Post-Game Talk: 12/13/17 | Godzilla 7 : Bambi 1

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
we beat this same team three weeks ago.

people need to stop panicking. we are missing the only young in his prime forward we have who drives play and it has exposed the fact all our spare parts are complimentary players, none of our other prospects drive play at this stage in their development and the sedins are really old. the team is paying the price of that and maybe some overdue bad breaks and getting demoralized. the coach is trying to keep them in a safe space. the edges are fraying especially when we play a really good team.

sounds like what we all expected before training camp. it's been very useful to have it revealed how horvat and boeser were propping up a house of cards so we didn't get cocky.

i still think the solution is to have willie guest coach though. i am not sure how long green can maintain the charade that this is a serious nhl team.

What would you suggest. He go to the press a la torts and say what amounts to this team sucks?

Coaches have to maintain a sense of sobriety and a little optimism while remaining calm for the press, even if they know what they are saying is crap. As a prior poster typed, "Coaching 101". All good coaches are good at it. Even if they melt the paint off the walls behind the scenes, before the media, it's all cool. Never throw a player or the team in general under the bus. They always have their players' backs. If you lose your players, turn in your resignation. You are done.

In his 4 seasons in Utica he not only never lost his team, he never lost a player. Don't expect that to happen in Vancouver any time soon.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This was not a good game.

Nilsson... gut punch.

I kinda think he should start next game tho. I think it would be the right thing to do to help cement the goaltending situation...

He has another similar outing... ok, Marky's starting the rest of the way 4 to 1.
He bounces back - reestablishes confidence in himself most important... and the coaches/team's confidence in him. Gets opportunity to wipe it away and not have it sit with him for another week + before getting back in.

But it is at the point where when Green annouces the starting goalie, whoever it is will be met with a completely 'meh' reaction. Don't have any faith in either one as anything more than a stop gap.
Good games here and there, some good numbers.. ... littered with back breaking goals..

Anyone know if Miller wants to come back?

Despite both our goalies not playing well lately, and marky IMO still not playing to his potential, BOTH current starters are numerically indistinguishable from Miller's tenure here.

Miller was good, but not $6M good. And he let in more than his fair share of poor goals from long range. It's just that he didn't have the "unproven netminder" narrative pushed by the media like it's being pushed for Nilly and Marky.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What would you suggest. He go to the press a la torts and say what amounts to this team sucks?

Coaches have to maintain a sense of sobriety and a little optimism while remaining calm for the press, even if they know what they are saying is crap. As a prior poster typed, "Coaching 101". All good coaches are good at it. Even if they melt the paint off the walls behind the scenes, before the media, it's all cool. Never throw a player or the team in general under the bus. They always have their players' backs. If you lose your players, turn in your resignation. You are done.

In his 4 seasons in Utica he not only never lost his team, he never lost a player. Don't expect that to happen in Vancouver any time soon.

that is good to know.

and i am not down on the guy at all. i just feel bad for him.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Miller is better than Marky.
We all saw that last year.
I did not like Marky last yr.

Whats the narrative again?

Disagree.
We actually have VERY good depth in our lineup. Virtually every position.
We just lack elite level/top end talent at all positions.

Our depth will carry us/has been carrying us.

Look at out last 2 games alone..
Granlund, Edler, Pouliot, Vanek... then Goldobin...

I think the narrative has gone off the rails a bit.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Miller is better than Marky.
We all saw that last year.
I did not like Marky last yr.

Whats the narrative again?
Oh please take your "making the playoffs and getting face rolled is better than adding a superstar" tripe away. Maybe Miller could turn a top 5 1st (aka a Pettersson) into a mid-20s pick by get us back the playoffs this year. It'd be totally worth it trading down 20 spots for 2 home games.

Meanwhile back in reality Miller was mediocre here across his 3 years leading the team to 3rd worst and 2nd worst finishes and he'd do that again if he was still here. All the while clogging up the search for the next started with his lame duck contract.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Oh please take your "making the playoffs and getting face rolled is better than adding a superstar" tripe away. Maybe Miller could turn a top 5 1st (aka a Pettersson) into a mid-20s pick by get us back the playoffs this year. It'd be totally worth it trading down 20 spots for 2 home games.

Meanwhile back in reality Miller was mediocre here across his 3 years leading the team to 3rd worst and 2nd worst finishes and he'd do that again if he was still here. All the while clogging up the search for the next started with his lame duck contract.

#fakenews #fakequote
Whats tripe is your post.
You have no idea what you are talking about... or thinking about someone else.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
But what's been consistent ALL of Markstrom's career and this season is his tendency to let in back breakers... or just poorly timed goals despite putting up good numbers.

Nilsson... good numbers this yr (at one time)... but same thing.

If he lets in one stinker, and makes 1 incredible save he shouldn't have made.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Evens out.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
He seems to always let the stinker in first doesnt he.
Seems to matter in terms of how the game goes for us.

Again, 10th highest ES SV% in the league right now.

I would not blame Markstrom or Nilson for where we are at right now.

Besides, Miller constantly let in stinkers all the time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Again, 10th highest ES SV% in the league right now.

I would not blame Markstrom or Nilson for where we are at right now.

Besides, Miller constantly let in stinkers all the time.

?
They/he should be credited for where we are overall..
For some of the wins.
For some of the losses as well.
PP and scoring also deserves their share of the credit... and lately the blame.

None of that changes how i feel about them as dependable starters.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Mhmmm, Goaltending has been this teams strength.

What is going on right now is a heavy case of Negativity Bias. Where because we let in a stinker here and there, somehow that overrides the fact our goaltenders have been above average at stopping pucks this year.
I had an edit to my post since i accidentally posted before done.

But overall we're 17th in sv%... dont know why you wish to exclude our elite SHGA PP or PK... those are important parts of the game as well.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I had an edit to my post since i accidentally posted before done.

But overall we're 17th in sv%... dont know why you wish to exclude our elite SHGA PP or PK... those are important parts of the game as well.

Because special teams are special teams.

You can make an argument that our PK is just bad, it's 21st in the league.

I really do not think that goaltending is a good scapegoat for the lack of depth. It's been fine, even if it's just 17th like you say. That's average, the rest of the team is not average. Blaming goaltending is easy, every teams fans do it when the hard thing to admit is that the roster in front of the goaltender is pitiful.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Because special teams are special teams.

You can make an argument that our PK is just bad, it's 21st in the league.

I really do not think that goaltending is a good scapegoat for the lack of depth. It's been fine, even if it's just 17th like you say. That's average, the rest of the team is not average. Blaming goaltending is easy, every teams fans do it when the hard thing to admit is that the roster in front of the goaltender is pitiful.

Well.. we Were talking about the Preds gm here.... and yes.. i am putting significant blame on Nilsson for the gut punch start to it... plus.

Dont mistake that for not understanding the makeup of the current team in front of him.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Well.. we Were talking about the Preds gm here.... and yes.. i am putting significant blame on Nilsson for the gut punch start to it... plus.

Dont mistake that for not understanding the makeup of the current team in front of him.

Well, then it looks like I just misread, my mistake.

Also, can we blame Nilson, remember when Miller and the team had a great big meltdown vs Carolina where we gave up a 5-1 lead or was it 5-2? That was last year I believe. I can't expect Nilson to play better then Miller, he's not brought in to do Miller's job. And personally, I think Markstrom has done a fine job replacing Miller so far.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Also, can we blame Nilson, remember when Miller and the team had a great big meltdown vs Carolina where we gave up a 5-1 lead or was it 5-2? That was last year I believe. I can't expect Nilson to play better then Miller, he's not brought in to do Miller's job. And personally, I think Markstrom has done a fine job replacing Miller so far.
We'll agree to disagree.
Miller was our MVP last season... the reason we rose from the ashes of a 9 gm losing streak (11g was it)and were 500 halfway through the season with zero scoring.

There is a difference between the two.. big one imo.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The rational way to judge them is by the numbers. I agree with your take. Anything other than that puts too much emphasis on the aesthetic of the performance than the actual performance.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The reality is markstrom and miller are goalies who produce a similar impact on the team over the course of a season and are both mid end starters in this league.

Markstrom would have the team where Miller had it last year and Miller would have this team in the same spot that Markstrom/Nilsson have it.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Well other than the misspelling of a very simple word, loser. Your whole schtick on almost every post youve ever made here is about toughness, acting tough, calling out players for not responding etc.

Apologies for not proof reading my HF post before posting :laugh:

This teams leadership core has been soft for years (Sedins, Edler). It sucks to watch your team loose but there is nothing worse then watching your team loose AND get bullied and pushed around. At least show some pushback and backbone in a blowout loss.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We'll agree to disagree.
Miller was our MVP last season... the reason we rose from the ashes of a 9 gm losing streak (11g was it)and were 500 halfway through the season with zero scoring.

There is a difference between the two.. big one imo.

A .500 record doesn't mean much today with the loser point. We're .500 right now with TWO inferior goalies in net (tied currently for 5th lowest in terms of GF).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad