13-14 Prospects Thread Version XXI: Finn 2nd. in PPG OHL Defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
It looks like Frederik Gauthier has turned it on in the playoffs.

He was the 2nd star in the first 3 games and tonight he was the 1st star.

59.1% on faceoffs in 5 games, averaging 26.4 faceoffs a game.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

won't come in handy when he makes the leafs....:sarcasm:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

won't come in handy when he makes the leafs....:sarcasm:

He's a bit of a late bloomer. Let's hope the early struggles will make him better from now on.

I haven't been able to watch Q playoffs so I have no idea how he's done on the ice but it's pretty clear, at least statistically, that he's done very well. I just love the way he's basically used for pretty much every important draw at any point.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

please become bergeron 2.0. we REALLY could use a player like that.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
please become bergeron 2.0. we REALLY could use a player like that.

Hell, a Hanzal clone would be great. I really think he's a guy who will continue to improve until one day we're just like "Whoa, where did this come from?"

He's got an outside shot at the roster as our 4C and a PK guy next year if we don't bring JMac back IMO. He's got a lot of work to do, but I believe it's a possibility.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hell, a Hanzal clone would be great. I really think he's a guy who will continue to improve until one day we're just like "Whoa, where did this come from?"

He's got an outside shot at the roster as our 4C and a PK guy next year if we don't bring JMac back IMO. He's got a lot of work to do, but I believe it's a possibility.

I'd rather give him his last year in the Q and let him play a more important role for his team. I think he could be an elite 3C which would be fantastic for us. He's looking like he's learning howto play big in big games which would be great for the 3C role.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I dont want him here next season. If we bring him up to the NHL before he's developed offensively at the CHL level, then he'll never get a chance to improve that side of his game. Hard to learn that stuff on the fly in the top league in the world.

Honestly, I think he should do another year in the CHL, then 1-3 years in the AHL before bringing him up, depending on his play. Focus on improving that offensive side of his game. Hopefully he can become a solid solid two-way 2nd/3rd line C, instead of a 3rd/4th liner.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I dont want him here next season. If we bring him up to the NHL before he's developed offensively at the CHL level, then he'll never get a chance to improve that side of his game. Hard to learn that stuff on the fly in the top league in the world.

Honestly, I think he should do another year in the CHL, then 1-3 years in the AHL before bringing him up, depending on his play. Focus on improving that offensive side of his game. Hopefully he can become a solid solid two-way 2nd/3rd line C, instead of a 3rd/4th liner.

This .. Should be given as much time as needed to develop his offensive game, plus work on his skating and learn to use his size .. Glad he's stepping it up in the playoffs (after a pretty strong finish to the season) .. Hopefully he's making strides to take a jump in his offensive numbers next season

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Exactly, we've done a fairly good job of being patient with our kids since Burke/Nonis took over. I expect Gauthier to get at the very least another year in the Q, and most likely a year or two in the AHL.

Honestly, I really like the Gauthier pick, he could be the perfect # 3 C to play behind Kadri as our # 2C.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This .. Should be given as much time as needed to develop his offensive game, plus work on his skating and learn to use his size .. Glad he's stepping it up in the playoffs (after a pretty strong finish to the season) .. Hopefully he's making strides to take a jump in his offensive numbers next season

He's been very strong in 2014

mikebel111*

Its nice to see fred getting recognition. Been playing well in the playoffs which is always nice

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The Detroit approach should be taken with Freddy.

He has as much potential in his skillset as anyone, given the short time he's been focused solely on hockey, his size, and his abilities.

mikebel111*

On a side note. London vs guelph on SN 1 tonight.

I will gladly do a gdt for finn on here for people who arent able to see the game.
I would do one for rupert, but its hard to track 2 players. So i will stick to matt

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Detroit approach should be taken with Freddy.

He has as much potential in his skillset as anyone, given the short time he's been focused solely on hockey, his size, and his abilities.

We should take the Detroit approach with almost all prospects, except the supremely talented ones (Rielly for example).

Stick to that patient approach (which Burke/Nonis have largely done, unlike Fletcher and JFJ), and it ends up so you don't really have to wait, because you'll have a constant influx of young talent anyways.

Over the next 1-2 years, we should see Holland, Granberg, Ryan, Percy, Ashton, and D'Amigo taking spots on the Leafs roster.

2-3 years from now Leivo, Finn, Brown, Biggs, etc can start taking on roles. And then 3-4 years from now Gauthier, Verhaeghe, etc.

Obviously not everyone will make the NHL. But if we slowly develop everyone, get them several years of AHL experience, and then bring them in when they're ~21-23 instead of 18-20, we should start getting more our of our farm system.

mikebel111*

haha just having fun. I wanted this guy for six months and was very happy when we drafted him.

I know u were:laugh:
I got an alert on my phone saying who we drafted. When it said him, i was like "really good pick"

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Shinkaruk was the sexy pick at the time, the guy who fell from some expectations .. When they announced Gauthier I was content though, very solid pickup .. Especially the reaction Bergevin gave from the Montreal table :laugh: he was pissed

mikebel111*

I was very meh, and still am. I would've been meh with anyone besides Mantha or Morrissey, though. Those were my guys.

Mantha i will agree with i guess

While i am a fan of josh, but did we really need a player like him?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Shinkaruk was the sexy pick at the time, the guy who fell from some expectations .. When they announced Gauthier I was content though, very solid pickup .. Especially the reaction Bergevin gave from the Montreal table :laugh: he was pissed

Where?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We should take the Detroit approach with almost all prospects, except the supremely talented ones (Rielly for example).

Stick to that patient approach (which Burke/Nonis have largely done, unlike Fletcher and JFJ), and it ends up so you don't really have to wait, because you'll have a constant influx of young talent anyways.

Over the next 1-2 years, we should see Holland, Granberg, Ryan, Percy, Ashton, and D'Amigo taking spots on the Leafs roster.

2-3 years from now Leivo, Finn, Brown, Biggs, etc can start taking on roles. And then 3-4 years from now Gauthier, Verhaeghe, etc.

Obviously not everyone will make the NHL. But if we slowly develop everyone, get them several years of AHL experience, and then bring them in when they're ~21-23 instead of 18-20, we should start getting more our of our farm system.

I still think Kenny Ryan can carve out a spot on the 4th line, as a PK/defensive winger. If we picked him in the late 3rd/early 4th, he would be viewed much differently.

He blocks shots, bangs in the corners, and plays hard every shift. He would play over Orr/McClaren right now, easily, in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille