Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Really wanted Oliver Moore. I like the puck movement traits. I wasn't as high on him, but I hope they can develop him right, he needs to become that PP1 guy in my opinion.
I did as well, but this kid is no slouch.

He will definitely be a fan favourite in years to come.

I thought he would for sure be drafted higher up.

I feel like our first pick was more safe and this one is higher risk.

Overall 2 solid prospects added to the pool today. Hopefully the pan out!!

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If you guys take a step back and think about the statement “did we just trade Hronek for a younger Hronek” which multiple are feeling…that’s a f***ing win.

More controlled years, lower cost, and we got a second round pick along with him. That’s an easy swap on paper.
I guess that is true, if you are high on Hronek as a player, which I was always meh about him. If he becomes better than Hronek, great.

Like I mentioned before, I trust Yzerman on first round D man and add in Hakan had to of blessed this pick as well, it is easy to warm up to it. Our D core needed a RHD prospect for sure and if this guy hits, our blue line in three years could be great.

Now, go bonkers on goal scoring potential in round 2 please.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Definitely see the risk in this prospect but I like that Yzerman is proving that he definitely has a preferred mold for his blue liners, but he’s not dogmatic about it. I think a lot of fans lean into the Swedish thing a little too hard, but this is the type of pick I actually do feel better about when you think about the entire staff signing off on it.

Again there’s risk, but I like injecting a little risk with the amount of assets we have. Think he adds a unique layer to our blueline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Defencemen gone in this draft:

5. MTL - RD Reinbacher
6. ARI - LD Simashev
11. VAN - RD Willander
17. DET - RD Sandin Pellikka
22. PHI - RD Bonk
24. NSH - LD Molendyk

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
Definitely see the risk in this prospect but I like that Yzerman is proving that he definitely has a preferred mold for his blue liners, but he’s not dogmatic about it. I think a lot of fans lean into the Swedish thing a little too hard, but this is the type of pick I actually do feel better about when you think about the entire staff signing off on it.

Again there’s risk, but I like injecting a little risk with the amount of assets we have. Think he adds a unique layer to our blueline.

way less risky pick at 17 than Danielson at 9

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tom Willander went to Vancouver as well.

I was already fixing that mistake, but you were faster to comment. :)

I was ready to make a statement, that Red Wings will have the best young defenceman core of whole NHL, if we pick Reinbacher.

Think, it's the same after picking SandinPellikka.

And this pick damn Selke-Center Danielson.

Defence, defence, defence.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Unlike Hronek, he can actually play defense.
Hronek's defense looked just fine when he played with Maatta. Hronek had AHL level partners until this season, aside from Leddy who half assed it the entire time he was in Detroit.

I don't hate the pick, but there were other players that I preferred. Not to mention, how many PMDs does the team really need?

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
If you guys take a step back and think about the statement “did we just trade Hronek for a younger Hronek” which multiple are feeling…that’s a f***ing win.

More controlled years, lower cost, and we got a second round pick along with him. That’s an easy swap on paper.

Sure, perhaps. But the key here is that this new Hronek fits the Wings timeline much better than the old Hronek.
Sorry, but a player like Hronek isn’t going to be a lynchpin player here. This draft was waaay too deep with offensive talent to go for f-ing Hronek. Hr wasn’t some magnificent player, so I don’t even know what the heck you all are talking about. Guy has one decent season and you’re all acting like he was some clutch performer. This was a poor pick given our prospect pool

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hearing some descriptions of him, he sounds a lot like Albert Johansson. Anybody have opinions on how that is/isn’t accurate?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’m shocked Detroit would pick this type of player.
Wanted a couple of the forwards that were still on the board.

But to be honest, I had him ranked much higher than Willander and he was easily the best defenseman on the board.
He actually outproduced Erik Karlsson in his draft year. He is an interesting prospect.

This pick I can warm up to…

Reactions: Ulysses31

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I know I've made a couple of jokes about ASP leading into the draft but truthfully, I'm fine with the pick. Outside of the scouting reports, or tape, draft capital, and obvious comp back to Hronek (which I don't think there's that many similarities between them).

What basically sells me on him more than literally anything at this point is this dude has been playing in Sweden and there is absolutely zero f****** chance that Stevie takes this kid without Hakan, Lids, and Kronwall all vouching for him.

This kid was good enough and quite frankly probably marked by those guys for the last three seasons (since he played in Burger's club), and if this kid is good enough for arguably one of the greatest scouts of all time, and two all-time great players who were both prized for their poise, intellect, and command of the game - if ASP stood up 2-4 years of regular viewings from that trio and still got a pass where they would tell Stevie "Draft him", I'm sure as hell not going to argue that.

The fact he's Swedish, has been in the Swedish system, plays defense, is known specifically for how smart he is and had the very best who were known for all those things too say "yeah, he's it"

Sold

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry, but a player like Hronek isn’t going to be a lynchpin player here. This draft was waaay too deep with offensive talent to go for f-ing Hronek. Hr wasn’t some magnificent player, so I don’t even know what the heck you all are talking about. Guy has one decent season and you’re all acting like he was some clutch performer. This was a poor pick given our prospect pool
If you're hoping for a lynchpin at 17, even in this draft, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Future PPQB is a need for this team, and now they have a guy who can be that.

It was 17th overall. Hronek is probably #13 or #14 in a redraft, in what was also a deep draft. Another Hronek at #17 seems like good enough value to me. And to be clear, as much of a fan of Hronek as I was, I think ASP has a higher ceiling, at least offensively.

As much as I liked the idea of Moore at 17, I'm fine with this pick.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hearing some descriptions of him, he sounds a lot like Albert Johansson. Anybody have opinions on how that is/isn’t accurate?
Much better offensive ability. Johansson may be able to hold his own with moderate point production, but ASP has #1 PPQB upside. AlJo does not.

Reactions: izlez

tabness

GUCCY (pray for GAZA)
Apr 4, 2014
Sandy Pelican!

I really don't know nothing about prospects at this point since I can't be bothered but I watched the world juniors and this little guy looked a bit overwhelmed but had some real good finesse skills, hopefully he develops into a superstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad