'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think we have a chance of competing this year period. I believe all the rookies are ready (except Jg who could be replaced by Byron) so I would rather play the kids and let them gain experience. I would like another veteran center ideally Talbot. I left it at 22 man roster as is, but you're right I don't expect that team to compete.

In 07-08 the Blackhawks had 3 rookies (Toews, Kane, Byf), 2 2nd year players (Wiz,Barker). I'm not saying we will play all these rookies all year but I think this is decent team with lots of room for prospects to learn on. I'm not saying I expect us to be Chicago at all but there have been other teams that play lots of rookies, I don't want to try and rebuild through a weak UFA or trading away prospects for worse more NHL ready players.
so your goal is to tank.

like I said, worst idea ever.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
so your goal is to tank.

like I said, worst idea ever.

I'm being realistic we didn't try to ice a very competitive team this year and finished 4th last, the last thing I want is to overpay Callahan, Cammy, etc and be tied to them long term. If you think we can compete this year I think your presecption of reality is distorted. Sure I may be willing to see us finish dead last next year but I believe our rookies will be better because of their opportunity. I'm trying to think big picture not just how can we scrape into 9th overall next year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm being realistic we didn't try to ice a very competitive team this year and finished 4th last, the last thing I want is to overpay Callahan, Cammy, etc and be tied to them long term. If you think we can compete this year I think your presecption of reality is distorted. Sure I may be willing to see us finish dead last next year but I believe our rookies will be better because of their opportunity. I'm trying to think big picture not just how can we scrape into 9th overall next year.

Throwing a guy like Granlund onto the 1st is still insanity even if that is your goal. That's how you completely ruin a players development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd say it's very far from realistic actually. It's borderline insanity.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.500m)
T.J. Galiardi ($2.000m) / Lance Bouma ($1.000m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)
David Wolf ($0.868m) / Bryce Van Brabant ($0.913m)
DEFENSEMEN
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Christopher Breen ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Thomas Greiss ($2.000m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,519,167; BONUSES: $2,801,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $18,580,833

I don't there is a huge need to pick up a FA forward. Resigned Galiardi as he is a good utility player that can play all positions and plays a bit of a truculent game. As far as the extra forwards, these are 4th liners that wont be hurt a whole lot by sitting but could also be sent down if a top line guy get injured and we can then call up a more appropriate player.

As far a D, I think trying to get a #3 guy is what we should shoot for, I think Fayne fits this, just not sure if we will be able to grab him. I also think it is a little early to give up on Breen at this time, extend a 1 year last chance contract. Think the other D prospects could use a little more time in the A.

As fora goalie, decided to go after Greiss as puts up good numbers and young enough to still push Ramo for the starter's spot. This also allows Ortio to be the starter in the AHL so he can continue to develop.

As far as the resigning values they can be altered a little to make sure we hit the cap floor. Also, if we could get Niskanen that would be great but I think he will be highly sought after.

If we are able to get someone like Vrbata, I think one of Sven or JG will be playing in the AHL and Hudler will move to the left side.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
With the exception of 1 or 2 these are all great. I'd be happy with any of these rosters and I could see them happening.

Great job :handclap:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014-15 FLAMES
FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Steve Downie ($3.650m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.500m)
Lance Bouma ($1.500m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Paul Byron ($1.200m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($5.250m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Mark Cundari ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Chad Johnson ($0.875m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.48% of upper limit)
Dennis Wideman ($1.050m—20.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,830,833; BONUSES: $2,306,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,269,167

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
Hudler – Backlund – UFA RW [*1]
Gaudreau – Monahan – Colburne
Glencross – Stajan – Byron
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan

D Jones , Van Brabant/Wolf

Giordano – Brodie
Russel – Wideman
Smid – Butler

Wotherspoon

Ramo
Macdonald

[*1] – Iginla/Vrbata/Stempniak/Setoguchi

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
I havent given up on sven either but I dont think he will be in the opening day lineup. Also Butler has a freakish amount of blocked shots (2nd highest in the league with 211).

He's a quiet leader in the dressing room, and should be retained by the team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wouldn't mind Richards on our team, and I could see it happening if Iggy left Boston to play for Sutter... They could resign Gaborik and get Iginla and ship Richards off for picks/prospects. Doubt Iggy leaves Boston though.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
With the exception of 1 or 2 these are all great. I'd be happy with any of these rosters and I could see them happening.

Great job :handclap:

Ya, these are all pretty good. I remember when we did this 2 years ago just about everyone had the Flames getting Suter and Parise.

I think and hope that the Flames just stay the course and don't do anything major this summer. I think that the Flames should get a forward a D and a goalie through trade/FA but just depth players, no major splashes.

Also, it's gonna be interesting to see what the Flames do with their RFA's.

One way deal for sure: Bouma, Colborne

On the fence: Byron, Galiardi

2 way deal: Billins, Ortio

On the fence: Hanowski

Do not qualify: Roy, Cundari, James, Eddy

Also, Breen is going to be UFA

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I wouldn't mind Richards on our team, and I could see it happening if Iggy left Boston to play for Sutter... They could resign Gaborik and get Iginla and ship Richards off for picks/prospects. Doubt Iggy leaves Boston though.

I would love to have a player like Mike Richards on the Flames. The problem is, why has his production dropped so much? Can the Flames give him linemates that he would have chemistry with?
Would the Kings part with him? (I know he is coming off a terrible season, but they say winning cures everything)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Ya, these are all pretty good. I remember when we did this 2 years ago just about everyone had the Flames getting Suter and Parise.

I think and hope that the Flames just stay the course and don't do anything major this summer. I think that the Flames should get a forward a D and a goalie through trade/FA but just depth players, no major splashes.

I think Breen deserves one more year. Byron has to be signed. I wouldn't mind having Billins walk. I thought let Hano walk until AF raised the point of it's his first pro year. Cundari had a good year and should be re-signed. I don't think we should cut Roy unless we draft another goalie. By James to you mean Martin?

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Really just continuing this discussion. Do the Flames really need to replace Cammy if he leaves? Their record last year without him suggests not.

Even if we do not go for a same caliber type player as Cammy who would take his spot. From what I heard from some flames fans Cammy does make the team a bit better.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I think Breen deserves one more year. Byron has to be signed. I wouldn't mind having Billins walk. I thought let Hano walk until AF raised the point of it's his first pro year. Cundari had a good year and should be re-signed. I don't think we should cut Roy unless we draft another goalie. By James to you mean Martin?

Ya, I'd get Breen back on a 2 way deal if possible.

I'd like to see Byron back but I'm on the fence as to whether he has shown enough for a 1 way deal.

I'd keep Billins just because he was an AHL All Star last year and the AFlames have to be competitive.

Not sure about Hanowski. Depends on how many bodies are coming in I guess.

Didn't Cundari have a disaster of a season? Lent to another team because he couldn't crack the top 6 in Abbotsford? 2 way deal if that. Maybe just AHL deal.

Roy is one of 3 Flames who are still playing, in the ECHL final. The problem is that he is an ECHL back up. If the Flames need to fill a goalie spot, I'd rather they just offered Carr another AHL deal.

And yeah, I meant James Martin. Buh Bye.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even if we do not go for a same caliber type player as Cammy who would take his spot. From what I heard from some flames fans Cammy does make the team a bit better.

He does for a while, he doesn't for a while. It goes in fits and starts. But for that matter, Mikael Backlund makes the Flames better. Paul Byron last year made the Flames better.

I guess my point is that we have at least 9 guys in the organization already who can step into a top-9 role (and did last year). Therefore I don't see a dire need.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Cammy only brings it on contract years. No wonder he wants big term. No thanks.

I wonder if he'd sign here again for say, 1 year, 6.5 mil if nobody else will give him term.. It'd be like the best of both worlds: he gets a salary for next year reflecting what he feels he's worth, and has to play like he did towards the end of the season if he wants to attract future interest.. I'd personally love to have him back, I think he's a heckuva talent.. maybe he'd change his tune a bit once the Flames start to see some success and eventually agree to less per if we gave him 5 years..

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Though the lineup likely wouldn't look like this next season (or even the one after that), could you imagine something along these lines in the near future if by some miracle Ekblad fell to us? Granted, it's probable that there will be personnel changes over the course of the next couple seasons (you'll notice Hudler isn't in there), but I think it's still a fair model of what's to come in terms of potential.. the future looks bright in Calgary, any way you slice it.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Cammalleri
Baertschi-Jankowski-Colborne
Glencross-Backlund-Poirier
Klimchuk-Reinhart-Granlund
Wolf-Bouwma-McGrattan

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Smid
Ekblad-Wideman
Cundari-Wotherspoon
Sieloff-Kanzig

Ramo
Ortio
Gillies

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

- Bouma and Colborne definitely need to be brought back.
- I'd sign Byron as well. Despite him being 5'7, his play showed he was one of our biggest players. The guy plays like he's 6'2.
- On the one hand, I know Galiardi is capable of more. On the other hand, there are prospects who are gonna compete for that spot. End of the day, I'd let him go.
- Agree with Billins/Ortio
- Hanowski, I'd let him go. I just don't see him ever making an impact with the Flames. If he wants a contract with the Heat (er... "Flames"), then sign him.
- I'd qualify Roy. He and Ortio can be the goalies for the Baby Flames. He's shown a lot of potential. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
- Cundari is a tough one. I really think he can be a lesser Giordano, but the chances of him making it with Calgary are slim. Couldn't hurt to sign him.
- As for Breen... damn, if only he had some better skating. Agreed though, let him go.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Though the lineup likely wouldn't look like this next season (or even the one after that), could you imagine something along these lines in the near future if by some miracle Ekblad fell to us? Granted, it's probable that there will be personnel changes over the course of the next couple seasons (you'll notice Hudler isn't in there), but I think it's still a fair model of what's to come in terms of potential.. the future looks bright in Calgary, any way you slice it.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Cammalleri
Baertschi-Jankowski-Colborne
Glencross-Backlund-Poirier
Klimchuk-Reinhart-Granlund
Wolf-Bouwma-McGrattan

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Smid
Ekblad-Wideman
Cundari-Wotherspoon
Sieloff-Kanzig

Ramo
Ortio
Gillies

These kinds of posts seem to happen every year. While it looks great now, it could easily look horrible in a season or two, depending on how they all develop.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Wolf - Monahan - Colborne
Reinhart - Stajan - Byron
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Stone

Ramo
Gustavsson

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Didn't even realise that Colborne was an RFA. What would you guys like to see him signed to? I think a two-year deal at 1.35mil is fine for a player with a decent rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad