13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVIII: Matt Finn Named OHL Dman of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah, has the same number of points too. Erne hasn't exactly been earth shattering. Herzog has some nice potential. Nice production for a late pick, although it's mildy concerning how low his assists are.

Personally, I'd prefer to see it this way than relying on assists to prop up the points. You know the goal scorer actually finished something, whereas assists can be like the one Franson got the other night on the Kessel goal!

Oh, I see Granberg and Biggs have both scored a goal now in the AHL.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty sure Johnson is like one point away from cracking the top 100 u20 scoring seasons in the SEL/SHL. Say he averages .5 ppg for the rest of the season, that would equate to 34 points in 55 games, T-13th in u20 scoring seasons with Henrik Sedin ('98-'99) and Patric Hornqvist ('06-'07). Or, in terms of point per game (.61), around 50-60th spot with some notables like Elias Lindholm ('12-'13), Lars Eller ('08-'09), Magnus Paajarvi ('09-'10).

Also, for a guy that knows jack **** about the NHL, Toninato is a hell of a talent.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Was it a bottom 5 team ? If so, those are terrible stats. If not, he got lucky....

And wow at seeing people having Granberg at 6th. He's been pretty bad this year, and MacWilliam has been having a good year.

i agree, but it's easy to fill a bottom six stay at home d.

i think i'd rather give macwilliam a shot than fraser, who is making a lot of mistakes right now, but granberg did show a lot of smarts and enough skill in the international game and SHL. most people were saying it would take him at least 1 season to adapt to the smaller ice surface, but I think it may be up to 2. I see his potential as a around a d4.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
What are the odds we offer Dennis Robertson a contract when his season is over? He's decently old for a college player.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
What are the odds we offer Dennis Robertson a contract when his season is over? He's decently old for a college player.

100%, he is definitely a dark-horse for making the NHL in the next 2-3 years though. He has a high hockey IQ, he is a leader (named Captain after his junior year), has great size (6'1" 215 lbs), not afraid of the rough stuff, and supposedly has an NHL shot and decent speed. He plays PP, PK and logs huge minutes 5 on 5. I am really not sure what is missing from his game, I think he will just need time to develop in the AHL so that the Leafs can see what they have. At the very least will become a good AHL player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
100%, he is definitely a dark-horse for making the NHL in the next 2-3 years though. He has a high hockey IQ, he is a leader (named Captain after his junior year), has great size (6'1" 215 lbs), not afraid of the rough stuff, and supposedly has an NHL shot and decent speed. He plays PP, PK and logs huge minutes 5 on 5. I am really not sure what is missing from his game, I think he will just need time to develop in the AHL so that the Leafs can see what they have. At the very least will become a good AHL player.

Marlies don't seem to have a great shortage of defensemen, but could easily see him getting an AHL contract. At least a PTO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Can never have too many quality defensemen in the system .. Be interesting to see him, Knodel, and Nilsson all try to crack the Marlies in the future

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1. Morgan Rielly (NHL)
2. Joshua Leivo (AHL)
3. Matt Finn (OHL)
4. Frederik Gauthier (QMJHL)
5. Dominic Toninato (NCAA)
6. Stuart Percy (AHL)
7. Carter Verhaeghe (OHL)
8. Andreas Johnson (SHL)
9. Tom Nilsson (SHL)
10. David Broll (AHL)
11. Petter Granberg (AHL)
12. Tyler Biggs (AHL)
13. Fabrice Herzog (QMJHL)
14. Andrew MacWilliam (AHL)
15. Brad Ross (AHL)
16. Tony Cameranesi (NCAA)
17. Jerry D'Amigo (AHL)
18. Jamie Devane (AHL)
19. Garret Sparks (AHL)
20. Connor Brown (OHL)

No Greg McKegg or Jesse Blacker.

Great list, only I would swap brown for cameranesi

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone in sel history out produced Johnson at his age?

Just looked quickly back on two guys who dominated the WJ's....

Naslund and Forsberg were both well over ppg in the SEL back in the day... at the same age. Keep in mind it was a different era back then in terms of goal scoring... but also those are two elite level players.

Damn we could really use a diamond in the rough... haven't had a true late round star since Kaberle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Can never have too many quality defensemen in the system .. Be interesting to see him, Knodel, and Nilsson all try to crack the Marlies in the future

I don't see Robertson getting signed by us. Perhaps an AHL contract is in order to see how he translates. We are up there in terms of the contract limit. Doesn't seem like a defenseman with much upside from what I've read and seen (which has been very limited).

Knodel has been on my radar in terms of darkhorse. His size is so intriguing. I've read really good things about his game in the past year. Anybody have a recent scouting report on his play though far? Seems like his stat line keeps progressing and he's now the captain of UNH, which is a positive sign.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Marlies don't seem to have a great shortage of defensemen, but could easily see him getting an AHL contract. At least a PTO.

Brennan, Yeo, Blacker & Hopefully Liles will all be gone next year. Holzer or MacWilliam should make the jump to the NHL. The Marlies usually carry around 8-9 D with 6-7 of them being prospects. We can assume Marshall will stay on as a vet and Granberg, Percy, & one of Holzer or MacWilliam will still be around. That leaves 4-5 spots open for next season with hopefully Finn, Knodel, Robertson, Loov, & Nilsson ready to make the jump to the AHL.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Brennan, Yeo, Blacker & Hopefully Liles will all be gone next year. Holzer or MacWilliam should make the jump to the NHL. The Marlies usually carry around 8-9 D with 6-7 of them being prospects. We can assume Marshall will stay on as a vet and Granberg, Percy, & one of Holzer or MacWilliam will still be around. That leaves 4-5 spots open for next season with hopefully Finn, Knodel, Robertson, Loov, & Nilsson ready to make the jump to the AHL.

I'm seeing an Aulie-Ashton type deal going down for this guy. Just don't sense he is ever going to make the Leafs over the guys we have coming up.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I'm seeing an Aulie-Ashton type deal going down for this guy. Just don't sense he is ever going to make the Leafs over the guys we have coming up.

Except he is an RFA at the end of this year which means unless that deal happens now, he won't have any value next year to a new team unless he makes it full time because he will no longer be waiver exempt.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Except he is an RFA at the end of this year which means unless that deal happens now, he won't have any value next year to a new team unless he makes it full time because he will no longer be waiver exempt.

Don't mean to be a dink, but are you aware and cognizant of the NHL's waiver rules? I believe he has one more full-year of eligibility beyond this one. As for his contract expiring, we'd just need to qualify him and we'd retain his rights.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A few have yes. Most recent example would be Elias Lindholm (5th overall 2013).

sorta.

Lindholm did outproduce him last year when they were 17, but Johnson didn't get a real chance last year:

Lindholm: 48gms, 11gls, 30pts
Johnson: 7gms, 0gls, 1pts

What Johnson is doing this year, though (19gms, 10gls, 16pts) is much better than what Lindhom did last year, and even if he had stayed over there Lindholm would have had to improve quite a bit to match what Johnson is doing right now.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
sorta.

Lindholm did outproduce him last year when they were 17, but Johnson didn't get a real chance last year:

Lindholm: 48gms, 11gls, 30pts
Johnson: 7gms, 0gls, 1pts

What Johnson is doing this year, though (19gms, 10gls, 16pts) is much better than what Lindhom did last year, and even if he had stayed over there Lindholm would have had to improve quite a bit to match what Johnson is doing right now.

There's a reason why Lindholm was selected 5th overall. He didn't get a real chance, he earned it. Johnson is still fairly behind him in terms of development.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There's a reason why Lindholm was selected 5th overall. He didn't get a real chance, he earned it. Johnson is still fairly behind him in terms of development.

Bigger reason was that one was listed at 6' 195 lbs. the other at 5'9" 150 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00