GDT: #17 New Jersey Devils v.s. Pittsburg Penguins: Slapshot Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'd like to see Elias center the third line. Put him between Tlusty and Tootoo, drop Yayo down between Gio and Wild Thing. Think that may actually bring that elusive bottom six scoring.

This is exactly what I would do, but I have a feeling Patty will end up as the 3LW for a few games before moving up to the top six.

I know he had an off year last season but so did a huge chunk of the team. To me, he's ageless. His game is mostly based in finesse rather than strictly north/south so his drop in speed really doesn't matter too much - I think he'll be a big time contributor

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Just watched the game on dvr. They kicked the **** out of Pittsburgh and it was absolutely glorious. What a game. They looked like a well oiled machine tonight.

A week and a half until Thanksgiving. If this road trip goes well, we just may have a better season on our hands than anyone could have ever imagined.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Another great win. The defense had a great game. They didn't waste any time clearing the zone. They looked almost like the Blues did against us the other night.

I don't get the Josefson hate, though. He's been good, just unlucky. Way better than Tlusty IMO.

Tootoo-Josefson-Elias
Tlustly-Gio-Farnham

That would be my bottom 6 when Elias returns.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This Devils team is easy to like. Penguins are basically Crosby, Malkin and the rest is last year's Sabres. They are seriously bad.

Yeah they're pretty bad. Having Rutherford as a GM doesn't inspire much confidence either.

It's pretty much Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, and a bunch of trash. What happened to Chris Kunitz? Has he been injured? He's pretty washed up at this point, as is Pascal Dupuis. It seems neither can stay healthy these past couple years either.

And these are 3 winnable games coming up. Calgary and Edmonton we should beat, Vancouver is in a tailspin lately on this road trip.

Please just start off with a win in Calgary, so I don't have to deal with the invasion of the Calgarian roaches when I laugh at their pieces of cardboard in net and their fraud coach.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Yeah they're pretty bad. Having Rutherford as a GM doesn't inspire much confidence either.

It's pretty much Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, and a bunch of trash. What happened to Chris Kunitz? Has he been injured? He's pretty washed up at this point, as is Pascal Dupuis. It seems neither can stay healthy these past couple years either.

You are a little off and it makes it even funnier. They have kessel, hornqvist, perron and bonino. Their forwards should be phenomenal.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Another great win. The defense had a great game. They didn't waste any time clearing the zone. They looked almost like the Blues did against us the other night.

I don't get the Josefson hate, though. He's been good, just unlucky. Way better than Tlusty IMO.

Tootoo-Josefson-Elias
Tlustly-Gio-Farnham

That would be my bottom 6 when Elias returns.

I would switch Tlusty with Tootoo. Tlustly is a skilled player, maybe Elias can get him going. He would be a complete waste has a 4th liner. Did play well last night (Tlustly), one of the few games I can say that about him.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
TG: The Devils, who outshot the Penguins 37-21, are a remarkable 15-2-1 in their last 18 games against Penguins at Prudential Center dating back to the 2008-09 season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Devils are 6th in the league in goals against and 4th in the league shots against.

Defense has been pretty good :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wrote a post around March or sometime at the end of last season. saying all the Devils had to was get their goal differential in positive territory to be a playoff contender and they didn't need star forwards to do it, that it could be done by a little more offense (we are rank 21st in Goals for) and the growth of our defense (currently 6th in Goals against) Currently +3 goal differential.

I should dig that post up. But it is exactly what I outlined. It's also crucial why we don't trade any of our 3 young Dmen.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I wrote a post around March or sometime at the end of last season. saying all the Devils had to was get their goal differential in positive territory to be a playoff contender and they didn't need star forwards to do it, that it could be done by a little more offense (we are rank 21st in Goals for) and the growth of our defense (currently 6th in Goals against) Currently +3 goal differential.

I should dig that post up. But it is exactly what I outlined. It's also crucial why we don't trade any of our 3 young Dmen.

i said they needed to bring their shot volume up to be better…..dont really know if roughly 1.5 shots a game can make a big difference but at least its an improvement from last season

26.1 vs 24.5

both are 29th overall in the respective seasons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i said they needed to bring their shot volume up to be better…..dont really know if roughly 1.5 shots a game can make a big difference but at least its an improvement from last season

26.1 vs 24.5

both are 29th overall in the respective seasons
The thing that makes me most happy is what is happening right now is this is the Devil age old formula for success. Team defense and distributed scoring...although the distribution isn't as good as it needs to be in my opinion to win this way...but that can and hopefully will get better.

This team is a big thumb in the nose to the concept of the "New NHL" or having to lose for 5 years to get a "star forward" for a rebuild. This is goaltending, defense and workman-like forwards contributing and it's exactly what devils M.O. has been for 30 years...If Shero and Hynes continue to embrace this, I'm the biggest supporter.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The thing that makes me most happy is what is happening right now is this is the Devil age old formula for success. Team defense and distributed scoring...although the distribution isn't as good as it needs to be in my opinion to win this way...but that can and hopefully will get better.

This team is a big thumb in the nose to the concept of the "New NHL" or having to lose for 5 years to get a "star forward" for a rebuild. This is goaltending, defense and workman-like forwards contributing and it's exactly what devils M.O. has been for 30 years...If Shero and Hynes continue to embrace this, I'm the biggest supporter.

There is definitely a traditional Devils aura about the team, at least in my opinion. We still have a lot of our old identity which is nice to see. This is a team that is more than the sum of its parts right now, and that's what I like to see when I watch a team sport.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yesterday reminded me of an old Devils win...like a 90s devils win.

Me too. I said to my wife last night that this team reminds me of the early 90's Devils teams that weren't very good but even though they weren't very good you could feel the directional change. They went frommmissing the playoffs in 2 of 3 years from 89 to 91 to the Eastern Conference Finals in 94 to the cup in 95....I can only hope for that kind of transformation, but why not?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Last night, on top of the past several years, shows you how from the Pens perspective focusing on stacking your offense and neglecting the defense is going to make it difficult to do much in this league. The offense can do so much but it's that pyramid/domino effect, how can they do much when they don't have a good support base behind them?

Part of that is Sheros doing from his time there.

But now that Shero had that go around, hopefully learned some things along the way and being that he has a nice base in place to build on here, you hope he will be able to see how having this solid defense in place and building from the net out is going to be beneficial in this league.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Well it's a little early in the process to declare anything. And it's not like defense and goaltending was something that went out of fashion.

But great start. and yeah balanced scoring is something that will need to happen for this to keep up.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Last night, on top of the past several years, shows you how from the Pens perspective focusing on stacking your offense and neglecting the defense is going to make it difficult to do much in this league. The offense can do so much but it's that pyramid/domino effect, how can they do much when they don't have a good support base behind them?

But now that Shero had that go around, hopefully learned some things along the way and being that he has a nice base in place to build on here, you hope he will be able to see how having this solid defense in place and building from the net out is going to be beneficial in this league.

Can you really blame Shero? Crosby and Malkin fell into his lap from horrible teams before him. When you get two players like that you are evenyually forced to use a huge portion of your cap to satisfy them...and other needs become almost impossible to fill.

It's what happened in Tampa in 2004 with Vinny, Richards and St.Louis getting massive pay days.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

To be fair, Shero inherited a team with Malkin, Crosby, and Fleury. Malkin and Crosby turned into superstars so he basically had to give them the deals he did. Once that happens, then you have too many eggs in one basket and the team around suffers a bit unless you develop well which they failed to do since they tried to trade away assets/picks to contend each year.

Now, Shero inherits Schneider, Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Henrique, and Gelinas but few forwards. Henrique and Schneider are signed to incredible deals (Thanks Lou) and Shero locked Larsson up to a killer contract. This team is going to be built like Lou wanted it to, but with Shero's ideas of how to build it. And right now, we are getting a lot of value for our contracts.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Can you really blame Shero? Crosby and Malkin fell into his lap from horrible teams before him. When you get two players like that you are evenyually forced to use a huge portion of your cap to satisfy them...and other needs become almost impossible to fill.

It's what happened in Tampa in 2004 with Vinny, Richards and St.Louis getting massive pay days.

Agreed. One of the biggest criticisms of Shero in Pittsburgh was that he too highly valued puck moving defenseman and didn't draft enough forwards to help Crosby, so it's not like he neglected the defensive side of the puck. When you look at first round picks like Joe Morrow, Simon Despres, Derrick Pouliot, and Olli Maata, you can't say he only focused on forwards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well it's a little early in the process to declare anything. And it's not like defense and goaltending was something that went out of fashion.

Especially the last few years when scoring's gone down and down anyway...the 'new NHL' lasted from 2005-2010, maybe 2011. So far this year the 2.67 GA average is just a tick above the three seasons from 2001-2004 pre lockout. Not to mention last season's scoring leader (Benn) had just 87 points.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad