Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
If you're hoping for a lynchpin at 17, even in this draft, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Future PPQB is a need for this team, and now they have a guy who can be that.

It was 17th overall. Hronek is probably #13 or #14 in a redraft, in what was also a deep draft. Another Hronek at #17 seems like good enough value to me. And to be clear, as much of a fan of Hronek as I was, I think ASP has a higher ceiling, at least offensively.

As much as I liked the idea of Moore at 17, I'm fine with this pick.
I was saying Hronek wasn’t going to be a lynchpin here, so why would we need another Hronek. You’re missing the point. This team needs to take a swing for some forward scoring and this was the draft to do it. I’m not just wheeling out this talking point…it’s been talked about for years. Maybe you’re new to taking about the 23 draft class? This was a deep forward draft pool, and we basically passed on forward talent in favor of…Hronek ( oh, but younger Hronek who fits our timeline better…yay, omg)

Reactions: Hot Wings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Can you guys give reasons/details for these opinions?
What I've seen of the way he plays he looks like a smarter hockey player who handles the puck better that has an attacking mentality toward the net. Hronek has more bite to his game and a better 1 time shot.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Can you guys give reasons/details for these opinions?
Combination of....

- Much better production at the same age, same levels
- Having seen ASP do things with the puck at the point I haven't see AlJo do
- Scout projections of ASP vs what AlJo has accomplished to-date

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe we traded Hronek for 2 Hronek’s!

When Holland traded down to not take Chychryn...

... they got Cholowski at 1st and Hronek at 2nd...

... then Yzerman traded Hronek for 1st (busted Cholowski) and 2nd (Hronek himself).

And drafted Sandin Pellikka + Mr X to be the next Hronek or Chychrun.

• Haha
Reactions: Al48

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He isn't my cup of tea, and I loved a couple of guys on the board when we took him, but I am pulling like hell for him at this point. I seem to remember in international play thinking that he was a good, smaller player, but average offensively. If there is something more there offensively, perhaps he can contribute and develop into a real asset. We do have plenty of guys with size to help him and he is a righty and regarded as smart and mobile. He does have some things going for him at the end of the day.

On to tomorrow...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I've seen of the way he plays he looks like a smarter hockey player who handles the puck better that has an attacking mentality toward the net. Hronek has more bite to his game and a better 1 time shot.
I think he’s a smart player. I think he has a chance to be a player like Stralman was in Tampa Bay.

I have doubts he is dynamic enough offensively (or skating wise) to be a PPQB on a first unit or a better PPQB than Seider.

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I was saying Hronek wasn’t going to be a lynchpin here, so why would we need another Hronek. You’re missing the point. This team needs to take a swing for some forward scoring and this was the draft to do it. I’m not just wheeling out this talking point…it’s been talked about for years. Maybe you’re new to taking about the 23 draft class? This was a deep forward draft pool, and we basically passed on forward talent in favor of…Hronek ( oh, but younger Hronek who fits our timeline better…yay, omg)
I know what you were saying and I'm telling you that framing it as "not a lynchpin so not worth it" is the wrong way to go about it. That's the point. Fact is, Hronek filled an important role in Detroit as a PPQB, and now, as much as I love Seider, there's a hole where Hronek once was. This team still needs a future PPQB. Sure, Hronek wasn't a core piece, but the team still needs a guy in that role.

Your opinion is that Detroit needed to take home run swings at scoring forwards, and that's fine. The fact that they didn't doesn't make ASP a bad prospect though.

If me being ok with ASP makes me analogous to "new to talking about the 23 draft class," what does that make Yzerman and his scouting team who actually drafted ASP? :laugh:

Too many of you guys get caught up on the narratives leading up to drafts, and then get upset when the story line unfolds differently, where in reality so many of those narratives wind up being inaccurate or false when it's all said and done. It was a deep forward draft. Great. Doesn't really matter though. Wings had their list, ASP was the highest player on it when they picked, and he filled a need. No-brainer.

Reactions: Dtybur

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some information:

Sandin Pellikka has put up big numbers in Sweden's junior league scoring over a point per game and a goal every second game. He also has gotten some ice time for a top SHL team in Skelleftea. He's played well with Sweden's U18 team, including being named best defenseman at the U18 worlds, and he got a large role with Sweden's world juniors team, especially for a 17-year-old.

Sandin Pellikka is a highly creative and intelligent puck-mover. He has excellent puck skills, showing the ability to beat opponents often with skill. He can improvise well with the puck, while also showing strong playmaking ability with the poise to make plays from the blue line at the highest levels. He is a goal-scoring threat who can score from range but also pinches well to get scoring opportunities. He skates well enough, and can make plays on the move creating offense off the rush and from blue-line activations. Sandin Pellikka lacks ideal NHL size for a defenseman but he competes well and doesn't shy from using his body to lay into opposing forwards. His defense will be his main question at the NHL level, but I think he plays hard enough to be a top-four defenseman.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
I know what you were saying and I'm telling you that framing it as "not a lynchpin so not worth it" is the wrong way to go about it. That's the point. Fact is, Hronek filled an important role in Detroit as a PPQB, and now, as much as I love Seider, there's a hole where Hronek once was. This team still needs a future PPQB. Sure, Hronek wasn't a core piece, but the team still needs a guy in that role.

Your opinion is that Detroit needed to take home run swings at scoring forwards, and that's fine. The fact that they didn't doesn't make ASP a bad prospect though.

If me being ok with ASP makes me analogous to "new to talking about the 23 draft class," what does that make Yzerman and his scouting team who actually drafted ASP? :laugh:

Too many of you guys get caught up on the narratives leading up to drafts, and then get upset when the story line unfolds differently, where in reality so many of those narratives wind up being inaccurate or false when it's all said and done. It was a deep forward draft. Great. Doesn't really matter though. Wings had their list, ASP was the highest player on it when they picked, and he filled a need. No-brainer.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying in that he may not be a bad pick, but I just don’t know if he’s the right pick given our needs. It’s a bit tough seeing a guy like Perrault still on the board and going with a defenseman given we have Seider and Edvinsson. Can you have too many good D? No. I think the disappointment couples with two safe forward picks…guys who are projected as 2nd line Centers, and we have no scoring.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would also liked Perreault.

But fine with this too.

Yzerplan is more clear after every draft.

- Great puckmoving defence (Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson, Pellikka)
- Defence with huge size (size already overblown, so you can take smaller Pellikka)
- Defensive grinder centers (Kasper, Danielson, Copp)
- Monster goalie (Cossa)
- Skill coming from wingers, which we really don't have (Berggren, Raymond only)
- but wingers are cheaper to get from UFA or at trades

Everything is built through defence and low-scoring game in high-scoring era.
- Low-scoring controls the cap. = smart.
- On "final day" you have very low-scoring but winning team, which has lot of cap space, thanks to right defensive culture, You can add pieces thanks to cap space.
- We will be the new era New Jersey Devils on the modern era NHL.

BTW,

Devils will probably be the modern era Red Wings, but afre short success just killed by the cap.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying in that he may not be a bad pick, but I just don’t know if he’s the right pick given our needs. It’s a bit tough seeing a guy like Perrault still on the board and going with a defenseman given we have Seider and Edvinsson. Can you have too many good D? No. I think the disappointment couples with two safe forward picks…guys who are projected as 2nd line Centers, and we have no scoring.
Obviously not everyone is going to have the same philosophy as Yzerman, and not everyone is willing to trust him either. That's all fair. I just think it's too easy to slam a pick for being bad when these kids still have so many key years of development left. Saying definitely that a kid was the wrong pick the night of the draft is just too presumptive, given so many historical examples of the same things being said before the player breaks out (i.e. Larkin, Seider). Why not just be suspicious and open to the idea that maybe we don't have the entire book on some of these kids yet?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
He averaged 1.16 points per game in SWE Jr in his draft season. Big numbers.

Has any defenseman topped that production in their draft year in that league?
I know guys like Karlsson and Brannstrom did not. Hedman was already playing with the big boys.

Reactions: Dtybur

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He averaged 1.16 points per game in SWE Jr in his draft season. Big numbers.

Has any defenseman topped that production in their draft year in that league? I know guys like Karlsson and Brannstrom did not.
1688009542637.png

Reactions: Holden Caufield

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Not a fan of this pick, I thought the forward options were much better. Would have taken Barlow or Perreault with this one.

Same. I think this was just the wrong pick by Detroit.

Well, he’s part of the organization now. Here’s to hoping ASP gets some great mentoring from the Nick’s in Sweden and pans out for us.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I have warmed up to this pick quite, seems like Axel plays with a little more physicality that I thought.

He will compliment one of our monster LDs nicely in a few years.

Heard ASP say in his interview right after getting drafted that he plans on playing in the SHL next season. Any idea who with? Please someone tell me Rogle.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Same. I think this was just the wrong pick by Detroit.

Well, he’s part of the organization now. Here’s to hoping ASP gets some great mentoring from the Nick’s in Sweden and pans out for us.
I eagerly await the days when we can re-engage in debate over a smaller but excellent 2nd-pairing RHD who you wrongly think sucks :popcorn::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad