13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVIII: Matt Finn Named OHL Dman of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Even with Tyler Biggs being completely unremarkable, the 2011 draft is looking to be the Leafs' best draft in over a decade.

There was an "uh-oh" moment last spring when the New York Rangers signed Josh Nicholls to an NHL entry level deal. I thought "did the Leafs miss something in this guy?". 10 games into the ECHL this season: 1 goal and 1 assist. I guess nothing was missed.

It's looking pretty good, but the '06 draft features 4 NHL regulars and two others who have played in the NHL at one point in time. Hopefully it does end up beating that one out.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
I'm curious as to just how remarkable Andreas Johnson's performance so far in the SEL is for a kid his age. Someone recently posted historical stats from a site that compared his performance w/ names like Kent Nilsson, Forsberg etc....

Is this knack for scoring he is showing something that can easily translate to the NHL or just a product of good line mates etc...?

As i recall from the interview at prospects camp, his father was a player & also coaches Frolunda so goo bloodlines, but how why did the rest of the league pass on him until the 7th round?

Is this a real late-round gem or just a case of a small skilled player new to a league (& opponents) over-achieving in the early going.

Worth noting that Sebastian Collberg, a 2nd rounder of the Habs last year.has only 3 assists on the same team, is a year older, also a winger but is 2" taller than Andreas.

The numbers in that contaxt really are off the charts. If this were baseball we'd be wondering not if but what the kid was juicing himself with to cause such an eruption of power lol

Of course only time will tell but this is the beginning of what has the makings of a pretty intriguing journey.

Still, as much as I remain intrigued, it is intrigue rooted in suspicion as to how he may have slipped under the radar. ;)

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm curious as to just how remarkable Andreas Johnson's performance so far in the SEL is for a kid his age. Someone recently posted historical stats from a site that compared his performance w/ names like Kent Nilsson, Forsberg etc....

Is this knack for scoring he is showing something that can easily translate to the NHL or just a product of good line mates etc...?

As i recall from the interview at prospects camp, his father was a player & also coaches Frolunda so goo bloodlines, but how why did the rest of the league pass on him until the 7th round?

Is this a real late-round gem or just a case of a small skilled player new to a league (& opponents) over-achieving in the early going.

Worth noting that Sebastian Collberg, a 2nd rounder of the Habs last year.has only 3 assists on the same team, is a year older, also a winger but is 2" taller than Andreas.

The numbers in that contaxt really are off the charts. If this were baseball we'd be wondering not if but what the kid was juicing himself with to cause such an eruption of power lol

Of course only time will tell but this is the beginning of what has the makings of a pretty intriguing journey.

Still, as much as I remain intrigued, it is intrigue rooted in suspicion as to how he may have slipped under the radar. ;)

It's important to remember he's only 18 games in. He could just as easily spend the rest of the season at a 0.5PPG pace. I'm staying away from words like "gem" or "steal" until next year at the earliest. Right now, he's just a pleasant surprise :)

The hot starts by kids like brown, verhaeghe, johnson have really turned our prospect rankings on their ear.

Also key is whether you consider 24-25yr olds like abbott, brennan, and holzer prospects, as they're all playing great too.

Rankings right now would look something like:

1.Rielly
2.Finn
3.Gauthier
4.Leivo
5.Percy
6.McKegg
7.Ashton
8.Verhaeghe
9.Johnson
10.Broll
11.Brown
12.Granberg
13.D'Amigo
14.Bibeau
15.Biggs

Though if you still consider them prospects, brennan and abbott should slide in there somewhere.

Nice list Zeke :)

Here's my attempt:

1. Morgan Rielly (NHL)
2. Matt Finn (OHL)
3. Frederik Gauthier (LHJMQ)
4. Joshua Leivo (AHL)
5. Stuart Percy (AHL)
6. Petter Granberg (AHL)
7. Carter Verhaeghe (OHL)
8. Greg McKegg (AHL)
9. Connor Brown (OHL)
10. Andreas Johnson (SHL)
11. Jerry D'Amigo (AHL)
12. Garret Sparks (AHL)
13. Tyler Biggs (AHL)
14. Dominic Toninato (NCAA)
15. Fabrice Herzog (LHJMQ)

Included leagues for perspective. Interesting to see how much of our youth is in the minor pros. I'm also a big fan of our two-way centers -- Gauthier, Toninato, and Verhaeghe are excellent on both sides of the puck, and that's something we've missed in our prospect pool for a loooong time!

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Mattias Janmark-Nylen a little older, but leading his team in scoring during his draft year. 3rd. round pick by Detroit this year.

Leafs maybe got the better player out of the two?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Oh I'll have a go as well.

1. Morgan Rielly(More of and NHLer than a prospect)
2. Matt Finn
3. Josh Leivo
4. Stuart Percy
5. Frederik Gauthier
6. Carter Verhaeghe
7. Andreas Johnson
8. Petter Granberg
9. Greg Mckegg
10. Dominic Toninato
11. Tom Nilsson
12. Dave Broll
13. Viktor Loov
14. Dennis Robertson
15. Fabrice Herzog

HM: Macwilliam, Bibeau, Carrick

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
will make the nhl:

1. Morgan Rielly
2. Matt Finn
3. stuart percy
4. josh leivo
5. Frederik Gauthier
6. Petter Granberg

top 6 or bust (long shots):

7. Andreas Johnson
8. Carter Verhaeghe
9. Connor Brown
10. Fabrice Herzog
11. Dominic Toninato

Long term, but role players.

12. Tom Nilsson
13. Dave Broll
14. Viktor Loov
15. Toni Camanesari
16. Andrew Macwilliam
17. ant bibeau

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Fredbust Bustier had 2 assists today and was 13/23 (57%) in the faceoff circle.

Was it a bottom 5 team ? If so, those are terrible stats. If not, he got lucky....

And wow at seeing people having Granberg at 6th. He's been pretty bad this year, and MacWilliam has been having a good year.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Was it a bottom 5 team ? If so, those are terrible stats. If not, he got lucky....

And wow at seeing people having Granberg at 6th. He's been pretty bad this year, and MacWilliam has been having a good year.

It was against the 16th ranked team out of 18. So ya those two assists are pretty meaningless.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Wow has it really become that much of a consensus that Biggs is a bust?

Tbh I never really expected much from him, he's just got zero offensive creativity and plays with no urgency, AND doesn't effectively use his frame lol, but I'd still out him over guys like Kegger and Connor Brown just because I think those guys are serious long shots to ever make the bugs.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah surprised to see people have Biggs drop off their list completely, I'd give him the full season before having prospects like Bibeau, and Carrick over him to name a few. That said its not looking too promising for him right now.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Has more goals than a much higher pick teammate Adam Erne. Solid pick, liked what I saw of him in camp. When he fills out, he is going to be a solid NHL player.

Yeah, has the same number of points too. Erne hasn't exactly been earth shattering. Herzog has some nice potential. Nice production for a late pick, although it's mildy concerning how low his assists are.

I can see why Burke wanted Percy over Biggs in 2011, Percy is one of our top prospects. He is sort of like Bozak, isn't the sexy prospect or player, but he does the right things on and off the ice that fans don't recognize. Not sure how why he is lower on our prospects list than in reality. Has a good year in the AHL this season and he should be in the NHL very soon. Watching last night, we could sure use a smart defensive puck mover like Stuart on the big team.

Other than the comparison to Bozak (I don't really agree with the whole "does evrything right" idea for him), I agree with everything you've said. Percy is hella solid, and just one of those guys that is quietly very good on the ice. He definitely shouldn't be so low on our prospect ranking. He's going to make a good top 4 dman for a long time in this league. Definiteyl not the sexiest top 4 dman, but a good one nonetheless.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, has the same number of points too. Erne hasn't exactly been earth shattering. Herzog has some nice potential. Nice production for a late pick, although it's mildy concerning how low his assists are.

Other than the comparison to Bozak (I don't really agree with the whole "does evrything right" idea for him), I agree with everything you've said. Percy is hella solid, and just one of those guys that is quietly very good on the ice. He definitely shouldn't be so low on our prospect ranking. He's going to make a good top 4 dman for a long time in this league. Definiteyl not the sexiest top 4 dman, but a good one nonetheless.

The 2011 draft always looked promising to me, Biggs is throwing some cold water on this. But without knowing how he is being used hard to know if its him or The Marlies. Ie. Ross is also struggling. Leafs intimated they now have bottom 6 plans for him. I still think he can be an effective 3rd line winger with his checking ability, but have to say I was hoping he would be a top 9 player that can be spotted on the top 6. He has the looks of a player that might be dangled in trades, not sure I like that with what happened to Colborne.

Leivo will probably be the best pick from this crop, Percy a very close second. Think they are high in our plans. Broll has been a nice surprise and Nilsson is like a high interest bond. Could be a very good one. Being a Swedish kid, we won't see him for a few years yet.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It's important to remember he's only 18 games in. He could just as easily spend the rest of the season at a 0.5PPG pace. I'm staying away from words like "gem" or "steal" until next year at the earliest. Right now, he's just a pleasant surprise :)

Even him scoring at 0.5 PPG would be pretty succesful in his first season in the SHL. That's pretty impressive in it's own right. What he's doing now is definitely a pleasant surprise though. And you're right definitely early, but it's always nice to see such a late rounder do well.

Nice list Zeke :)

Here's my attempt:

1. Morgan Rielly (NHL)
2. Matt Finn (OHL)
3. Frederik Gauthier (LHJMQ)
4. Joshua Leivo (AHL)
5. Stuart Percy (AHL)

6. Petter Granberg (AHL)
8. Greg McKegg (AHL)
9. Connor Brown (OHL)
10. Andreas Johnson (SHL)
11. Jerry D'Amigo (AHL)
12. Garret Sparks (AHL)
13. Tyler Biggs (AHL)
14. Dominic Toninato (NCAA)
15. Fabrice Herzog (LHJMQ)

Included leagues for perspective. Interesting to see how much of our youth is in the minor pros. I'm also a big fan of our two-way centers -- Gauthier, Toninato, and Verhaeghe are excellent on both sides of the puck, and that's something we've missed in our prospect pool for a loooong time!

Nice list, I don't really disgaree much so I'll just let yours stand.

Outside of Rielly (the obvious one) I think my favorite prospects in the system are Verghaeghe, Toninato, Josh Leivo, Matt Finn, Tom Nilsson ad Spencer Abbott.

I love Verghaeghe. Very similar to my love for Leivo. 3rd rounders with some size, and smarts, and just impress.

Finn is a stud and future captain material, does everything well but nothing exceptional (which isn't bad).

I love my NCAA guys, and I love the pivots with decent size from the US route. Toninato fits both and I think he'll surprise with some nice development time. As an aside, I'd love to grab one of the big pivots or dman from the USHL this year.

And I adore Nilsson. Hard nosed, mean and just the quintessential shutdown defender. Almost Kronwallish in his hitting. He's my pick over Loov, over MacWilliam, over Grannberg to make this team in the next two years. He'll make a ton of fans fall in love with him soon enough...and other teams hate him.

I have a soft spot for Abbott. He's damn talented, and for whatever reason I have my like of skilled small players. Maybe it's because I respect the ones that try their damndest and say screw the odds or the bigger stronger players (as a tall guy, they were always the shiftiest to play against). But I think Abbott could really surprise if he was given a shot in the NHL.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wow has it really become that much of a consensus that Biggs is a bust?

Tbh I never really expected much from him, he's just got zero offensive creativity and plays with no urgency, AND doesn't effectively use his frame lol, but I'd still out him over guys like Kegger and Connor Brown just because I think those guys are serious long shots to ever make the bugs.

Biggs has a more translatable game, but his game right now isn't good enough to translate. I wouldn't be surprised if his name isn't actually Igor Biggsokov, because the guy is an enigma. Built like a wrecking ball, and isn't overly physical. Heavy shot, can't finish.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
obviously most will disagree with this list, but heres my top 10 prospect chart right now.

Rielly
Leivo
Percy
Finn (below percy because I havent seen him as much)
Verhaeghe
Gauthier
MacWilliam
Broll
Loov (although hes gonna need a LOT of seasoning)
Brown/Mckegg

I havent seen johnson and Herzog yet though so they might be part of this group. Nilsson and granberg looked like they needed time to adapt styles so i havent really ranked them.

The group was ranked based on useful an nhl player I think they will become. Also keep in mind my rankings are pretty much based on when I saw them all together in rookie camp/leafs camp- so an exceptionally small sample size.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Rielly
Percy
Leivo
Finn

After that theres a drop off for me. I don't expect anyone past this point to be an important NHLer for us.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
1. Morgan Rielly (NHL)
2. Joshua Leivo (AHL)
3. Matt Finn (OHL)
4. Frederik Gauthier (QMJHL)
5. Dominic Toninato (NCAA)
6. Stuart Percy (AHL)
8. Andreas Johnson (SHL)
9. Tom Nilsson (SHL)
10. David Broll (AHL)
11. Petter Granberg (AHL)
12. Tyler Biggs (AHL)
13. Fabrice Herzog (QMJHL)
14. Andrew MacWilliam (AHL)
15. Brad Ross (AHL)
16. Tony Cameranesi (NCAA)
17. Jerry D'Amigo (AHL)
18. Jamie Devane (AHL)
19. Garret Sparks (AHL)
20. Connor Brown (OHL)

No Greg McKegg or Jesse Blacker.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
CHL

W C.Brown (19): 19gms, 15gls, 39pts (82gms, 65gls, 168pts)
C C.Verhaeghe (18): 19gms, 14gls, 32pts (82gms, 60gls, 138pts)
C F.Gauthier (18): 19gms, 5gls, 19pts (82gms, 22gls, 82pts)
(W M.Rupert (19): 18gms, 8gls, 16pts (82gms, 36gls, 73pts))
W F.Herzog (19): 23gms, 14gls, 20pts (82gms, 50gls, 71pts)
C R.Rupert (19): 19gms, 5gls, 15pts (82gms, 22gls, 65pts)

D M.Finn (19): 18gms, 5gls, 18pts (82gms, 23gls, 82pts)

G A.Bibeau (18): 14gms, 6-4-3, 3.42gaa, 0so, .912sv%

SEL

W A.Johnson (18): 19gms, 10gls, 16pts (82gms, 43gls, 69pts)

D V.Loov (21): 19gms, 1gls, 5pts (82gms, 4gls, 22pts)
D T.Nilsson (20): 19gms, 1gls, 2pts (82gms, 4gls, 9pts)

NCAA

W D.Toninato (19): 8gms, 2gls, 4pts (82gms, 21gls, 41pts)
W T.Cameranesi (20): 8gms, 1gls, 3pts (82gms, 10gls, 31pts)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Rielly
Percy
Leivo
Finn

After that theres a drop off for me. I don't expect anyone past this point to be an important NHLer for us.

Statistically you're more right than wrong, but likely one or two guys below those 4 will surprise and make a name for themselves. It wasn't too long ago that Leivo was coming off a 13 goal, 30 point OHL season and was picked as a third rounder with little expectations for him.

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
I really like the looks of #44 Travis Dermott for Erie. He's only 16, but he looks solid in the game today.

Saw Dermott play on the weekend and have to agree.He is '14 nhl draft eligible and looks like the part. He very seldom makes mistakes and plays with the poise of a 2nd or 3rd year player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad