Butler - Wideman

Extras: O' Brien

Ramo

Seems about right.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Glencross (2,550,000) - Bennett (925,000) - Vrbata (4,500,000)
Byron (1,200,000) - Monahan (925,000) - Hudler (4,000,000)
Klimchuk (925,000) - Backlund (1,500,000) - Colborne (600,000)
Bouma (577,000) - Stajan (3,125,000) - McGrattan (750,000)
Van Brabant (912,500)

Giordano (4,020,000) - Brodie (2,125,000)
Russell (2,600,000) - Wideman (5,250,000)
Smid (3,500,000) - Orpik (3,250,000)
O'Brien (2,000,000)

Ramo (2,750,000)
Hiller (4,250,000)
Ortio (1,200,000)

Total salary: 53,334,500 (right above the floor)

Also, I need a new avatar...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Baertschi - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Reinhart - McGrattan

Extras: Byron, Wolf.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Butler - Wideman

Ramo
Greiss​

I don't believe the Flames will add anyone significant, instead opting to let the kids fill those roles. More will be on this roster by seasons end. Greiss is my guess for backup although not who I want.

The one additional surprise could be one of: Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or Draisaitl.

I like that lineup a lot!

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Baertschi - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Reinhart - McGrattan

Extras: Byron, Wolf.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Butler - Wideman

Ramo
Greiss​

I don't believe the Flames will add anyone significant, instead opting to let the kids fill those roles. More will be on this roster by seasons end. Greiss is my guess for backup although not who I want.

The one additional surprise could be one of: Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or Draisaitl.

Just a curiosity, who would you move if one of the 3 draftable centers proves themselves NHL ready?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just a curiosity, who would you move if one of the 3 draftable centers proves themselves NHL ready?

Well, we need to stay above the cap so we can't really move Stajan or Backlund, this year. Monahan obviously won't be moved and it would not be worth moving Reinhart.

So what I would probably do is play said center on the wing and rotate whoever is struggling to the 4th line, as someone will often need to be scratched or injured.

So truthfully I think it would kind of work itself out due to injuries?

5by5

Apr 19, 2014
@5by5

Not to beat up on your first post but You have us getting four of the more sought after free agents and a trade for a defenseman that not only would Phoenix laugh and hang up on, 28 other teams in the league would offer better.

That being said, its a good roster, fits the criteria and is potentially possibile. I thought this is what this thread was all about. What more do I need for Yandle (pick #65?). WE NEED A 1-2 DEFENCEMAN. Are you saying that none of the UFA would want to sign here?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Gaudreau.............Monahan.............Hudler
Glencross..............Stajan...............Jones
Baertschi.............Backlund.............Bouma (The Killer B's)
Wolf......................Knight...............Mcgrattan
Byron...................??????

Giordano.......Brodie
Russel...........Smid
Wotherspoon...Wideman
O'Brien

Ramo
Emery

I would imagine Burke will add a forward and a D through FA. Role players though, not major signings. The 4th pick will likely go back to junior.

Possible trade deadline fodder, Glencross, Hudler, Smid, Wideman, Jones, Ramo

I see this years Flames being a lot like last years. A hard working, fun to watch team that unfortunately loses more than they win.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That being said, its a good roster, fits the criteria and is potentially possibile. I thought this is what this thread was all about. What more do I need for Yandle (pick #65?). WE NEED A 1-2 DEFENCEMAN. Are you saying that none of the UFA would want to sign here?

It is a better roster than we have now. No doubt.

But Stastny will not be signing for 6 per. Thats less than he's being paid now. The only way that happens is if he is re-signing with Colorado at a discount.

Matt Niskanen can get his 5.5 somewhere else. If the Flames are the ones that give him that I will be very upset. He's not worth that. Or Orpik for that matter at that price.

And yes, I am saying Calgary is not a very good UFA destination at the moment. Rebuilding teams rarely are unless they throw the bank at a player. Throw in the fact that the cap is going up and the free agent market is even worse than last year already, then yes, I'd be incredibly surprised to get more than 1 above average free agent.

First off, Phoenix has no reason to move Yandle. We'd have to be offering up some of our top notch offensive prospects to even get their interest. They won't move him for a bunch of middle of the line players. Even with the salary retention. As I mentioned almost every team in the league would beat that offer, even with the pick added on.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

We don't need a 1-2 defenceman, I'm more than happy with Brodie and Giordano, we have great short term D, just not long term.

Stastny won't sign here because he's been on rebuilding teams his whole life, doesn't want to come here unless he's offered a vast overpayment like 7-8 mil which is ridiculous and captaincy which we have Gio. Plus he's american so not sure if he comes to Canada

Niskanen will want more and would rather get a bigger defenceman

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
FORWARDS
Markus Granlund ($0.768m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Joe Colborne ($0.950m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Curtis Glencross ($2.550m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Lance Bouma ($1.250m) / Corban Knight ($0.900m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)
David Jones ($4.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Mark Fayne ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m)
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Ladislav Smid ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($2.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Chad Johnson ($2.000m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,356,667; BONUSES: $5,313,750
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $19,743,333

Veteran defense gives Wotherspoon, Seiloff etc the time to follow develop as well as taking some pressure off the young forwards. I'm not sold on Mes but he was just a place holder for any veteran defenseman.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm just going to put this here:

8. New Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving said he's met with UFA-to-be Mike Cammalleri, but it was more of a feeling-out, get-to-know-each-other conversation than a serious discussion about numbers. You never know until the offers get exchanged, but the two sides are going to give it a shot.

30 Thoughts - Elliotte Friedman

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
At this point I think Cammy is just being cordial. He has probably already made up his mind to go to FA.

Yeah, most likely.

But there's probably still a chance he'd re-sign if the Flames gave him the contract he wanted, not that they should since it wouldn't be a good one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Forget line numbers the top 3 lines will play roughly equal time we don't have enough talent to have a "top line".
No team that actually wants to win games will go with 4 rookies forwards (I'm including Sven in that) and 2 more sophomores as regulars in the lineup. When half your forwards have less than 100 games experience you are asking for a historically bad season and by that I literally mean that team would challenge for the worst team in the history of the NHL.

You have had alot of good and bad thoughts in the past, but this hands down is the single worst idea you have ever had. Ever.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No team that actually wants to win games will go with 4 rookies forwards (I'm including Sven in that) and 2 more sophomores as regulars in the lineup. When half your forwards have less than 100 games experience you are asking for a historically bad season and by that I literally mean that team would challenge for the worst team in the history of the NHL.

You have had alot of good and bad thoughts in the past, but this hands down is the single worst idea you have ever had. Ever.

I don't think we have a chance of competing this year period. I believe all the rookies are ready (except Jg who could be replaced by Byron) so I would rather play the kids and let them gain experience. I would like another veteran center ideally Talbot. I left it at 22 man roster as is, but you're right I don't expect that team to compete.

In 07-08 the Blackhawks had 3 rookies (Toews, Kane, Byf), 2 2nd year players (Wiz,Barker). I'm not saying we will play all these rookies all year but I think this is decent team with lots of room for prospects to learn on. I'm not saying I expect us to be Chicago at all but there have been other teams that play lots of rookies, I don't want to try and rebuild through a weak UFA or trading away prospects for worse more NHL ready players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad