats but the fact remains that he is still relatively small and only an average skater with above average agility/edges. And he's got a lot of work to do in his own end before I start labeling him as anything other than a good prospect.

Reactions: Realgud

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I could give a f*** less about those guys. I'm not as impressed by ASP in the SHL as I was Seider, Edvinsson, and relative to their draft position AlJo and Wallinder. I'm not discounting his stats but the fact remains that he is still relatively small and only an average skater with above average agility/edges. And he's got a lot of work to do in his own end before I start labeling him as anything other than a good prospect.

Who gives a f*** about relative comparisons based on draft positions? Has he shown more at the SHL level in his D+1 than AlJo or Wallinder? Is he a better prospect in absolute terms compared to them? That’s what we should be focused on. Shocking that a player taken 17th hasn’t been as dominant as players taken at 6th. Not to mention that Seider had already played a full season in the AHL when he played in the SHL.

We don’t get bonus points because a good player came from a later draft position, so let’s stay on task and talk in absolutes, not relatives.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Lots of room for rational disagreement about ASP. His stature and stride hurt him a little and don't think he'll grow much more than what he is now. But, he seems to have big smarts and lots of good ideas about how goals can be scored, including the really good idea of unleashing bombs and getting shots on net. Plus, he seems to give a shit about defense even if he has to improve a little. There's a level of "want-to" in his game that suggests he'll be able to adapt to NA style games and continue to improve.

I try to set expectations low. For me, I see a more mobile Marek Zidlicky as a pretty safe expectation. If, like Zidlicky, he turns out to be the highest scoring defenseman from his Draft class, that would be pretty cool.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm not getting it. In a thread about underwhelming Danielson or Kasper everyone is so positive comparing them to Larkin, Barzal, etc. Here, when talking about the best underager in SHL since maybe Peter f***ing Forsberg or Marcus Naslund fans look for every minor deficiency in ASP game and make it as a big thing.

You sure about that. As far as his defence is concerned pretty much everyone agrees it is bad or not great at all. When people are hoping he can become better than Ghost defensively that is all you need to know. He sounds like a great offensive minded defender who will always not be great in his own end.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
You sure about that. As far as his defence is concerned pretty much everyone agrees it is bad or not great at all. When people are hoping he can become better than Ghost defensively that is all you need to know. He sounds like a great offensive minded defender who will always not be great in his own end.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, and I'll also concede that the impressions I've read are very likely biased Wings fans ... but I certainly haven't gotten the impression that he's a bad defender. I mean, he's playing 20 minutes in the SHL playoffs right now for a top team. I would think if he was flat out "bad" he wouldn't be trusted to log that kind of time.

Reactions: JBeast and DamonDRW

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
He's the same size as Cale Makar and Adam Fox - bigger than Quinn Hughes. We have a good amount of large players but we lack the skillset he can bring. He did finish with the worst +/- on Skelleftea, not that it's the end-all-be-all but it doesn't look hot.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Has anyone actually watched him play this series? He was -2 in 23+ mins in an OT loss yesterday.

How is his defense and is he getting tough assignments?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Huh? Can you show me a single scouting report that he has bad defense ? Everything I’ve read says he is a solid defender but offense is where he shines. Nothing about being a liability.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Huh? Can you show me a single scouting report that he has bad defense ? Everything I’ve read says he is a solid defender but offense is where he shines. Nothing about being a liability.

Never said scouting reports. Plenty of people on this site, and no one says anything good about his defence. Plenty of people who watched him and said he isn't good.

Reactions: Realgud

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I'll be impressed if ASP throws a revenge hip check like this:

Nice find. Watching that gives me warm and fuzzy feelings. And Zids was 38, just about done, playing for a crap team.

Might be a penalty these days but wouldn't be surprised if ASP is up for trying that. He's got a healthy compete streak in him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nice find. Watching that gives me warm and fuzzy feelings. And Zids was 38, just about done, playing for a crap team.

Might be a penalty these days but wouldn't be surprised if ASP is up for trying that. He's got a healthy compete streak in him.

Hip checks are illegal now, Zid got 2 minutes for that. Wilson hit him earlier in the game, you could tell Zid was pissed.

2 decades ago, that was a clean hit.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hip checks are illegal now, Zid got 2 minutes for that. Wilson hit him earlier in the game, you could tell Zid was pissed.

2 decades ago, that was a clean hit.
Hip checks are still only illegal when it's below the knees, the game has just become so damn fast that hip checking is almost impossible to execute anymore.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Has anyone actually watched him play this series? He was -2 in 23+ mins in an OT loss yesterday.

How is his defense and is he getting tough assignments?
Well, if he was 6'4 and a defensive stud to go along with offensive talent he would have been #1OA in the draft. Overall he's been pretty great defensively these playoffs, certainly not getting sheltered and for the most part he's able to make the stops he needs to make and move the puck out of the zone. But he's still ~5'11 or something, pretty much the youngest guy on the ice, and his defense isn't what you write home about.

Reactions: Realgud and RRhoads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad