OT: 117th Obsequious Banter Thread: National Cookie Day is celebrated in December

What is your favorite cookie or two...make it top four? [Select up to four]

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
That sucks dude. Good luck with your search.
Shame busting packs open can’t be a day job.
This was the only job I ever knew. It wasn't perfect and the company wasn't perfect. I'm certainly not rolling in cash. But I love the people I work with and came to know as friends, and my bosses trust me and have been very understanding and accommodating of my kidney troubles. I get every major holiday off and my work pertains to my major (there's not much out there).

I'm very very far from the first person to ever go through this, but it IS the first time I've ever had to and I'm feeling pretty lost right now.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
This was the only job I ever knew. It wasn't perfect and the company wasn't perfect. I'm certainly not rolling in cash. But I love the people I work with and came to know as friends, and my bosses trust me and have been very understanding and accommodating of my kidney troubles. I get every major holiday off and my work pertains to my major (there's not much out there).

I'm very very far from the first person to ever go through this, but it IS the first time I've ever had to and I'm feeling pretty lost right now.
just take a deep breath..have a tasty beverage and relax..it sucks and seems like the end of the world..but it isn't. Invest in yourself a few days and things will be clear. Though finding a job in todays climate could be a bit touch and go

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
just take a deep breath..have a tasty beverage and relax..it sucks and seems like the end of the world..but it isn't. Invest in yourself a few days and things will be clear. Though finding a job in todays climate could be a bit touch and go
I have a few in mind to apply for, I'm just not thrilled at the idea of having to start over. Though, then again, if you're not miserable where you are now, who is?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Don’t forget about unemployment if you need it. No shame in using what you’re paying for

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1705094156395.png

I'm sure you can extrapolate this a little north. The email didn't say I can't disseminate this so here it is

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Oddly enough, Notice to airmen was posted 2 hours ago regarding a high risk for radiation at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Island which is where Lockheed Martin has the system Space Fence.

"
A Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) has been issued for Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, warning of a severe radiation hazard. The airspace north of the airport’s runway should be avoided at all costs, as it poses significant risks to life. In order to mitigate these dangers, all flights are directed to utilize southern approach and departure routes instead. This information has been provided by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

"

:popcorn:

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Taiwan election results coming in soon. Huge implications. There's a moderate candidate vs a China backed candidate vs an anti China candidate who China has called "dangerous"

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Taiwan election results coming in soon. Huge implications. There's a moderate candidate vs a China backed candidate vs an anti China candidate who China has called "dangerous"

If China decides the result is their cassus belli then it'll be interesting watching them find out live which of their missiles are filled with fake fuel and which arent.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Well the "dangerous" party that supports Taiwanese indepence won

There’s an awful lot going on far out of the scope of one person or one family. But my thoughts today are with one of my best friends since grade school. He watched 9/11 happen from his NYU dorm and it caused him to go back to Taiwan. Now he’s worried sick about the same kind of large scale violence in his backyard again. It shouldn’t be this hard.

I try not to lose sight of this anyway, but it’s also a reminder that bullshit I have to deal with every day is nothing.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
There’s an awful lot going on far out of the scope of one person or one family. But my thoughts today are with one of my best friends since grade school. He watched 9/11 happen from his NYU dorm and it caused him to go back to Taiwan. Now he’s worried sick about the same kind of large scale violence in his backyard again. It shouldn’t be this hard.

I try not to lose sight of this anyway, but it’s also a reminder that bullshit I have to deal with every day is nothing.
That is a horrible situation for him. It's nuts - the objective "good guy" wins, and there's a real threat of unrest because of it. It's so ass backwards. It shouldn't be like this.

China has been mobilizing for months, attributing it to the classic "military exercises". I worry about this situation. Look- the Ukraine war and the Israel....situation.....are atrocities. But this? Could literally be world changing. The geopolitical and economic implications of this would be massive. Taiwan is the tech capital of the world. Other countries will step in if China esxalates to violence. The US has already started arming them.

Stepping away from the cliff, DPP has had power for I think 3 election cycles in a row now? You could look at that one of 2 ways: this being a sort of last straw, or all of this talk being just more talk. I hope your friend stays safe. Again.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I have a few in mind to apply for, I'm just not thrilled at the idea of having to start over. Though, then again, if you're not miserable where you are now, who is?

I’m sorry it happened, but you’ve got this. All that anxiety is upfront. Once you get into the actual process of moving on, it feels less daunting.

I’ve done an awful lot of hiring over the years. The industry doesn’t matter. The one thing I tell everyone in this situation is to ignore job requirements. If you want something, apply for it. You’re an intelligent person. There are going to be shops that stretch their wants or create positions to get you. But that can only happen if you come across their view.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I’m sorry it happened, but you’ve got this. All that anxiety is upfront. Once you get into the actual process of moving on, it feels less daunting.

I’ve done an awful lot of hiring over the years. The industry doesn’t matter. The one thing I tell everyone in this situation is to ignore job requirements. If you want something, apply for it. You’re an intelligent person. There are going to be shops that stretch their wants or create positions to get you. But that can only happen if you come across their view.
Can confirm. My job required a residency or 3 yrs experience. I had neither. Still bagged it

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I am more worried about being drawn into a wider ME war. The escalation with the Houthis and the Blowfish is disconcerting..

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Can confirm. My job required a residency or 3 yrs experience. I had neither. Still bagged it

Good man. I'm proud of you.

My last gig before I retired to consulting was with one of the largest privately owned corps in the world in a stuffy, traditional industry. My job required an MBA. If anyone was going to stick to it hard and fast, it was these guys. The internal promotion I made sure got the position has a GED. Never, ever listen to that shit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad