GDT: 160204 Sharks @ Blues CSNCA 5pm

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So right now the sharks are 7 points back of the kings for 1st. 3 points up on the ducks for 2nd and 4 points up on the coyotes for 4th.

And they are sitting tied with colorado for the 1st wild card spot (with 4 games in hand)

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
So right now the sharks are 7 points back of the kings for 1st. 3 points up on the ducks for 2nd and 4 points up on the coyotes for 4th.

And they are sitting tied with colorado for the 1st wild card spot (with 4 games in hand)

Not a tie due to ROW advantage for the Avs, but the Avs have the top seeded wildcard, which means the Sharks beat the Preds outright, the low seeded wildcard at the moment. The Ducks are about ready to surpass them soon.

Dramatic turnaround for the Pacific division.

Jones was showing elite capability last night. SV% of .963 but did not get one of the stars of the game, but deserved it. He would have had a shut out but for a deflection from a difficult deflection. Sometimes Jones look like Crawford or Price, but sometimes he looks like Niemi.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Well that's a lot better than looking like Niemi all the time...

Very true, and hopefully he'll develop into a Price or Crawford. I still think there is a good chance that he will, but it's not going to be this season, imo.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Which is why we need a solid addition to the d, if one of our top 4 goes down with an injury we are screwed. I'd like to see the team add a quality defenseman by the deadline. Not because I particularly dislike DeMelo, he's improved a lot, but because we desperately need depth and we need a player that the coaches will feel comfortable playing in high risk situations who can also add offense.

He's a rookie that hasn't played a full NHL season. It's smart to keep his ice time down, especially while he's still so green and growing.

Not disagreeing an upgrade wouldn't be nice, but I don't attribute him not playing in the 3rd to the coaches lack of trust. Giving up late goals could also really hurt a young ones confidence. As long as we're doing this well with the strategy I'm fine with it.

Jul 10, 2010
Good road win. That kind of defensive play by the team can beat a team like Chicago but the problem that could wear on them as time goes by is if they keep losing puck battles and races where they're not possessing the puck enough against the better teams. Counter hockey is not a sustainable model for winning hockey but in the short term, it can work out.

As for whether Jones is worth the 1st, I still say no. He's playing very well but I just don't think the value is there for any goalie to be given a 1st round pick in a trade. Teams should develop goalies and there's a fairly good supply of goalies in the market on a consistent basis when it comes to starters. Whether it's free agency, draft, or even in Martin Jones' case, undrafted free agency. I value 1st round picks tremendously so that plays a part and I don't value goalies in the trade market that much at all simply because a lot of goalies can do the job for the team if you build around them properly. I do understand the argument for those believing he is worth a 1st due to the future contributions that Jones will likely bring but I just don't think it's ever worth it.

i get your point here, but assuming with Jones we pick around 20 or so, which is pretty realistic, i think that our chances of an NHL player are like 33% with an even lower chance of that player becoming a top 6er.

If we miss the playoffs, no, Jones was not worth the pick. If we make them though i strongly believe he was. Id much rather have a starting goalie then a bottom 6er who is realistically who wed get with that pick.

And the goalie market is cheap for average goalies. The best one available in FA last year? Niemi. And we all know how much we routinely got pissed off at him. The best goalies dont get traded often you have to take a chance on a young guy if you cant draft em. And for us, that young guy costed us a 1st. And id much rather have the guy the scouting team believes will be a future top 10 goalie than Niemi +1st

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Very true, and hopefully he'll develop into a Price or Crawford. I still think there is a good chance that he will, but it's not going to be this season, imo.

Jones has shown flashes of brilliance. I'm extremely happy with him. He's been a little inconsistent but that is to be expected from a first year starter. I'm convinced that he is the 8-10 year solution in goal.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The team does need another dman at the deadline. DeMelo is playing a solid 6, but if one of the top-4 get hurt, Dillon would likely move up and he'd be playing with someone like Tennyson.

If they acquire a guy and one of the top-5 get hurt,DeMelo could just be re-inserted into his current role.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not a tie due to ROW advantage for the Avs, but the Avs have the top seeded wildcard, which means the Sharks beat the Preds outright, the low seeded wildcard at the moment. The Ducks are about ready to surpass them soon.

Dramatic turnaround for the Pacific division.

Jones was showing elite capability last night. SV% of .963 but did not get one of the stars of the game, but deserved it. He would have had a shut out but for a deflection from a difficult deflection. Sometimes Jones look like Crawford or Price, but sometimes he looks like Niemi.

It's not a tie because the Sharks have the tiebreaker on points percentage due to playing less games and that's the first tiebreaker during the season.

i get your point here, but assuming with Jones we pick around 20 or so, which is pretty realistic, i think that our chances of an NHL player are like 33% with an even lower chance of that player becoming a top 6er.

If we miss the playoffs, no, Jones was not worth the pick. If we make them though i strongly believe he was. Id much rather have a starting goalie then a bottom 6er who is realistically who wed get with that pick.

And the goalie market is cheap for average goalies. The best one available in FA last year? Niemi. And we all know how much we routinely got pissed off at him. The best goalies dont get traded often you have to take a chance on a young guy if you cant draft em. And for us, that young guy costed us a 1st. And id much rather have the guy the scouting team believes will be a future top 10 goalie than Niemi +1st

And I'd still rather take those odds over using that asset on a goalie. They could've gone out and signed Michal Neuvirth to take roughly the same kind of risk without paying a 1st to do it. Niemi wasn't the only guy out there. But the more pressing concern is the fact the team felt the need to make this deal because they haven't developed a starter in many years. And Jones himself was an undrafted free agent. I don't really care much about having a top 10 goalie. I care about having a goalie that fits and can do the job to help the team win. If they happen to be a top 10 goalie, that's great but it's not a requirement.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pff we're gonna win the cup which makes it Jones for the 30th overall and that's like a 2nd round pick.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
How in the hell was Jones not one of the three stars last night?

He deserved first star

Bouwmeester? GTFOHWTT

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Not sure how many of you had to put up with their announcers... they're both bad but Pang is well... he shouldn't be allowed to announce.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
LOL, shouldda heard the other feed. our 1st two goals were lucky with joonas fanning and their goal wasn't lucky at all apparently :shakehead

I wouldn't call a deflection lucky. The sharks first 2 goals were scored on weak shots, but not really lucky.

Thorntons goal is the closest you could get to calling it lucky and that is only because the pass to thornton was so bad that he needed to receive the puck from the skate farthest from the stick to even get the shot off.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wouldn't call a deflection lucky. The sharks first 2 goals were scored on weak shots, but not really lucky.

Thorntons goal is the closest you could get to calling it lucky and that is only because the pass to thornton was so bad that he needed to receive the puck from the skate farthest from the stick to even get the shot off.

I thought they gave the deflection goal to Bouwmeester since it was apparently a puck off our guy.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I thought they gave the deflection goal to Bouwmeester since it was apparently a puck off our guy.

They apparently did. The only view i seen of the goal had to be the worst camera angle ever. It litterally cut off everything but the puck and the lower body of the 2 bodies in front of the net with the deflections (couldn't even see the gloves on the sticks lol)

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad