Injury Report: 12/19 Hertl

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Honestly? I'd argue that Hertl will make or break the series. The coaches seem to be refusing to move Pavelski back to #3C even though our third line as constructed IS NOT WORKING. Hertl coming back may be the only way to get that to happen. Without Pavelski on the third line, I really don't like our chances against LA. If we have Hertl back, that changes this a ton.

This. I think Hertl is the kind of player that pushes SJ up amongst the highest group of teams like the Blues, Bruins, etc. As it is we can absolutely compete with those teams, but Hertl is just a big advantage.

I'd still like to try:

Pavelski - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Torres - Hertl - Wingels
Sheppard - Desjardins - Kennedy

but I don't think that's a good idea for the playoffs, so perhaps next season. Hertl would be well insulated with two very good 3rd liners/middle six tweeners and both can score. I just want Hertl to be groomed for a long term 2nd line centre role. I'd rather not rush him obviously, so if TMac thinks he should stay on Jumbo's wing another half a season or even full season, I wouldn't complain.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
This. I think Hertl is the kind of player that pushes SJ up amongst the highest group of teams like the Blues, Bruins, etc. As it is we can absolutely compete with those teams, but Hertl is just a big advantage.

I'd still like to try:

Pavelski - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Torres - Hertl - Wingels
Sheppard - Desjardins - Kennedy

but I don't think that's a good idea for the playoffs, so perhaps next season. Hertl would be well insulated with two very good 3rd liners/middle six tweeners and both can score. I just want Hertl to be groomed for a long term 2nd line centre role. I'd rather not rush him obviously, so if TMac thinks he should stay on Jumbo's wing another half a season or even full season, I wouldn't complain.

Last thing I want hertl doing is learning to play nhl center, when he hasn't played in 4 months and it's the playoffs. There will be a time for this experiment. But not this year. If he not ready to be on joes line yet I don't mind seeing him on the third till he gets his legs. But I want him on the wing were he has some comfort and success. He was not creating as much offense as he was benefiting from burns joe getting a lot of attention. He would not be as successful on any line.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Last thing I want hertl doing is learning to play nhl center, when he hasn't played in 4 months and it's the playoffs. There will be a time for this experiment. But not this year. If he not ready to be on joes line yet I don't mind seeing him on the third till he gets his legs. But I want him on the wing were he has some comfort and success. He was not creating as much offense as he was benefiting from burns joe getting a lot of attention. He would not be as successful on any line.

He's played centre basically his entire career (IIRC), and he'd be in as good of a situation as any to play that role - he'd have good wingers. Also, it's not as though he's not physically mature enough to play centre and he's demonstrated he's capable of creating his own offence. He'd get to take on other 3rd lines and likely dominate. But I also said that playing him as a centre in the playoffs is probably not a good idea, and that I'd like to see him playing centre next year, or at worst the year after. But I made sure to say that it's not a good idea for him to play centre right now. :P

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's played centre basically his entire career (IIRC), and he'd be in as good of a situation as any to play that role - he'd have good wingers. Also, it's not as though he's not physically mature enough to play centre and he's demonstrated he's capable of creating his own offence. He'd get to take on other 3rd lines and likely dominate. But I also said that playing him as a centre in the playoffs is probably not a good idea, and that I'd like to see him playing centre next year, or at worst the year after. But I made sure to say that it's not a good idea for him to play centre right now. :P

Nope, he solely played RW last year in the Czech Extraliiga. Bringing him back as a center in the playoffs would be moronic.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nope, he solely played RW last year in the Czech Extraliiga. Bringing him back as a center in the playoffs would be moronic.

My bad then. How about prior to last year?

But I NEVER ONCE SAID PLAY HIM CENTRE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Why does everyone think I said that? :laugh:
...but I don't think that's a good idea for the playoffs, so perhaps next season...

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Freak out guys. Hertl out of his non-contact jersey.

hertl.jpg

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If he can play against the Kings, start this:

Hertl Thornton Burns
Marleau Couture Nieto
Torres Pavelski Wingels
Desjardins Sheppard Brown

And have Brown say hi to Mr. D-bag (Dustin) BRown...

Then take the suspension and roll this:

Hertl Thornton Burns
Marleau Couture Nieto
Torres Pavelski Wingels
Desjardins Sheppard Havlat / Kennedy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad