Marlies Discussion: 12'/13' Marlies Part I|Looking Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Broll is a tough kid, I hope for his sake he learns to protect himself better in fights. You see by this fight he doesn't use angles well in fights, he may get clocked one day and that could put him out.

I don't think he has what it takes to beat out Devane for the future enforcer role, Devane has pretty much demolished everyone I have seen him fight with this year, the only player that has been close was one of the two fights Jamie had with Stortini, where he fought with a visor on.

Devane, IMO, has done well in limited action this year. You can actually notice him for more than just his fisticuffs. He's put up a few points and hasn't looked out of place. For comparison sake, Frazer McLaren had 8 points and one assist in his AHL rookie season (75 games), Devane has 5 points through 18 games (missing time with injury and healthy scratch due to depth).

Broll last night showed he could keep up speed wise, but working on his agility and stop/starts will be an area he needs to work on the next few seasons.

I think the hope is that both become a little more than just punchers at the next level. More than just Colton Orr replacements.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Devane, IMO, has done well in limited action this year. You can actually notice him for more than just his fisticuffs. He's put up a few points and hasn't looked out of place. For comparison sake, Frazer McLaren had 8 points and one assist in his AHL rookie season (75 games), Devane has 5 points through 18 games (missing time with injury and healthy scratch due to depth).

Broll last night showed he could keep up speed wise, but working on his agility and stop/starts will be an area he needs to work on the next few seasons.

I think the hope is that both become a little more than just punchers at the next level. More than just Colton Orr replacements.

From what I have seen, Broll has some decent hands. I think he can be a S.Thornton type player if he can put it together.

Devane has also worked hard on skills such as defensive play, which will serve him well in the pros. If he can kill penalties and be responsible in his own end, coaches will be able to use him for more than just fighting.

Hopefully Devane and Broll turn out to be solid 4th line players that can also contribute besides just fighting.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Morgan Rielly has me real excited. I've watched the Marlies about ~4 of the 8-9 time that he's played and I've come away impressed each time.

Smart plays, does all the little things that go unnoticed on the scoresheet, fluid skater, great passer and his shot is VERY accurate.

He would be racking up assists in the NHL like crazy just on the rebounds from his shots.

I can't wait till he's in the NHL. He or Phaneuf might have to switch positions but I think he'll make Phaneuf's job a lot easier.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Good assessment of Jamie, the thing that has me excited about Devane is his improved skating, he also has a set of hands that most enforcers would die to have. I'm not saying he is Bob Probert but the goals he scores on breakaways does sort of remind me of him.

I agree there is a lot more to Devane than just fisticuffs, he was picked very high for his ranking in 09, I think he has more potential to be an impact Leaf than Ryan or Blacker, the 2 guys picked before him. I also like Ross's development, starting to see why we moved Hayes to get him, he's another I am really taking a shine to.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
All the Marlies rookies are looking strong(er) in the 2nd half of the season which is good to see. Even the homer SJ announcers last night were talking about how strong the youth looked.

Guys who aren't primary offensive types are starting to put up point totals. McKegg gets his share of PP time, but D'Amigo/Ryan have added offense on depth roles. 20-30 points may not be impressive, but given the current active leading scorer in Zigomanis has 33 and Abbott has 30 (and they are primary PP/offensive types) it's encouraging. Even more impressive for D'Amigo who has 16 goals (had 15 in 75 games last year) even with his slow start offensively. Why he doesn't get a longer look in an offensive role I don't know. Perhaps next season.

It's too bad Ashton is hurt right now, because he's a guy who would benefit from the extra ice-time.

If the rookies can continue to trend upwards, the Marlies may be led by a young group next year - depending on who they bring back vet wise (Acton/Scott/Zigomanis/Lasch).

With all the call-ups and various injuries along the way, the depth has really stepped up and has the Marlies tied for 1st in the Western Conference. Not sure how many teams lost as much depth as the Marlies did this season (with the lockout). They're at a similar pace to where the club was last year at this time - impressive given the youth on the club right now. It'll be interesting to see how the youngsters play down the stretch and into the playoffs. A good development year for them to be on a winning team and potentially a long playoff run.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Morgan Rielly has me real excited. I've watched the Marlies about ~4 of the 8-9 time that he's played and I've come away impressed each time.

Smart plays, does all the little things that go unnoticed on the scoresheet, fluid skater, great passer and his shot is VERY accurate.

He would be racking up assists in the NHL like crazy just on the rebounds from his shots.

I can't wait till he's in the NHL. He or Phaneuf might have to switch positions but I think he'll make Phaneuf's job a lot easier.

Say it again, Rielly reminds me of how Leetch once played. He plays the game with a beautiful mind and grace. Sorry to sound poetic but I see him with even more upside than Kadri, I said that earlier in the year too, and Kadri has exceeded even my expectations but Rielly really has the ability to dominate a game when he is ready and mature. He could probably contribute to the Leafs right now, I think he is already superior to Gardiner and Liles in the PMD role, his passing is extraordinary.

As for Dion's future defence partner, I see Stuart Percy as the best fit for Dion. Percy is the type of guy you can play with just about anyone and make his partner's job easier. He also plays the game with a beautiful mind, to me he is a much better Gunnarson, the future is very bright for these 2, and both are extremely high character people, which means to me they will not settle to be anything less than vital Leafs components in the future. The bust tag is so far away for these 2, that I am just counting the days before they make big impacts with our team. Bet on Percy and Rielly, safe bets to make it big with us.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Say it again, Rielly reminds me of how Leetch once played. He plays the game with a beautiful mind and grace. Sorry to sound poetic but I see him with even more upside than Kadri, I said that earlier in the year too, and Kadri has exceeded even my expectations but Rielly really has the ability to dominate a game when he is ready and mature. He could probably contribute to the Leafs right now, I think he is already superior to Gardiner and Liles in the PMD role, his passing is extraordinary.

As for Dion's future defence partner, I see Stuart Percy as the best fit for Dion. Percy is the type of guy you can play with just about anyone and make his partner's job easier. He also plays the game with a beautiful mind, to me he is a much better Gunnarson, the future is very bright for these 2, and both are extremely high character people, which means to me they will not settle to be anything less than vital Leafs components in the future. The bust tag is so far away for these 2, that I am just counting the days before they make big impacts with our team. Bet on Percy and Rielly, safe bets to make it big with us.

:m-dance:

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Incredibly impressed with the soldier like attitudes that all of these guys have. Total team is more important than us attitude, and its no wonder they are thriving under Eakins.

Ryan, Carrick, Devane, Ross is buying in, Ashton. Awesome. Going to be a very tough team to deal with considering all the size/grit/toughness on there next year. Devane, Broll, McWilliam all with capability to hurt people, and Ashton/Carrick/Ross/Ryan all tough.

Soon we will have a very steady stream of guys that will be able to slot into positions seamlessly in the bottom six for sure. The hope is some of them can develop into the impact roles we need.

:D

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com

Nothing wrong with poetry guy - bring it on!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Incredibly impressed with the soldier like attitudes that all of these guys have. Total team is more important than us attitude, and its no wonder they are thriving under Eakins.

Ryan, Carrick, Devane, Ross is buying in, Ashton. Awesome. Going to be a very tough team to deal with considering all the size/grit/toughness on there next year. Devane, Broll, McWilliam all with capability to hurt people, and Ashton/Carrick/Ross/Ryan all tough.

Soon we will have a very steady stream of guys that will be able to slot into positions seamlessly in the bottom six for sure. The hope is some of them can develop into the impact roles we need.

Thank you brian burke :yo: !
Is Ashton injured?

yes he is atm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nothing wrong with poetry guy - bring it on!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, love the way certain players play. Percy and Rielly play the game 2 steps ahead of everyone, I wish Blacker could translate his skills to the mental side, but it is a soft skill to play the game in slow motion, or a few steps ahead.

There is another guy in junior that plays like this, Ryan Pulock, maybe we get lucky a 3rd time, 3 drafts in a row, never a bad thing to draft high IQ types on the ice. Cheers mate.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

They will be a team people absolutely hate to play against soon. Can't wait!

Thank you brian burke :yo: !

Indeed. There will be a lot of people who were asking questions (where's the pugnacity?) that will soon realize where it was.

Nice to see prospects on the Marlies now.

They were kind of the opposite of the Leafs, a veteran heavy and lead team with Kadri and Gardiner.

Actually last years run was driven almost entirely by youth. The regular season saw more vets but the run was almost all youth.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
The first half of the regular season was all Kadri, Aucoin and the defense (a good chunk of which ended up on the Leafs). Since then it's been all the prospects led by Colborne

I should mention Hamilon has been amazing all year

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
The first half of the regular season was all Kadri, Aucoin and the defense (a good chunk of which ended up on the Leafs). Since then it's been all the prospects led by Colborne

I should mention Hamilon has been amazing all year
Love how regardless of all the change, we've been able to mesh together when the time comes and get the wins :D

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love how regardless of all the change, we've been able to mesh together when the time comes and get the wins :D

It's also called 'good coaching' ... Getting all your players, no matter how experienced, to buy into a team-first system that is garnering success

I really hope Eakins sticks with the organization .. He would be a good successor to Carlyle eventually

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
It's also called 'good coaching' ... Getting all your players, no matter how experienced, to buy into a team-first system that is garnering success

I really hope Eakins sticks with the organization .. He would be a good successor to Carlyle eventually

Brian Burke, Dave Nonis and Dave Morrison also deserve some of the credit for that.

THey drafted and brought in guys who have a team first mentality. It musnt have been easy for a 40 goal junior scorer in Brad Ross to spend so much time in the press box. What about guys like Carrick and Devane starting in the ECHL, or a top 6 forward last year in D'Amigo being relegated to the bottom 6 at the start of the year.

This is what you get when you draft "character players". A good coach can more easily use these parts to the teams benefit

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
Brian Burke, Dave Nonis and Dave Morrison also deserve some of the credit for that.

THey drafted and brought in guys who have a team first mentality. It musnt have been easy for a 40 goal junior scorer in Brad Ross to spend so much time in the press box. What about guys like Carrick and Devane starting in the ECHL, or a top 6 forward last year in D'Amigo being relegated to the bottom 6 at the start of the year.

This is what you get when you draft "character players". A good coach can more easily use these parts to the teams benefit

I think this is a really good point. They've had to micromanage these guys a lot this season with the lockout, and crazy influx of talent we have, but it seems like all the guys are solid individuals. We don't have anyone who feels entitled and thus we've been able to sit on some of our prospects, only now giving them a chance.

I'm really interested to think what the line-up will look like next year. I think there will be more ice-time for all the younger players and the Marlies will likely be able to continue their winning ways. However, it will be interesting to see where everyone fits in, especially amongst the forwards who will likely be getting Broll, Leivo, and Biggs on a full-time basis. I think the roster will look something like this:

Hamilton - Colborne - Ashton
Ross - McKegg - Abbott
D'Amigo - Acton - Scott
Biggs - Carrick - Ryan
Broll, Devane, Leivo, Crescenzi, Lasch

Ranger - Blacker
Percy - Holzer
Marshall - MacWilliam
Granberg

MacIntyre
Owuya
Sparks

Unfortunately our new influx of prospects is going to force some of the veterans out of the line-up so it will be interesting to see if they opt to keep any. I think our defence will be set, with maybe a Gysbers, Yeo, or Mottau in place of Ranger or Holzer if they're bound for the NHL.

On forward, however, it might be wise to send any prospects we can back for an overage year, as we're going to be thin on spots. Of course Hamilton might opt not to resign if he isn't guaranteed an NHL spot, and Colborne may be full-time Leafs, but it's hard to not see the Leafs bringing in some Zigomanis/Aucoin type players to offset the green of our forward ranks.

However, I think that's about it for Brenner, Grimshaw, Syvret, Mottau, Gysbers, Yeo, Zigomanis, and Rynnas with the Marlies. I doubt they'll be back next year. I think we should resign Owuya as he's still young enough, and we don't really know how Sparks will fair in a full season.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
I think this is a really good point. They've had to micromanage these guys a lot this season with the lockout, and crazy influx of talent we have, but it seems like all the guys are solid individuals. We don't have anyone who feels entitled and thus we've been able to sit on some of our prospects, only now giving them a chance.

I'm really interested to think what the line-up will look like next year. I think there will be more ice-time for all the younger players and the Marlies will likely be able to continue their winning ways. However, it will be interesting to see where everyone fits in, especially amongst the forwards who will likely be getting Broll, Leivo, and Biggs on a full-time basis. I think the roster will look something like this:

Hamilton - Colborne - Ashton
Ross - McKegg - Abbott
D'Amigo - Acton - Scott
Biggs - Carrick - Ryan
Broll, Devane, Leivo, Crescenzi, Lasch

Ranger - Blacker
Percy - Holzer
Marshall - MacWilliam
Granberg

MacIntyre
Owuya
Sparks

Unfortunately our new influx of prospects is going to force some of the veterans out of the line-up so it will be interesting to see if they opt to keep any. I think our defence will be set, with maybe a Gysbers, Yeo, or Mottau in place of Ranger or Holzer if they're bound for the NHL.

On forward, however, it might be wise to send any prospects we can back for an overage year, as we're going to be thin on spots. Of course Hamilton might opt not to resign if he isn't guaranteed an NHL spot, and Colborne may be full-time Leafs, but it's hard to not see the Leafs bringing in some Zigomanis/Aucoin type players to offset the green of our forward ranks.

However, I think that's about it for Brenner, Grimshaw, Syvret, Mottau, Gysbers, Yeo, Zigomanis, and Rynnas with the Marlies. I doubt they'll be back next year. I think we should resign Owuya as he's still young enough, and we don't really know how Sparks will fair in a full season.

There is a good chance Ranger will be with the big club next year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holzer will be with the Leafs next year. Despite him struggling when he was called upon, I think he's still NHL material in a bottom pairing role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad