TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Gotta say Toth was on the ball this morning with regards to his take on Maurice's post-game comments. You could tell that Westwood's initial hot take was based on never actually hearing Maurice's comments. Then once Westwood heard the actually comments, his opinion really softened.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
i've listened to sports talk shows from other markets too. Doesn't sound much different. What "special expertise" do most sports radio talking heads have? And i don't get why anyone would think the show is "scripted." Doesn't sound to me like much of what they say has been planned in advance. Frankly, I find it more annoying listening to guys who are supposed to know their stuff - Mckenzie, Dreger, etc... make predictions and blow smoke because they are so often wrong anyway. The truth is, nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in a hockey game or what changes are going to work or fail. It's about 99% a crap shoot! lol...
The Big Show is at best like listening to your buddies talk about last nights games in a bar/coffee shop. Hot takes which are mostly uneducated.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Would what happened in Cleveland today ever ever ever happen in Winnipeg? I say never.

Baker walked out of press conference after arguing with reporter

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Would what happened in Cleveland today ever ever ever happen in Winnipeg? I say never.

Baker walked out of press conference after arguing with reporter
Blake Wheeler swore at a reporter last year in the playoffs. I'd say that's worse than what Baker did.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Blake Wheeler swore at a reporter last year in the playoffs. I'd say that's worse than what Baker did.

I guess my point is other media markets are much more harsh on players management and team. A part of me thinks maybe because we only have the Jets in the "big" leagues all reporters are scared

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I guess my point is other media markets are much more harsh on players management and team. A part of me thinks maybe because we only have the Jets in the "big" leagues all reporters are scared
Reporters actually get lectured from True north if they are too harsh

Reactions: DannyGallivan

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I now listen to a few portions of the drive home on 1290. I enjoy Dreger, Ates and Ferraro’s takes on the Jets. Ates is very good at his job.

I wouldn’t dare tune in on the way to work or at lunch time.

Reactions: SLAYER

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I now listen to a few portions of the drive home on 1290. I enjoy Dreger, Ates and Ferraro’s takes on the Jets. Ates is very good at his job.

I listen from 6:00am to 6:30am and from 3:00pm to 3:40pm most days on my way to and from work.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ates is excellent and worth the price for the Athletic. I also agree Ferraro is top notch, I’ve got all day for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Every once in awhile I make the mistake of turning 1290 on in the morning and it is truly un-listenable crap. A horrible version of sports radio.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Toth + Westwood = diarrhea
At least then the squirting sounds would drown them out. I'm a big sports radio fan and would have 1290 on whenever I could if it wasn't such a bad version of it. When done right it is conversational, with layered adds to a discussion with genuine humour thrown in. Just too bad those who do it well talk about the Jets less than a small fraction of 1% of the time.

Reactions: blues10

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
well he and B Rew both have colds. But with Westwood, it seems as though every bug manifests as a dry cough that lingers for a long time

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Last week Westwood said he takes ColdFX. Not a ringing endorsement for the product when the guy can't stop coughing.
ColdFX is likely bs. You need to take it for months to expect any beneficial effects...according to a self-funded study (which had some other methodological issues). Save your money.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
ColdFX is likely bs. You need to take it for months to expect any beneficial effects...according to a self-funded study (which had some other methodological issues). Save your money.

ColdFX is a scam, it's basically a ginseng supplement. Up there with the current celery juice curing everything craze.

Not saying there is no health benefit to using natural substances, but the only thing that will kill a virus is a vaccine. There are like a hundred cold viruses so it's almost impossible to make an effective vaccine.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I noticed on the post game show with Kevin O -- they have allowed very few outside callers from the public calling in the last 2 times ? I don't like the new format if their changing it, as I really like the public's comments, more than I do, of his "expert guests."

Generally it's a pretty good show, but I do not like the "new format" if their changing it. If I want to have so called expert opinions, I'd read the Athletic or the paper etc.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I noticed on the post game show with Kevin O -- they have allowed very few outside callers from the public calling in the last 2 times ? I don't like the new format if their changing it, as I really like the public's comments, more than I do, of his "expert guests."

Generally it's a pretty good show, but I do not like the "new format" if their changing it. If I want to have so called expert opinions, I'd read the Athletic or the paper etc.

I've found the post game callers to be more comedy than insight. I don't listen to the whole show often but I haven't heard any post game hot take I've agreed with. They may also be getting fewer calls, especially after late games.

Some really snippy radio happening right now

If you're talking about the Wiebe segment, it was the perfect storm of Wiebe being offended by every question and Hustler being overcome with a case of talking over the guest a la Kevin O.

Reactions: White Out 902
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille