13-14 Prospects Thread Version XXI: Finn 2nd. in PPG OHL Defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Johnson with his first goal in 16 games on friday, been on one hell of a cold streak. Played good last game and today as well, after having been benched on wednesday. Nilsson though been playing excellent.

Highlights from the game

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Can anyone decipher which 4th round picks we have going into the draft: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/MapleLeafs.htm

We definitely have Calgary's 4th rounder (Joe Colborne trade), which should be around 95th overall.

We likely traded our own 4th rounder in the Dave Bolland trade.

It looks like it's 95th and 106th (Phoenix 4th rounder).

Which means we gave up Edmonton's conditional pick (Mike Brown trade) for Ryan O'Byrne.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
How has our swedish d-prospects looked this season (Nilsson and Granberg)? I'm really hoping they could turn out to be our top-4 defending d's for the future.

If I recall correctly, they both shoot right, which would be a welcomed addition to the Leafs' defence. Thank you in advance. :nod:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
How has our swedish d-prospects looked this season (Nilsson and Granberg)? I'm really hoping they could turn out to be our top-4 defending d's for the future.

If I recall correctly, they both shoot right, which would be a welcomed addition to the Leafs' defence. Thank you in advance. :nod:

Granberg has been very good in his rookie AHL season. He's been an excellent defensive defenceman.

Tom Nilsson has been probably the best defenceman on Modo. All feedback on Nilsson throughout the season have been very positive. He logged insane minutes for his club.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
Granberg has been very good in his rookie AHL season. He's been an excellent defensive defenceman.

Tom Nilsson has been probably the best defenceman on Modo. All feedback on Nilsson throughout the season have been very positive. He logged insane minutes for his club.

Is Tom Nilsson ready for a bottom pairing role with the Leafs next year or will he need a year in the A to adjust? Any thoughts/examples of how players of his type transition from SHL to NHL?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

He plays for Frölunda Indians, not MoDo. I have not been following that league that much this season but from what I have heard, read he is doing very well and as you said, logs a lot of ice time. Nilsson along with Johnson, also at Frolunda, are nominated to rookie of the year. So I think he is progressing just fine.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland

He plays for Frölunda Indians, not MoDo. I have not been following that league that much this season but from what I have heard, read he is doing very well and as you said, logs a lot of ice time. Nilsson along with Johnson, also at Frolunda, are nominated to rookie of the year. So I think he is progressing just fine.

Sounds very promising! Also that Johnson is nominated for the rookie of the year, beside Nilsson, is a really great thing.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

My mistake. I was just looking at William Nylander and had Modo on my mind.

He plays in Frolunda with Andreas Johnson.

My bad.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Gauthier 2nd star in both Rimouski wins over the weekend. Most telling to me is the Friday game, where he was the 2nd star with only one assist in a 5-3 game. He's probably playing some crazy high minutes out there. Could be a guy who steps up his game in the important games.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Is Tom Nilsson ready for a bottom pairing role with the Leafs next year or will he need a year in the A to adjust? Any thoughts/examples of how players of his type transition from SHL to NHL?

Unless he really surprises at camp (if he heads over for NA), he's probably best served by playing in the AHL for a year. Percy and Granberg likely have first crack at a roster spot next season.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Unless he really surprises at camp (if he heads over for NA), he's probably best served by playing in the AHL for a year. Percy and Granberg likely have first crack at a roster spot next season.

Agreed. Nilsson remains very much a project, but the NHL upside is still there. Which is a great thing to be able to say about any 4th rounder three years after they were drafted.

Between Percy and Granberg, who do you think has been better?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Agreed. Nilsson remains very much a project, but the NHL upside is still there. Which is a great thing to be able to say about any 4th rounder three years after they were drafted.

You weren't asking me, but I think Granberg has been steadier defensively (not saying Percy wasn't), while I like Stu's abilities in the transition game more. I would like to see at least one earn a 3rd pairing spot next year.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Nilsson is very poised and highly intelligent player. Normally, I'd say he goes straight to the AHL but the fact that he is right handed may force Carlyle to give him an extra long look.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
My mistake. I was just looking at William Nylander and had Modo on my mind.

He plays in Frolunda with Andreas Johnson.

My bad.

Also our other promising D Pick Loov plays for Modo. I still can't believe the central scouting report had him listed at 5'9" 160 lbs when he was actually 6'1" 187 lbs when we drafted him. He is now 6'3" 194 lbs by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad