GDT: #16 NJ (8-6-1) @ CHI (8-6-1) - 8:30PM Airwolf Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not that hard to be a bubble team, would take a really bad mid portion of the season to not be in the mix late.

And good goaltending was a near given.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I wasn't saying it wasn't good last year, just that without it right now, there would be holes on this team wide enough to drive a semi through. If Cory were to go down - this would turn real ugly, real fast.

Nah, we'd just call up Blackwood and he'd post a .947 :sarcasm:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I wasn't saying it wasn't good last year, just that without it right now, there would be holes on this team wide enough to drive a semi through. If Cory were to go down - this would turn real ugly, real fast.

Similar to the Rangers losing Lindqvist and playing Raanta, or Dallas losing Seguin/Benn, or the Caps losing Ovechkin, etc. Unless you're an elite team like Chicago, losing your best player is going to have an adverse effect on your team. That's like saying the Cowboys losing Romo or the Thunder losing Durant would make things turn ugly fast. Injuries to key players will destroy any team in any sport, with rare exceptions.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm more concerned about what happens when our top 6 scoring goes cold? I don't think the goaltending will regress, at least not if Cory stays healthy it won't.

He'll have his cold streaks and a couple rough patches, which happens to every goaltender there is. But I'm more worried about our production if guys start slumping. Our bottom 6 is not good enough to score goals at all.

Hopefully having Elias and putting Tlusty back in there will give us a more respectable bottom 6, or moving the top 6 guys down onto the 3rd line when Patty is back. However it happens to work out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm still shocked that New Jersey is top 5 in shots against this season. I think a little too much credit is going to Cory, or at least, not enough credit is going to the Devils defense.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still shocked that New Jersey is top 5 in shots against this season. I think a little too much credit is going to Cory, or at least, not enough credit is going to the Devils defense.

Because we're allowing a respectable amount of shots against, it gives us a chance to be competitive with a goalie like Cory.

Schneider had an unbelievable season last year, but it didn't mean a damn because we allowed over 30+ shots per game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because we're allowing a respectable amount of shots against, it gives us a chance to be competitive with a goalie like Cory.

Schneider had an unbelievable season last year, but it didn't mean a damn because we allowed over 30+ shots per game.

Don't disagree one bit, but that doesn't point to an improved defense more than improved goaltending?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Don't disagree one bit, but that doesn't point to an improved defense more than improved goaltending?

I agree, Corey is about on par with last season. The defense is more experienced and starting to come into their own.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Schneider is Schneider. He's been remarkably consistent over his career, and especially in his time here. The team's play has varied.

Since Joining NJ: 2.14 GAA, .924sv%, 28.0 SA/60

13-14: 1.97 GAA, .921sv%, 24.8 SA/60
14-15: 2.26 GAA, .925sv%, 30.3 SA/60
15-16: 2.13 GAA, .924sv%, 27.8 SA/60

Funny how his 15-16 statistics are identical to the the trailing three average.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think that the defense or team defense has improved rather than him. He hasn't improved, just stayed as good.

Though I would say he's gotten off to a better start than last season. Too many bad goals went in during October and November last year. There's only been a handful at most this season.

I think you have to credit Hiney Head and his staff a little bit with this too. The team played the worst defensive game of any Devils team in the last 25-30 years last season. A couple of those later 00s seasons were close, but still not quite as bad.

Team was lost under DeBoer and still showed no improvements in shot suppression after he was fired.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Similar to the Rangers losing Lindqvist and playing Raanta, or Dallas losing Seguin/Benn, or the Caps losing Ovechkin, etc. Unless you're an elite team like Chicago, losing your best player is going to have an adverse effect on your team. That's like saying the Cowboys losing Romo or the Thunder losing Durant would make things turn ugly fast. Injuries to key players will destroy any team in any sport, with rare exceptions.

It's not completely out of the ordinary to see a starter around the league get injured and their replacement go on a hot streak for a month or maybe multiple ones.

We all saw it with Clemmensen for Marty years back, Talbot for Lundqvist last year. Now we're seeing that Condom guy filling in nicely for Carey Price.

And it also leads to mainboard whackos coming out of the woodwork to claim that Talbot is as good as Lundqvist and some person was in there claiming the Montreal guy is actually as good of a goaltender as Price and it's a team system.

One good example of it not happening recently is when Mike Smith got injured at the end off 13-14, he was out the last 2 or 3 weeks. Thomas Greiss came in and had to play the last 2 or 3 weeks. The Coyotes were on the bubble and Greiss was garbage and killed the end of their season. Mike Smith was actually not bad that year either, and neither was Greiss when he was a backup. As a starter, Greiss effectively helped end their year on the outside of the playoffs. They may not have still made it anyway and it's not like Mike Smith is good. But he actually wasn't bad that year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So now the real question: Maybe a little too soon to answer but, Is this a rebuild or not? Should we be buyers or sellers at the deadline?

Maybe I should put this the team discussion thread.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
We should be opportunistic with acquisitions. We're certainly in no shape to be a traditional buyer that trades a 1st round pick for someone like Milan Lucic.

But if there's an underperforming forward with upside in his 20s and we can acquire for cheapish, we should be interested.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think just as there were a lot of people at fault for the struggles the past few years, there are also a lot of people who deserve credit for how well we've been doing so far this season. Overall, I'm pleased with how most of this team has played this season, and with the job that Shero and Hynes have done. It's a little hard to single out everyone who has done nicely so far for the Devils, and that's what I would like to see continue:D

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So now the real question: Maybe a little too soon to answer but, Is this a rebuild or not? Should we be buyers or sellers at the deadline?

I'd wait to the deadline to see where we're at.

We really don't have much to sell anyway though. Stempniak and Elias (depending on how he performs when he gets back and if he's lost any body parts or not).

Tlusty at this pace will be worth the Ryder/Havlat special, which means you might have to pay someone an asset to take him.:laugh:

Schlemko could be a deadline deal to ship off too. O'Neill, Farnham and other junk aren't worth anything. Neither is Gionta or Tootoo either. Provided Tootoo doesn't hit another one of his offensive hot streaks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think just as there were a lot of people at fault for the struggles the past few years, there are also a lot of people who deserve credit for how well we've been doing so far this season. Overall, I'm pleased with how most of this team has played this season, and with the job that Shero and Hynes have done. It's a little hard to single out everyone who has done nicely so far for the Devils, and that's what I would like to see continue:D

I wish I could say what I really think but it'll start a firestorm.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Might be to soon but if it's a rebuild then it is further along then people expected.

As for buying or selling. Opportunistic on both fronts. If someone offers us a no **** deal for someone like Stemp, you have to take it.

On the flip slide. If we can get and sign someone like Bodeker or trade for a Kilhorn. You make that deal.

Basically buy long term players. No rentals.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
If we are buyers then it needs to be somebody like Boedker who we can sign long term, or a younger guy that can be a part of our core for the future. No Marleau's (obviously).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you disagree/have another perspective you don't want to share here, you're welcome to PM me.

It's just I've beaten that horse to death and when I mention his name people get a little crazy.

My simplistic view. All this teams problems started with addition of Kovalchuk. I honestly believe that.

I personally believe everything that has happened started with that addition in 2010. I believe it was a source(one of, not the only) of financial problem that lead to horrible rosters, I believe it was a factor in players leaving and I believe it was the source of the garbage we had to replace the players that left.

Everything was begot from that one horrible decision.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's just I've beaten that horse to death and when I mention his name people get a little crazy.

My simplistic view. All this teams problems started with addition of Kovalchuk. I honestly believe that.

I personally believe everything that has happened started with that addition in 2010. I believe it was a source(one of, not the only) of financial problem that lead to horrible rosters, I believe it was a factor in players leaving and I believe it was the source of the garbage we had to replace the players that left.

Everything was begot from that one horrible decision.

I see. I'm not a Kovy fan, so I won't get mad at you for saying that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I like how he conveniently leaves out the fact that that guy led us to within 2 games of a Cup on a broken back

but nah it was all bad.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The additions of Kalinin and Palmieri make me happier with each game, and last night they both chipped in immensely. Whether or not they are legitimate "top 6" forwards around the league is somewhat questionable. But on this team they are, and Shero went out and got two top 6 forwards for this team in one offseason without giving up anything really. And the best part is that they are both young still and could be a big part of this team moving forward. They aren't elite forwards by any means but they are hard workers that get the job done and have meshed well with the system Hynes has put in place.

I don't really think we need an "elite" forward per say to round out the team. The defense is growing to be quite formidable and Cory is still Cory. We just need to be patient, let Shero make some timely acquisitions (Killorn or Boedker would be just the trick, but might cost a pretty penny - they'd be worth it though), and wait for some of our young forwards to make the leap. So far this season has given me a lot of hope for the future of the team, that we'll right this ship much sooner than a lot of people expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad