Injury Report: 16-17 "Robidas Island": All Inhabitants have left the Island

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Man we've been really lucky with injuries this year.

Great news.

OneTrueStick

Jan 16, 2017
Very good news. Will play if he feels up for it, but should probably rest for a bit just in case. Babcock says that the doctors will decide if he plays tomorrow or not.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It's probably a muscle strain or a bruised shoulder. It's common on Rugby players who land on their shoulders all the time

I landed on my shoulder playing soccer and it had a minor strain. It took me 3 weeks to fully recover. Then again my treatment was tiger balm.

Marner probably has a team of physician following him around. Missing few games is ok. He could use the rest as well and maybe someone else not named Hyman will get better opportunities

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
bad timing considering the importance of this game from a playoff contention standpoint..

but we're rebuilding anyways... be cautious with the kid and let him sit

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
We still don't know what the injury is exactly or the severity of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock plays him tomorrow, considering the importance of the game.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Let him rest, it's not worth the risk. Rather have him miss 3 games vs aggravate the injury and be out for even longer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If he bruised his shoulder, give him the weekend off and bring him back after that....We need to be careful but if he is feeling up to playing we do need him in the lineup. It has to be a balance.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
It would be tough to loose Marner for any period of time but it's not worth aggravating an injury. Might as well give him the weekend off and see what he feels like after. Time for guys like Soshnikov and Leivo to step up(Leivo has been playing pretty good so far). It seemed like he found chemistry with Kadri in the Columbus game. I'm hoping for the 3 out of 4 points this weekend but it's going to be tough whiteout Marner

adanac1234

Feb 8, 2017
If he bruised his shoulder, give him the weekend off and bring him back after that....We need to be careful but if he is feeling up to playing we do need him in the lineup. It has to be a balance.

Shoulder injuries can be severe Manitoba moose lost a player with shoulder injury in early nov and he wont be back for some time.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I like those lines, I thought he may go Brown to Nylander's spot, nylander to Marners but that wont have a grinder on each line. Got to have those grinderzzz

I'm curious to see how Nylander's game has evolved when he plays with Matthews.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My understanding is it's a pain management thing, probably won't play tomorrow although that could change after another days rest.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm curious to see how Nylander's game has evolved when he plays with Matthews.

TBH I like Nylander flying through the neutral zone making entry after entry, but I also like Matthews doing the same. Matthews can adapt so as long as they try to limit rushing the puck either to Matthews or Nylander its fine. When those 3 were a regular line for whatever reason FAR too many times Hyman was carrying the puck will and Matthews use their iq to go to a dangerous spot and hyman dumps it in the corner to go for a battle. As long as he isn't carrying it and just goes to the net the line looks real good

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
TBH I like Nylander flying through the neutral zone making entry after entry, but I also like Matthews doing the same. Matthews can adapt so as long as they try to limit rushing the puck either to Matthews or Nylander its fine. When those 3 were a regular line for whatever reason FAR too many times Hyman was carrying the puck will and Matthews use their iq to go to a dangerous spot and hyman dumps it in the corner to go for a battle. As long as he isn't carrying it and just goes to the net the line looks real good
I think that's by design of the other team. Make sure those 2 are covered and let hyman carry it. They know it will lead to a 50/50 battle for the puck whereas when willie/Matthews carry it is they set up and get sustained pressure.

What I have noticed though is the nylander and Matthews are dumping the puck a bit more often, Willie in particular.
At the start of the season they would try to force the puck in making high danger played at the opposing blueline which worked sometimes but when it didn't lead to odd man rushes. Willie seems to be reading situations better and forcing the play less. Still needs some more work there but definitely improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad