Blue Jays GDT: ('16 v2) Next Game:@TB| 1pm ET/10am PT | Happ vs Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
i am lost.
I have no idea what happened.
i have no idea why we lost.

the guy threw the ball away.Edwin was safe. and we lose?

they changed the rule saying you can't do certain stuff on your slide into 2nd to interfere with the fielder. they ruled Bautista did. That makes EE automatically out, and thus ends the game.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean he pretty clearly interfered with him

If that was the other way around and they called him safe everyone would be pissed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
they changed the rule saying you can't do certain stuff on your slide into 2nd to interfere with the fielder. they ruled Bautista did. That makes EE automatically out, and thus ends the game.

oh. okay.
well. that stinks. but :dunno: i guess that's the breaks, right?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What frustrates me about how all sports are going is they are making them wussier. When I played baseball when I was younger we were told to slide hard into second to break up the DP. Even the Posey rule IMO is dumb but can understand it. This rule is beyond dumb.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I really don't care if it was ruled correctly. The fact it's a rule and decided the outcome of a professional sports game featuring grown ass men is a joke.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I mean he pretty clearly interfered with him

If that was the other way around and they called him safe everyone would be pissed.

The problem is the rule does not explicitly state he cannot interfere with him. It seems like it's only saying he cannot go out of his way to interfere with him. Which is a lot more of a grey area, but one I think you can argue quite successfully that Bautista didn't, at least based on the spirit of the rule.

Owen Wilson

Feb 21, 2003
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
His hand totally grabbed/knocked his foot.

If it wasn't done on purpose, Bautista, of all people, would've been livid. The fact he didn't tells me he knew exactly what he did and got caught.

Good call...it's not why they lost the game, too many missed opportunities.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I really don't care if it was ruled correctly. The fact it's a rule and decided the outcome of a professional sports game featuring grown ass men is a joke.

Ah yes, the infamous 'let the players decide the games by wilfully ignoring the rules' argument

Well at least the playoffs start next week so there will be enough of that.

The problem is the rule does not explicitly state he cannot interfere with him. It seems like it's only saying he cannot go out of his way to interfere with him. Which is a lot more of a grey area, but one I think you can argue quite successfully that Bautista didn't, at least based on the spirit of the rule.

If anything the part of the rule that says he can't alter his path makes that even more interference-y.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
In my opinion that's a stupid rule. How many times does that play happen vs how many times a player gets hurt on it? All it takes is for it to happen during a high profile game or takes a big star out and the league over reacts and makes a rule that takes a bit of the game out. It's like Zaun said, it's the major league. I wonder if this happens a few more times if the league will eat a little crow.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Ah yes, the infamous 'let the players decide the games by wilfully ignoring the rules' argument

Well at least the playoffs start next week so there will be enough of that.

You clearly haven't actually played baseball. I've played it all my life. I've been taught to do exactly what Bautista did. If someone called me out on that, I'd lose my ****.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That is both the correct call and a total misapplication of the intent of the rule

This post needs a bump .. Basically summarizes it up.

Would love to see the actual rule and how it's written .. Totally taken out of context of how it was intended.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
IMO, Gibby has to take 1 for the team/league and completely go off on this rule in his postgame interview tonight.

Accept any fine and/or suspension that you might get. This is completely ridiculous.

Can you imagine if a ********* call like this determined a playoff game?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
In my opinion that's a stupid rule. How many times does that play happen vs how many times a player gets hurt on it? All it takes is for it to happen during a high profile game or takes a big star out and the league over reacts and makes a rule that takes a bit of the game out. It's like Zaun said, it's the major league. I wonder if this happens a few more times if the league will eat a little crow.

If a few players get injured big deal. They guys make millions of dollars. If they don't make a few extra more due to some injury so what.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
exactly, and while he may have moved his arm while sliding, he didnt alter his path or trajectory, which was still dead on to the bag

This is how I see it too. The rule says a player cannot change his "path or trajectory." Bautista's path and trajectory remained relatively true... he just extended his hand to disrupt the throw. It's a bit of a loophole... although the MLB replay guys clearly didn't see it that way. If the goal was to eliminate all contact with the fielder, then the MLB should have just decreed it so, but that wasn't the intent of this rule. Not remotely.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You clearly haven't actually played baseball. I've played it all my life. I've been taught to do exactly what Bautista did. If someone called me out on that, I'd lose my ****.

Of course, this is a new rule that was just implemented this season. We'll likely see more of these.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
His hand totally grabbed/knocked his foot.

If it wasn't done on purpose, Bautista, of all people, would've been livid. The fact he didn't tells me he knew exactly what he did and got caught.

Good call...it's not why they lost the game, too many missed opportunities.

Of course he knows what he did. Every player tries to break up a double play. I'm assuming he didn't realize that the rule was meant to remove runners trying to injure middle infielders, not catching a hand on the leg

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

This is what I was taught to do in peewee, bantam, and midget and I don't remember anyone getting hurt of anyone complaining about the possibility of it.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Oh hey the 'play the game' argument

If it matters (it doesn't), I played for various Ontario teams as a second baseman during my teenage years, and it really doesn't matter what some insurance salesman told you. That is interference. It was never called because no one cared about it until six months ago. Things change.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
If anything the part of the rule that says he can't alter his path makes that even more interference-y.

But you can argue "alter his path" means the angle he slides, not moving extremities after he's started his slide. I'd definitely say at the very least the former is the intent of the rule.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Of course, this is a new rule that was just implemented this season. We'll likely see more of these.

It shouldn't be a rule and I can't see how anyone who's played or been around the game long enough can defend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad