GDT: 160319 Sharks vs Rangers 1pm PT CSNCA

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I love everything about that play. Donskoi's pass was amazing, but Ward's shot was a beaut too. Top cheese, on one knee. Just gorgeous all around.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Bring on Chicago and Washington! We could definitely beat the Caps and the Hawks have been sneaky bad for a while now.

Unfortunately, we will have to go through LA and Anaheim, which I'm not confidant about.

Whatever team from that comes out of California to the WCF will be chewed the **** up.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Late - I know... But sometimes it's like that living in Aus.

What a fun game. Wingels and Demelo looked good coming back.
Liked Tierney on the 3rd line centering Marleau and Ward. That line had more opportunities than it has in the past. Nieto had been playing well, but Tierney is a playmaker.

I was actually impressed with Polak today. Thought he had a strong game - physical, used his stick to break up plays well.

1st PP unit - I really think Marleau causes play to break down a bit. 2nd PP unit - That's the Donskoi and Hertl show, with Ward reaping the benefits.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Late - I know... But sometimes it's like that living in Aus.

What a fun game. Wingels and Demelo looked good coming back.
Liked Tierney on the 3rd line centering Marleau and Ward. That line had more opportunities than it has in the past. Nieto had been playing well, but Tierney is a playmaker.

I was actually impressed with Polak today. Thought he had a strong game - physical, used his stick to break up plays well.

1st PP unit - I really think Marleau causes play to break down a bit. 2nd PP unit - That's the Donskoi and Hertl show, with Ward reaping the benefits.

Isn't it nice having a 2nd PP unit that actually looks like it knows which end of the rink they're supposed to be in? Such a change... :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
That first ward goal was incredible. The pass-the top corner. Just crazy.

Poised to have a 35+ guy and 5 20 goal guys. You can include couture because current pace/history. So 5 20 goal forwards and a 25 goal d man? My god. That's a lot of match up advantages for us.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That first ward goal was incredible. The pass-the top corner. Just crazy.

Poised to have a 35+ guy and 5 20 goal guys. You can include couture because current pace/history. So 5 20 goal forwards and a 25 goal d man? My god. That's a lot of match up advantages for us.

And the funny thing is, with thornton not on the ice the team is being destroyed. At the same kind of stats that edmonton has as a team.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
And the funny thing is, with thornton not on the ice the team is being destroyed. At the same kind of stats that edmonton has as a team.

Really? That bad? Can you share a little bit more on this? Everyone on here is celebrating the Sharks depth, but are they really that much of a one-line team?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Really? That bad? Can you share a little bit more on this? Everyone on here is celebrating the Sharks depth, but are they really that much of a one-line team?

It was mentioned in a tweet in one of the other threads I think. Something like 56% CF% with Thornton on the ice, 49.5% without Thornton on the ice. I think there's a possibility that it's a little deceptive considering how bad the team was overall in the first half. It helps that we have good lines forming throughout the line up right now though but it doesn't do enough to change the season numbers. Anyways, Thornton's line is just so far above the rest of the team and maybe most of the league that we could be considered a team that goes as Thornton goes but I wouldn't say it's a one-line team.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish

I'd love to know as well.

Posted in another thread:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-joe-thornton-deserves-some-mvp-consideration

Without Thornton they are attempting just 49.3 percent of the total shot attempts during 5-on-5 play, a sign that they are spending way more time defending, while they have been outscored by a 93-73 margin in those minutes without him (a shockingly low goals for percentage of only 43.9 percent).

Other details in article.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wow...then where are we getting this idea that we have such great depth?

Yeah reading that article did not help my fear that the team is relying way to much on the top line to provide the offense.

My hope is that it is one line that is bringing the team numbers down.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Wow...then where are we getting this idea that we have such great depth?

I'd be really curious to know how much of that disparity is from results earlier in the season. Missing Couture would have a big impact on those numbers, so would that long stretch of crappy play we had until we finally started turning things around in December/January.

I would be very interested to see a similar analysis done that looks solely since either the start of the calendar year or since the All Star break. I am pretty confident it would be significantly better than a look at the overall season. After all, much of that early season was when we DIDN'T have depth, due to the injuries. We also had addition by subtraction for our depth when we waived Brown. I wonder how much his play for the first half of the year dragged those numbers down as well, to be honest.

Also, we improved our depth at the TDL when we made the trades then. Polak at least seems to finally be settling in with the rest of the D-corps and playing a lot better with the team than he did when he first got here. Spaling is pretty limited, but he's generally been a positive contributor as well, it's seemed like. So again, that's depth that may not be properly reflected in the overall stats the article was looking at.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
eye test maybe, but there is no disputing the value of thornton right now, i mean check what happens when he doesn't score in a game. we lose lol

Possession dropping seems normal when you take out a forward getting 57% FF. Who also plays a big chunk of the game.

I'm not sure how he came up with the numbers. But he's comparing jumbo on the ice (with pavs/burns/hertl) and then not on the ice which includes (tierney/spaling/zubrus/goldobin/wingels) etc. which are below 50% FF and don't score a lot.

Seems like a poor way to average this stuff out when looking at depth. Couture on the ice has a 54% possession and 61% GF for instance. But then marleau has 50% and 44% respectively.

Big swings there. But the players are good and saying we'd be a lotto team without jumbo may be stretching it. Because we just were last year. Hertl does a ton of work on that line and burns is a monster.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
While I think that Jumbo does deserve a lot of MVP votes, I think that 49.5% stat from that article is a little disingenuous. Thornton has shared a ton of use time with Hertl and Burns, whom I would say are the second and third best possession players on the team. Plus, the number includes half a season without Logan and the stretch of time where we were consistently icing Mike Brown and Micheal Haley.

Besides, ~50% is league average. League-average teams make the playoffs. And I'm sure LA without Kopitar, Anaheim without Getzlaf, Chicago without Toews, Boston without Bergeron, Dallas without Benn, and Pittsburgh without Crosby are nothing more than average teams as well.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
What's the possession numbers for the Couture-Donskoi line? From the eye test, there's no way they're getting dominated. Like someone else mentioned, the more recent stats would be more relevant.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
for a lot of this season various lines were works in progress, including jt's line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad