GDT: 12/2/2017 | Wings @ Canadiens | 7PM ET | FSD

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If it takes firing Blashill and seeing that the team still sucks for people to realize it's 99% on the roster and Holland, I'm all for replacing Blash.

Basically. Any system any coach runs is going to get derailed with the bum ass defenseman on this team. They won’t thrive with any style of play.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I dont see how anyone could put it all on Holland or all on Blash. We have a garbage roster who has tuned the coach out. Give us a better roster and we still have a coach the players dont want to play for. Give us a better coach and we still have a garbage roster. Remember, both the GM and coach claim to like our team. If Blash is so competent why is he happy with this roster and still getting blown out? The entire organization top to bottom highly overvalues their own players.

Reactions: njx9 and avssuc

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I dont see how anyone could put it all on Holland or all on Blash. We have a garbage roster who has tuned the coach out. Give us a better roster and we still have a coach the players dont want to play for. Give us a better coach and we still have a garbage roster. Remember, both the GM and coach claim to like our team. If Blash is so competent why is he happy with this roster and still getting blown out? The entire organization top to bottom highly overvalues their own players.

Because sometimes you play the cards you're dealt? This team's downward trajectory was set well before Blash became coach. Some of us saw the writing on the wall when Detroit started pinning all its hopes on FAs coming here and started striking out badly. A lot more saw it when Holland started reacting to striking out by signing replacement level players to big contracts. In the end Blash was handed an team at or near the cap, with many albatross contracts and an aging core. Not really the recipe for success. And the fact that this team is doing exactly as bad as it did last year is a sign that its probably the team, not the system.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm curious how much talent you think we need to add to actually win a game, because if losing 10-1 is this roster performing at 100% capacity by my calculations we need to add 2 Lidstroms, a Karlsson, a Datsyuk, a prime Hasek and a Paul Byron in order to win instead.
Great teams get blown out from time to time. It happens. And a bad team like the Wings can get really blown out. Even in our prime, 2006-2009, the Wings didn't play perfect every game. They took games off. Even with a hardass like Bowman or Babcock that happened. It happens.

Maybe Blash isn't getting everything he can out of this roster. But 90%+ of the performance of the roster is on the roster, not the coach.
I dont see how anyone could put it all on Holland or all on Blash.
The buck ultimately stops with the GM. Period. He's the one that assembles the roster, hires the coach. And especially in this case where by all accounts, ownership isn't that hands on with the team and lets Holland run it, it's really all on him.

If Blashill is such a significant part of the problem, then Holland is a problem in that he's not replaced him yet.

I think it just comes down to what you believe about hockey. Do you think a superior coach can take a mediocre roster to cup contender? I do not. I don't think Bowman could get this team past the first round, much less to the finals. I frankly think he'd have a 30% shot at getting them into the playoffs. I absolutely believe though that our 2008 team could have gone to the finals with just about anyone behind the bench. A team with Lidstrom, prime Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Franzen going beast mode, Rafalski. That is just insane talent.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The free pass media circle-jerk surrounding this team has surely been going on for too long and no one covering the Wings is really free of blame; but I'm certainly not going to dismiss it or say "too little, too late" when one of the town's beat writers finally puts forth the guts to break from her peers who have been towing the line for years and finally ask some real questions. Too bad it took so long, but it's a step toward change and therefore, a step in the right direction.

I don't really enjoy seeing Kronwall and Z being made fools of by Helene's insinuations and word-play. If the captains aren't allowed to speak an honest evaluation of the players then all PG interviews should cease. It's a mockery.

There is one person, one only who deserves heat from the media and that's KEN HOLLAND.

Last edited by a moderator:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
This team isn't a bubble team. The defense is ****. The average age is ****. The goaltending is finally returning to Earth. The best position on the team, wingers, is still not even that great. Blaming coaching is like blaming an 8 track for why your 1973 duster with a bad transmission, bald tires, and a cracked engine block is ****. Sure its a problem, and normally it would be a HUGE problem, but taken as a whole with or without that 8 track its still a broken down 1973 duster. This team NEEDS to bottom out. It needs to be this terrible. Missing the playoffs wasn't enough. Having the media turn wasn't enough. Having the LCA be half empty still isn't enough. And rearranging the deck chair on this version of the Titanic isn't going to change that.
It's on Holland. It doesn't look like the coach is able to motivate or 'get the most' out of the players either. They should tank, start over and get a new GM/coach. Otherwise, they're just going through the motions and delaying the inevitable (and putting the future team behind 'schedule'). Of course, the current personnel is in denial so they are going to tell the media, everything that sounds good (to them).

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Just remember, our coach thinks this is a competitive roster and backs up our GM. But he is not part of the problem, nope:shakehead

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That is some fail leadership if that's true. Z for all his "we have to look into the mirror... it's on us in the room" talk, if he can't handle criticism then that is just poor on his part just to give up.

It depends.
Z might be getting sick and tired of playing for a clueless coach.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Z had been leaving it all on the ice, and the other players see it. Everyone in a locker room knows the guys they think can do a little more and the ones who are shouldering more than they should have to. If that's what turned the team against Blashill, it means Blashill totally misread that room. There's a reason Bowman chose to ride Shanny and Fedorov while not touching Yzerman. For all of Babcock's prickliness, I don't recall him ever calling out Z or D in the press, either. The coach has to know what buttons he can push, and Blashill might have just been totally oblivious to the fact that going after Z was pressing a big red button locked under glass.

I think there's a reason why Blashill has been soft on the team in the media these last two games, relative to the lashing he gave the team after the Vancouver loss.
If team leadership was unhappy about Blashill's comments, I bet some went to Holland.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It depends.
Z might be getting sick and tired of playing for a clueless coach.

If that theory is true then that is still piss poor leadership on Z's part. He doesn't like Trash then fine that's understandable. But to roll over and just give up would be unacceptable. Play for pride at this point and play for the line mates you have.

Reactions: SoupGuru and avssuc

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The"we have to look in the mirror" is a Blashill thing. Blash is all about looking into mirrors as his coaching trope. Z is probably realizing what Daysyuk realized a couple years ago: this team is bad and it gets really tiring being told you just have to work harder and everything will be fine. They're being asked to shovel 15 pounds of **** into a 5 pound bag. Yes, look into the mirror and convince yourself you're up to the task!
Blashill talks about looking in the mirror so much because of all the time he spent in his bathroom doing Babcock impressions.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If that theory is true then that is still piss poor leadership on Z's part. He doesn't like Trash then fine that's understandable. But to roll over and just give up would be unacceptable. Play for pride at this point and play for the line mates you have.

20 games without a goal.
Something ain't right.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Assigning a majority of the blame to the coach, GM, or players ignores the reach of this dumpster fire. Every part of this org needs to be criticized because they all helped to build to this moment.

Since the press refused to ask the tough questions sooner, this is the first time that scrutiny has an actual voice. Better late than never, but we need to wait and see if the heat is applied properly.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Red Wings aren't a great team, but they're not anywhere close to being as bad as they were tonight or over the past several games. They have a good enough roster to make the playoffs in the East, especially in the Atlantic division. Buffalo is rebuilding their rebuild. They aren't anywhere close to being competitive and will be running into cap problems as early as next season when Eichel's absurd contract kicks in. Same with Edmonton and McDavid.

I would agree but one problem glares at me, we have the 3rd highest salary in the league. Yes that is above the Caps with Oshie, Ovie, Carlson and Holtby. The Pens with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray. Dallas with Seguin, Benn, and Bishop. I could keep going but it's scary how many teams have a lot more talent and pay less.

And side note our division is bad there is a reason once we dropped out of our top 3 we dropped to 23rd in the league. Tampa is better for sure, Montreal with Price is better, Toronto is better, sadly. Florida is becoming a very good low end playoff team and are still better then us and will be at seasons end. We aren't a good team, our best players are two kids in Larkin and Mantha... A bright future but not a bright today especially with out cripples defensive end that keep in mind loses Green next year and has a 1 year older Ericsson and Kronner. Teams need to rebuild, we are doing what everyone laughed at the leafs for, for years.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I think it just comes down to what you believe about hockey. Do you think a superior coach can take a mediocre roster to cup contender? I do not. I don't think Bowman could get this team past the first round, much less to the finals. I frankly think he'd have a 30% shot at getting them into the playoffs. I absolutely believe though that our 2008 team could have gone to the finals with just about anyone behind the bench. A team with Lidstrom, prime Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Franzen going beast mode, Rafalski. That is just insane talent.
Remind me, who did 2017 Penguins have on their blue line? Who was their top defenseman? And they won the Cup.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
wings lost 10-3 to st louis in 2011. is it really that much better of loss just because they scored 2 more goals?

Thanks for that, nobody ever posted a game like that (even mlive iirc). Still it’s a worse game and I don’t think they lost 10-3 after getting blown out multiple times

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Great teams get blown out from time to time. It happens. And a bad team like the Wings can get really blown out. Even in our prime, 2006-2009, the Wings didn't play perfect every game. They took games off. Even with a hardass like Bowman or Babcock that happened. It happens.

Maybe Blash isn't getting everything he can out of this roster. But 90%+ of the performance of the roster is on the roster, not the coach.

The buck ultimately stops with the GM. Period. He's the one that assembles the roster, hires the coach. And especially in this case where by all accounts, ownership isn't that hands on with the team and lets Holland run it, it's really all on him.

If Blashill is such a significant part of the problem, then Holland is a problem in that he's not replaced him yet.

Insane talent constantly fails to make it past the 1st and 2nd rounds, and often misses the playoffs.

And there’s a lot of room in between cup contender and being a team that after 5 straight losses goes in against a division rival and plays 2 absolutely embarrassing games. I mean this team was doing pretty well before the last couple of games. Getting worse and worse over the course of a losing streak is exactly how you identify a team where the coach is not getting through(or is simply clueless, take your pick with Blash). It’s not a case of thinking the right coach makes us a contender, but some of us are tired of seeing this Blashill version of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad