GDT: (15/04/13) Ottawa at Boston | Game Postponed, Sens home safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Yeah like bringing a backpack full of bombs to a hockey game is actually possible...

The game is only cancelled because it's the "politically correct" to do, believe me. Running this game with heightened security would EASILY be possible.

But i don't want to get sidetracked here, I have family in Boston, and you best believe my thoughts and prayers are with them tonight.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
But you also have to think that maybe the bombs are already in the arena. That would be the smart and sensible thing to do if you wanted to target it as it would be nearly impossible with all the guards. So as their singing O'Canada or the American anthem they could just make one phone call and boom no more bruins or senators.

BB624

Jan 1, 2009
Boston Ma-Roslindale
Yeah like bringing a backpack full of bombs to a hockey game is actually possible...

The game is only cancelled because it's the "politically correct" to do, believe me. Running this game with heightened security would EASILY be possible.

But i don't want to get sidetracked here, I have family in Boston, and you best believe my thoughts and prayers are with them tonight.

Again tell me where you get the security outside the stadium. Remember BPD and State police are extremely occupied.

And being a Boston resident who was near the scene I would be pissed off if they played and judging from Bruins players comments they would have been pissed too.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

Do you think the Boston players really want to be playing hockey after an incident like this happened in their city? This is more about being respectful to the families who were impacted by today's events than being "politically correct". Like I said earlier I don't even know how an Ottawa player could celebrate a goal against the Bruins in their home rink if they played on a night like tonight. Then add in the public and player's safety and you should be able to see that delaying the game was the right call.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
just an update:

Garrioch and Scanlan appear to have stayed back in boston to cover the event for QMI/SUN and Citizen/Postmedia.

Mendes is back in ottawa, i suspect he would've been on the team charter.

edit: confirmed, from methot:
Marc Methot ‏@MarcMethot3 14s
Back in my house. Feels good to be home to see my fishies. Missed you crazy ********. Feeding time then bed. Gnight

so the sens are back home and safe.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
just an update:

Garrioch and Scanlan appear to have stayed back in boston to cover the event for QMI/SUN and Citizen/Postmedia.

Mendes is back in ottawa, i suspect he would've been on the team charter.

Phillips' wife also tweeted that he is home safe with #sensareback, so it looks like everyone is home safe and sound.

Edit: Condra now tweeting that they are back as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good to hear the team was able to leave. Last I heard the airports were closed down. Good on Garrioch and Scanlan to stick around and get the story, too. Not exactly the place anyone would like to be when there's still a possibility of something happening.

Still surreal. With so many upgrades to security and vigilance after 9/11, for this to still occur....scary.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
apparently on the sharks broadcast they were suggesting the make up game will be on the 28th.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Game is at home tomorrow. The team flew from Boston back to Ottawa.

Sorry, DOH moment there.

For those who think the game should have gone tonight, it isn't just the arena, it's the flow of 20,000 to and from, and I believe the Garden is attached to a subway stop. Huge potential for nastiness. There was no option here.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Boston fan chiming in... Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts on our board and in this topic. We love our neighbors up north and we'd do the same thing if, God forbid, anything happened to you guys.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The NBA's Boston Celtics have cancelled their game tomorrow. Different circumstances (one day later, will not affect standings) but I thought it was interesting.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Honestly you do not play as respect to those families who lost people.

No one in their right minds will care the game was cancelled. Sometimes there are more important things than hockey.

You are not taking away from people by cancelling the game. People understand, and it is the right thing to do.

Also, with apparent reports of other bombs, why would you want thousands of innocent people corralled into a building?

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Boston fan chiming in... Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts on our board and in this topic. We love our neighbors up north and we'd do the same thing if, God forbid, anything happened to you guys.

Heart goes out to the Boston area and the devastating circumstances that occurred today and for the ppl involved

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
HOPE FOR BOSTON ‏@HopeForBoston now

R.I.P. to the 8 year-old girl who died in Boston's explosions, while running for the Sandy Hook kids. #prayforboston
---------------
Ahh nevermind..effing fake apparantly

Last edited:

Mephias

Oct 8, 2008
Burnaby, B.C.
Just heighten the level of security of the game. I just hate the thought of dumb ass people taking away things we enjoy through violence. To me it seems they win.

This train of thought just makes no sense to me. There are bigger things in life than us, the things we enjoy, and winning and losing. Two people (so far) DIED today. Whoever was behind the bombings already "won" the instant the first bomb went off.

After the bombs detonated, the NHL (and the police, etc.) simply had to make the most reasonable decision. You can't just make an irrational decision just to get "revenge" against the bombers by continuing to play the game. It's not like they give a damn anyways; the bombing wasn't about hockey.

The arena is not very far away from where the bombings took place. They didn't (and might still don't) know if there are any undetonated bombs left. They were trying to get people OUT of downtown Boston. Would it even make sense to try to get the players into the arena to play the game? There could've been a bomb under the ice rink for all we know.

Heighten the security? What exactly does that consist of? Hiring more security guards? Because they better know how to detect potential bombs and know how to defuse them. As others have said, the police had their hands full. Not likely they could find anybody on such short notice, let alone during circumstances such as these.

Letting the game continue as scheduled would either encourage people to go to downtown Boston to watch the game, which would be incredibly stupid given that there could still be undetonated bombs around, or would result in nobody showing up to the game at all (since most people don't want to walk into a bomb zone). Would it make financial sense to play a game with zero attendance? Would anybody even be in the mood to watch the game at home given the circumstances? Would the players play at anything close to 100%, or for that matter would they even agree to play?

Finally, the US government/Boston police may not have allowed the game to proceed even if the NHL wanted to given the obvious safety concerns.

In the end, cancelling the game was the only alternative.

John Holmes*

Of course you postpone the game. I can't believe anyone is arguing this.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Think of the end of the game, I could easily be stood opposite the rink "waiting for a friend" I walk towards the 20,000 fans leaving the rink and boom, there's a few more dead people.

Absolutely NO need for a game. Why would you risk it, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia