Post-Game Talk: #14 - 11/08/16 | canucks @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I somewhat guessed it though based on two mediocre games before the Nuck game, and Winnipeg had too many youngsters and injuries. But Sedins had a good game, and Loui`s first goal of the season - who had thought, haha. :D

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't agree with AV on everything but he is right, their passing stunk.

I like Vesey/Nash, like Hayes/Miller

My opinion however is that this passing issue that came up, it's partially AVs fault.

KZB should be back, they are not the best defensively but they set the speed, creative tone.

But my overall complaint is the D

So far this year McD has only played ~3% of his time with Klein. Why can't this be tried again? They did it for ~28% of McDs time last year and I can not remember it being that bad. Not that Klein is ideal but 5v5 that is the best pair the Rangers are going to come up with given the lack of RDs.

So far Staal has played ~10% of his time with Clendening, I know Clendening has limitations, but so does Staal, they have opposite issues, so put them together. When has Staal looked his best? Certainly not with Holden or with Klein.

That leaves the 3rd pair, Skjei and Klein have shown a bit of chemistry but not all that much it should be a thing. Give the kid either leftover vet and let it roll.

Ideally I'd like Staal to be replaced by Skjei, but realistically, Staal has a clause, high cap hit, years left, the timing right now is just not there.

I'd go

McD-Klein
Staal-Clendening
Skjei-Holden/Girardi

Klein gives puck to McD
Staal to Clendening
whichever to Skjei

Try to force the on coming plays towards either top pair, towards Staal on the 2nd, and the 3rd it's just luck.

Does this possibly hurt Skjei's development? Maybe a little but it's not like that is not going to happen with Staal here anyway, he's always going to be stuck behind him, even last night Staal received more 5v5 ice time while having a much worse game... longer term how do they move or remove Staal?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think Skjei and Nash had the best games.

Skjei, Nash and Buchnevich. Those 3 were going at regular pace and looked very good. Vesey actually looked good too, not sure why he was benched.

Gotta get Fast out there when you're trailing!

Welcome back AV!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Terrible game against a terrible team but this day was too significant for me to care.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
AV was shortening the bench just to find players who could actually complete passing plays. Was Vesey doing that?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Terrible game against a terrible team but this day was too significant for me to care.

Yeah. Honestly not too surprised considering how trash we were against WPG and Boston. We pulled out lucky wins in both of those games. Buch also feels like the only forward who has been consistent these past few games. Sure Hayes and Miller were putting up points but I feel like they still weren't at their best with their play.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
let down game for sure. it happens.

its time to realign the forwards lines. drop a few laggards down. elevate the performers.

last night. bad team and a trap game where they play well and we played with 50% effort for long stretches. the concussion protocol is understandable but cost us.

2-2 game and then we throw a cold henrik out there to give up 2 weak goals. bad luck. what can you do?

i love the way brady skjei is playing. this kid looks like he's gonna be a legit horse. big, strong, smooth, fast and the ability to carry the mail. and to think there were those here saying he should be sent down so mcilrath can play. lol.

rick nash is making me eat a healthy portion of crow so far. he's energized, involved, strong on the puck and showing signs of regaining his scoring touch. he's a different player so far. keep it up.

buchnevich looks as advertised. so smart, so calm and so able to create. he's 50% passer and 50% shooter. he's the exact player i predicted he would be when he was drafted. so much talent.

am i crazy to think he's been our 2nd best forward after nash the last 5 games ?

#draftmoarlazyrussians

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
let down game for sure. it happens.

its time to realign the forwards lines. drop a few laggards down. elevate the performers.

last night. bad team and a trap game where they play well and we played with 50% effort for long stretches. the concussion protocol is understandable but cost us.

2-2 game and then we throw a cold henrik out there to give up 2 weak goals. bad luck. what can you do?

i love the way brady skjei is playing. this kid looks like he's gonna be a legit horse. big, strong, smooth, fast and the ability to carry the mail. and to think there were those here saying he should be sent down so mcilrath can play. lol.

rick nash is making me eat a healthy portion of crow so far. he's energized, involved, strong on the puck and showing signs of regaining his scoring touch. he's a different player so far. keep it up.

buchnevich looks as advertised. so smart, so calm and so able to create. he's 50% passer and 50% shooter. he's the exact player i predicted he would be when he was drafted. so much talent.

am i crazy to think he's been our 2nd best forward after nash the last 5 games ?

#draftmoarlazyrussians

All of this! Butcher been great for sure!

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Just looking at the goalie stats here, as I missed most of the game. I did see Raanta being pulled out of precaution to check for a concussion, and not due to his play.

And I see Hank let in 2 on 6 shots. Is this one of those "not his fault" moments, again, or can we start to think we may need to have Raanta as a #1 for a while?

Genuinely curious. Hopefully some of the more level-headed posters can respond as I'd prefer a lack of hyperbole. For either side. I just haven't seen much reason to be as confident in Hank as I once was. He's shown flashes of his old brilliant self, but seemingly much more of the opposite. While Raanta has been consistently at least good. It's early still, yes, but is it possible we may have an $8.5M backup sooner than we'd like to believe?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It's the way they lost. I'm not even close to "sky is falling" territory but this was a piss poor effort against a bad hockey team. Hopefully it was just due to the condensed schedule we've been playing recently. Don't think this is indicative of things to come, but I'm still traumatized from last season.

Couldn't have said it better.

The effort annoyed me, especially against a team that was in the midst of a 9-game losing streak that played a game only 24 hours ago.

The Rangers were the more rested and better team and still came out flat, which is on the coaching. You have to prepare your players for each game and do extra due diligence in situations like this where it's easy to play down to a team that's been nothing short of craptastic.

Terrible effort and there needs to be accountability for guys who aren't playing well (Zibanejad is the biggest culprit). Not gonna win them all, but when the effort level isn't there, it makes you wonder what the hell AV is doing to get these guys ready?

darko

Feb 16, 2009

#draftmoarlazyrussians

Yes. Grabner and Hayes.

Once Buch learns the language, bulks up a bit and just gets more comfortable he'll be a beast.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Line combinations are one of the most overrated things. Just pick a logical one and run with it. No need to make changes every time things don't go well. It's more likely to go harm than good just by confusing players and lack of familiarity.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Line combinations are one of the most overrated things. Just pick a logical one and run with it. No need to make changes every time things don't go well. It's more likely to go harm than good just by confusing players and lack of familiarity.

They are far from overrated. But i do agree on if a line has chemistry but isn't scoring you leave it alone. Lines go cold it happens. But don't break them up because when they get hot they become what seems unstoppable.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
McDonagh and Skjei both have 0 goals and 9 assists that's pretty funny. I'm starting to really munch the crow on Skjei recently.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
That loss last night was atrocious. Effort was so bad I was screaming at the tv for the first time this year. After last night, I advise the twitter lunatics who were claiming a Cup 13 games in to pump the brakes.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
McDonagh and Skjei both have 0 goals and 9 assists that's pretty funny. I'm starting to really munch the crow on Skjei recently.

And it's pretty cool to see we have 3 rookies in the top 10 in scoring. This kid Werenski has been unreal but so hope skjei finds a way to surpass him for the defensive rookie scoring lead

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
And it's pretty cool to see we have 3 rookies in the top 10 in scoring. This kid Werenski has been unreal but so hope skjei finds a way to surpass him for the defensive rookie scoring lead

doubt it, Zach is probably gonna get more ice and PP time and he is better offensively than Skjei

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
3 straight games where we were not good, getting increasingly worse

Snap out of it.

This west coast trip should be a good test of whether this was just a hot start, or this is a sustainable level of play.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Just looking at the goalie stats here, as I missed most of the game. I did see Raanta being pulled out of precaution to check for a concussion, and not due to his play.

And I see Hank let in 2 on 6 shots. Is this one of those "not his fault" moments, again, or can we start to think we may need to have Raanta as a #1 for a while?

Genuinely curious. Hopefully some of the more level-headed posters can respond as I'd prefer a lack of hyperbole. For either side. I just haven't seen much reason to be as confident in Hank as I once was. He's shown flashes of his old brilliant self, but seemingly much more of the opposite. While Raanta has been consistently at least good. It's early still, yes, but is it possible we may have an $8.5M backup sooner than we'd like to believe?

No, Hank is still the best goalie on the team and one of the best goalies in the league.

And you do realize he gave up those 2 goals when being forced to go in cold in the middle of the 3rd period unexpectedly when Raanta had to leave the game for concussion protocol, right?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No, Hank is still the best goalie on the team and one of the best goalies in the league.

And you do realize he gave up those 2 goals when being forced to go in cold in the middle of the 3rd period unexpectedly when Raanta had to leave the game for concussion protocol, right?

Especially that 1st goal... he comes in, faces a tough shot, thought he had it trapped in his shoulders and it drops to the ice and is in the back of the net instantly.

If he's warm does that happen? Doubtful. Maybe it does, but doubtful.

Honestly, if Steps doesn't miss the wide open net a few mins prior I think we win the game.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think Lundqvist being cold had anything to do with the turnovers, or the lack of solid net front coverage that led to the goals against him.

If I were a spotter I would have flagged like 6 Rangers this past game as they seemed to being having cognitive issues.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I think the last few games have been mainly about fatigue. If they start the west coast trip like they were playing previously I'll feel better. If they start by playing how they've been playing the last couple of games I'll get worried.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

I personally believe what happened with Hank there was just the fact that he wasn't ready to come in, he got no time to warm up. He essentially just got thrown into a bad situation. It's not that easy to do as a goaltender. And the 2nd goal against him really wasn't his fault, didn't they go cross-seam on the pass? Because you've gotta defend that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad