Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Two questions.. If ASP played in Detroit next season. Do you think he would be worse defensively then Gostisbehere? and this one is a little odd but do you think he would be better on the power play then Perron? I'm picturing ASP taking those little mini one timers Perron takes but having a lot more mustard behind them.

At the beginning of next season there is no way ASP is better than Ghost defensively. He can/should be better afer certain period of time maybe even end of next season, but asking him to adjust to smaller ice surfice and have giant jump in quality of competition while still having natural development process going on is quite a task. Edvinsson was not ready last year and he was better defensively than ASP

Reactions: lilidk and izlez

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
ASP's season was every bit as good as any of the other SHL D+1 seasons, so I would find it hard to believe that he suddenly becomes the one we handle differently.
Seider, Raymond, Ed have all been in similar situations no reason why he'd be any different..
But ASP ain't Seider, Ray, Ed or Kasper. ASP overally is much more rawer case, he's developmental path is closer to AlJo and Wallinder than to the names above and i think ASP's offensive flair has blinded folk of his flaws. Defensive game and skating, SHL is a perfect place learn both and get some private lessons from Kronwall.

Reactions: WF19 and Realgud

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
But ASP ain't Seider, Ray, Ed or Kasper. ASP overally is much more rawer case, he's developmental path is closer to AlJo and Wallinder than to the names above and i think ASP's offensive flair has blinded folk of his flaws. Defensive game and skating, SHL is a perfect place learn both and get some private lessons from Kronwall.
Every single scouting report on Pellikka is absolutely glowing on his skating, and his defensive game is already solid, if not spectacular, at the SHL level.

ASP needs to be in the AHL next year to adjust his game to NA ice. There's no reason to keep him in the SHL for another season so he can play behind 30 year olds who will never see a game in the NHL.

Reactions: WF19 and DamonDRW

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Every single scouting report on Pellikka is absolutely glowing on his skating, and his defensive game is already solid, if not spectacular, at the SHL level.

ASP needs to be in the AHL next year to adjust his game to NA ice. There's no reason to keep him in the SHL for another season so he can play behind 30 year olds who will never see a game in the NHL.

I can see both sides of the argument, but I will say that he's been seeing a ton of ice time in the playoffs so far for a good SHL team. Not sure how much more refined you want his game to get if he's already being trusted in these types of situations...

Reactions: DamonDRW

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

We established last page that he's 5th on his team in ice time per game among defenseman (and I'm sure he got more PP time than some of those other guys). He's got the worst +/- on his team by a decent amount. I'm curious how that possibly comes out to "spectacular" defensive play.

I watched a little bit of Skelleftea this year and that is not what I saw when I watched

(Edit: Looking back, you are the one that has consistently had very very very very high praise and expectations for ASP. At least you're consistent, we just have different opinions)

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Ehh. I'd say his defensive game is decent for an 18 year old. It's clearly not great though. He's actually looked really good defensively so far in the playoffs though which is a good sign.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We established last page that he's 5th on his team in ice time per game among defenseman (and I'm sure he got more PP time than some of those other guys). He's got the worst +/- on his team by a decent amount. I'm curious how that possibly comes out to "spectacular" defensive play.

I watched a little bit of Skelleftea this year and that is not what I saw when I watched

Did we confirm that? Because I am on the SHL website and he is 4th among his team in average TOI for Skelleftea. 23:51, 17:55, 17:51 17:38

So he's essentially the same usage as their #2 or #3. Less than 20 seconds is negligible. Situation driven TOI is negligible. If he is being boosted because of powerplay time and no PK time, someone has to be picking up PK time where he isn't. Not to say that there isn't some development left to be had defensively, but we didn't exactly draft him to be a transformative defensive stalwart.

For full transparency, Edvinsson played 19:42 in his final SHL season, but it appears as though Frolunda deployed their defensemen differently than Skelleftea does now.

Don't really get why you are pushing back on the quote you are posting here. Ultimately the development path for every player is going to be different, and I agree with Santos that I think there is 0 reason to rush ASP. Maybe he comes to America next year, and plays in Grand Rapids. I'm all for that. I don't think he would be ready for NHL ready until at least the following season though.

It isn't really push back on the idea that he stays in Sweden, that would be shrug worthy. I am moreso questioning whether that is the likely developmental path we would employ given the recent track record of the Wings bringing over European prospects drafted in the first round by the end of their D+1 season.

You think that ASP is a drastically different case than Kasper at this stage? Kasper to me was a developmental play; yes, he is responsible, has good size, is fairly well rounded, but he also was nowhere near as polished as Seider or Raymond or Edvinsson in my eyes. I think this boils down to the proximity to development staff, as good as Kronwall is to have as an asset, having prospects learn North American game within the Wings actual system appears to be something we value.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

It's improved defensive play. Not spectacular. He's not a spectator in his own end anymore but there's a lot of work that needs to be done in his game.

As far as his skating goes, it's better than Hronek but he's still no Hughes brother or young Erik Karlsson. Great edges and pivots but acceleration and speed need to improve. They'll get better if he gets stronger.

Reactions: Realgud

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I Agree to disagree. The kid just played a team high 42 minutes in a game that went to triple ot and he one it for them. Clearly he is trusted on the ice and can obviously play monster minutes.

Maybe it's another year in the SHL but If he does come over to NA it wouldn't blow my mind if he made the team out of camp. Assuming he is gonna be putting in work this off-season knowing there is a chance it can be done..long story short, is it unlikely to happen? Yes. Is it impossible? Not at all.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If I hear you guys correctly, he should be with Detroit, RIGHT NOW!

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
2023 Red Wings first-round pick Axel Sandin Pellikka earns an award from Sweden's hockey writers association as the top Sweden-born defenseman in the SHL or SDHL

Bust
Good for him but its completeeeely undeserved and all of hockey-sweden are scratching their heads.
He plays 6 minutes less than the nr1 stud on his team, he isnt even the best D on his team. Maybe 10-15th in the league.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

No one has described ASP "spectacular" defensively, not even in the junior level. And those who wrote those reports clearly haven't seen much of his skating, smaller d-man like him should be able to really move. @OgeeOgelthorpe pointed out very well, speed and acceleration. It's still in junior level, but that's not really a surprise because he's barely 19.

NA ice ain't really that mystic for europeans. More than adjusting to that, he really needs to put work on skating and defensive play. Defenseman's number one job is still to defend and skating is needed regardless of the ice or position. Muscle core develops with age, right now ASP gets pushed away way too easily.
You think that ASP is a drastically different case than Kasper at this stage?
Absolutely, defensemen always takes longer to develop. Like i said ASP gets pushed around too easily but Kasper was pushing other people around. Kasper's skating was also on better level. Physically and defensively ASP is closer to junior level than Kasper was at this stage.
The kid just played a team high 42 minutes in a game that went to triple ot and he one it for them. Clearly he is trusted on the ice and can obviously play monster minutes.
Very true but Skellefteå is missing their 1D, if he would have been healthy im quite sure that Pudas would have eaten majority of those minutes.

But that is a good thing, coach over there trusts him and is willing to give him big minutes, even in a close game like that. All the more reasons to keep him SHL. Throw raw 19-year old ASP in AHL to "adjust" and Watson drops him playing sheltered 3rd pair minutes. I think the case is quite clear, keep ASP in SHL.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
ASP

Floor - Ghost
Ceiling - Makar

That's a rather wide range considering Ghost can't defend and Makar is generational talent with elite skating. While I believe ASP's skating will improve, it'll never reach Makar level. That kind of speed shows well before draft age, like with McDavid, Makar, or Larkin aka Helm with hands.

Reactions: heyfolks

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
That's a rather wide range considering Ghost can't defend and Makar is generational talent with elite skating. While I believe ASP's skating will improve, it'll never reach Makar level. That kind of speed shows well before draft age, like with McDavid, Makar, or Larkin aka Helm with hands.

100% agree on the range. That was kind of my point (in reflecting on the comments). For ASP to be successful on the NHL he has to be threat offensively, and competent defensively. After watching him at juniors, I think he'll be in the SEL for another season and then in GR for 1-2 years. That already puts him behind Makar. I agree with you on ASP's skating. He is a small guy, so he'll be an offensive d'man or a Rafalski type. I am not saying I don't like the guy, but I think he'll be far closer to this floor than the ceiling.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
100% agree on the range. That was kind of my point (in reflecting on the comments). For ASP to be successful on the NHL he has to be threat offensively, and competent defensively. After watching him at juniors, I think he'll be in the SEL for another season and then in GR for 1-2 years. That already puts him behind Makar. I agree with you on ASP's skating. He is a small guy, so he'll be an offensive d'man or a Rafalski type. I am not saying I don't like the guy, but I think he'll be far closer to this floor than the ceiling.
For sure, definitely closer to ghost than makar, but honestly a modern day rafalski sounds about right. And I for one would love today's rafalski on this team. Side note, the vintage raf went undrafted and spent years in Europe, so I can happily wait.

Reactions: heyfolks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad