Blue Jays GDT: ('16 v2) Next Game:@TB| 1pm ET/10am PT | Happ vs Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
You clearly haven't actually played baseball. I've played it all my life. I've been taught to do exactly what Bautista did. If someone called me out on that, I'd lose my ****.

I've never played baseball, and I can agree it's a stupid rule. I can understand a rule like that for little league where you don't want kids to get hurt, but it's an incredibly dumb rule for a major league game. Ridiculous rule called right or not.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Forsythe's right foot was even planted before Bautista made contact for the throw ... I don't think that disrupted the throw that much.

So many questions marks with this call .. Interesting precedent set.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Forsythe's right foot was even planted before Bautista made contact for the throw ... I don't think that disrupted the throw like that.

It didn't. It just lets Forsythe off the hook for being a garbage second baseman.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Forsythe's right foot was even planted before Bautista made contact for the throw ... I don't think that disrupted the throw like that.

It didn't disrupt the throw at all, Forsythe is a terrible second baseman

The act itself is the stupid play here.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You clearly haven't actually played baseball. I've played it all my life. I've been taught to do exactly what Bautista did. If someone called me out on that, I'd lose my ****.

So, is your argument that baseball players are too stupid to change?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
And I've lasted three callers before vowing to not listen to JaysTalk the rest of the year, maybe one year I'll hit the elusive double digits

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Jose making a very good case

Unsurprisingly, and the reason why I think he didn't lose his **** in the dugout on the call, Bautista doesn't know the rule explicitly states he needs to make a legitimate effort to stay on the bag (and I think he did anyway).

The rest of his case (was he even out, would EE have been safe at first anyway?) was very well articulated.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Wonder if the Jays could/would protest this.

They can announce they've protest anytime between now and tomorrow at noon ET.

If it was a video review decision, I'm not sure if they can, however. I assume so, and if I'm Gibby, I do for sure if for no other reason than to get some clarification as to whether that actually is illegal or not.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I do hope they come out with an official ruling on it (and generally they do)

The one thing I would find concerning about the rule is if they also deem something potentially illegal about the fact he slid past the bag, which apparently isn't allowed per the rule yet is written completely incorrectly (as it refers to sliding through guys who pivot from behind the bag and not just keeping your momentum)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They should, just to get some clarification on the rule

MLB will just be all...

giphy.gif

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
What's the point?

1) You could possibly win, in which case the game will be replayed with 2 outs in the top of the 9th, the Jays leading 4-3, EE on second and Tulo (?) at the plate.

2) Clarification on the rule for future reference to know what they can and can't do.

3) Shed light on the flaws of the rule if it is confirmed to be an appropriate application of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad