13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVIII: Matt Finn Named OHL Dman of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just got back from the Colts-Knights game.

Ryan Rupert impresses me more and more every time I see the kid play. His brother Matt got 5 and a game for a head hit and let the Colts score
2 goals to tie the game.

Only prospect of ours playing in the game

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Rielly's growing pains are similar to what Subban went through. He has to learn when to go and when to stay. Hopefully Rielly will develop as Subban did. Seems to have a good enough attitude about it so hopefully.

Are you for real? He's been solid positionally, often having to cover up for Franson's pinches and mistakes. If anything, the mechanics of how to break up a two-on-one, handling board play and better battling in front of the net would be his flaws. These kind of things can and should be remedied over time though increased strength and accumulated pro experience.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Are you for real? He's been solid positionally, often having to cover up for Franson's pinches and mistakes. If anything, the mechanics of how to break up a two-on-one, handling board play and better battling in front of the net would be his flaws. These kind of things can and should be remedied over time though increased strength and accumulated pro experience.
I'd have to agree with you. I think Rielly has less problem with going at the wrong times than his defensive partners blowing the play and forcing him to defend 2 on 1s. Now that is something he can work on. While he gets forced into those situations often he isn't the most skilled at breaking them up.

Ideally you'd like to put Rielly with someone more defensively responsible so he could more safely go and try to make things happen.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I saw Guelph last night. Not much to report though because it was a snoozer of a game. I watched Finn closely, waiting for something to happen, but it never did. I just left with 10 minutes to go to catch the end of the Leaf game.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I saw Guelph play last night too.

I thought they game was entertaining enough. Storm looked like the better team even short-handed.

Finn- while not going anything amazing, definitely was the best defenseman. Good quarter-back plays, had confidence, pretty good skater. Not overly physical, but you could see his leadership qualities.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd have to agree with you. I think Rielly has less problem with going at the wrong times than his defensive partners blowing the play and forcing him to defend 2 on 1s. Now that is something he can work on. While he gets forced into those situations often he isn't the most skilled at breaking them up.

Ideally you'd like to put Rielly with someone more defensively responsible so he could more safely go and try to make things happen.

Yeah, he's definitely cringe-worthy on 2-on-1's. I've been surprised with how good he's been down low and in the corners 1-on-1, but he's really bad in front of the net. Only glaring weaknesses I've noticed so far.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Let us face it...

Colbourne is a bust and was rated 3rd? With Reilly going up, we have maybe 3 prospects will make it? Finn, Percy plus maybe one more. Burke didn't draft well.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Colbourne is a bust and was rated 3rd? With Reilly going up, we have maybe 3 prospects will make it? Finn, Percy plus maybe one more. Burke didn't draft well.

It's not really Burke who was drafting, either way, I disagree with your assessment. There's plenty more than 3 prospects (which Burke drafted) who will make it to the NHL imo.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

I would rank Percy below Broll, Devane, Abbott, Leivo, D'amigo, Biggs & Gauthier on their shots of making it. Maybe not now but one day. We drafted fine, no stars outside of Rielly but good tough role players with size.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Even with Tyler Biggs being completely unremarkable, the 2011 draft is looking to be the Leafs' best draft in over a decade.

There was an "uh-oh" moment last spring when the New York Rangers signed Josh Nicholls to an NHL entry level deal. I thought "did the Leafs miss something in this guy?". 10 games into the ECHL this season: 1 goal and 1 assist. I guess nothing was missed.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The hot starts by kids like brown, verhaeghe, johnson have really turned our prospect rankings on their ear.

Also key is whether you consider 24-25yr olds like abbott, brennan, and holzer prospects, as they're all playing great too.

Rankings right now would look something like:

1.Rielly
2.Finn
3.Gauthier
4.Leivo
5.Percy
6.McKegg
7.Ashton
8.Verhaeghe
9.Johnson
10.Broll
11.Brown
12.Granberg
13.D'Amigo
14.Bibeau
15.Biggs

Though if you still consider them prospects, brennan and abbott should slide in there somewhere.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would rank Percy below Broll, Devane, Abbott, Leivo, D'amigo, Biggs & Gauthier on their shots of making it. Maybe not now but one day. We drafted fine, no stars outside of Rielly but good tough role players with size.

From what I saw of him in the pre season, I think he's our best prospect outside of Reilly. He reminded me a more rugged Kaberle.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see why Burke wanted Percy over Biggs in 2011, Percy is one of our top prospects. He is sort of like Bozak, isn't the sexy prospect or player, but he does the right things on and off the ice that fans don't recognize. Not sure how why he is lower on our prospects list than in reality. Has a good year in the AHL this season and he should be in the NHL very soon. Watching last night, we could sure use a smart defensive puck mover like Stuart on the big team.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The hot starts by kids like brown, verhaeghe, johnson have really turned our prospect rankings on their ear.

Also key is whether you consider 24-25yr olds like abbott, brennan, and holzer prospects, as they're all playing great too.

Rankings right now would look something like:

1.Rielly
2.Finn
3.Gauthier
4.Leivo
5.Percy
6.McKegg
7.Ashton
8.Verhaeghe
9.Johnson
10.Broll
11.Brown
12.Granberg
13.D'Amigo
14.Bibeau
15.Biggs

Though if you still consider them prospects, brennan and abbott should slide in there somewhere.

This is a good list, and I think we can all agree on the top 5, maybe with different orders. To me it seems like there's a bit of a gap between 5 and the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad