What is your favorite doughnut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Oh I'm not outraged. I've learned to just more or less ignore whatever is happening in the social climate of the world. I have no influence on it so I'm not the least bit bothered about it. The best thing you can do in this connected world is just to delete any/all social media. Almost all of it is borderline toxic.

If you want to be fat go for it but don't try and pass it off as a healthy lifestyle. It's like we live in some sort of bizzaro world where we don't even want to own our poor choices.
How many people are denying responsibility for being fat, though? I think you're overestimating the contingent of obese people who try to pass as healthy.

Fatness can be tied to class. People working multiple jobs might not have as much time to work out or prepare healthy meals. Some locations (food deserts) lack healthy food options. Also, much of the U.S. is not walkable. If we had more common sense transportation infrastructure that allowed for safer walking/cycling, more people would be able to incorporate exercise into their daily routines.

Reactions: Danko

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Dude those course are absolutely top notch. Highly recommend. The coast is stunning. Assuming you are flying into Portland, take the extra time to take 101 (coastal route) down to Bandon rather than take 5 inland and cutting over. Or when you head back.

If you pull the trigger let me know. I road my bicycle the entire coast so got a more up close and personal feel for the spots. Plus we hit the coast all the time in the winter anyways.
Pull that trigger!
If I do it, id be flying right into OTH. There's a United flight from San Fran that departs once a day in the summer time, so it'd be PHL to SFO then to OTH

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
If I do it, id be flying right into OTH. There's a United flight from San Fran that departs once a day in the summer time, so it'd be PHL to SFO then to OTH
Had to look up OTH as I’d never fly there. Lol. That is perfect. That little town of Charleston on the way to Bandon is a major oyster harbor that has great spots to eat. Super old school.

• Love
Reactions: Cody Webster

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
How many people are denying responsibility for being fat, though? I think you're overestimating the contingent of obese people who try to pass as healthy.

Fatness can be tied to class. People working multiple jobs might not have as much time to work out or prepare healthy meals. Some locations (food deserts) lack healthy food options. Also, much of the U.S. is not walkable. If we had more common sense transportation infrastructure that allowed for safer walking/cycling, more people would be able to incorporate exercise into their daily routines.
There is also such a thing as genetic obesity. It is not just about obese people liking to eat alot or being lazy.

I mean it is easy to poke fun at obese people and we all are all guilty. Heck over half this country is technically obese if you consider BMI which isn't always the best marker for gauging physical health. You have football players with high BMI but are technically fit.

This country has a problem with weight for many sociological and other reasons including a food industry built for profit and not nutrition or health.

This is not to excuse people who willfully engage in glutonous behavior. The positive body image thing is ok in moderation but yeah we shouldn't be mainstreaming a mostly unhealthy lifestyle.

Edit: We should follow the Japanese model. Healthy diet is ingrained in their traditional lifestyle habits. Lunch in schools is treated like a health and nutrition class for example. But they too now have their for profit challenges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

There shouldn't be a singular magazine that says "big is beautiful / etc."

While I agree with you to some extent, it doesn't take much effort to make healthy meals. Sure a big salad with half a can of black beans mixed in it absolutely doesn't have the appeal of a hamburger off the grill. Chicken, broccoli and rice isn't very appealing to eat a lot either.

I fully support redesigning the US to be not car friendly. It's the exact opposite of freedom. Ask most people if they are interested in getting rid of parking spots for bike lanes, paying for bike infrastructure, supporting mixed use development, supporting "missing middle" housing, reducing the amount of vehicle lanes. Stuff like that doesn't happen often and usually people bitch/moan about it.

Food deserts are another problem but that seems to be exoarbated by their own communities. People in those communities rob/steal from those businesses and they move elsewhere. I can't fault those companies for doing so.

Most people aren't interested in getting out of their cars for whatever they believe. They certainly aren't interested in moving away from the awfulness of modern suburbia.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
There is also such a thing as genetic obesity. It is not just about obese people liking to eat alot or being lazy.

I mean it is easy to poke fun at obese people and we all are all guilty. Heck over half this country is technically obese if you consider BMI which isn't always the best marker for gauging physical health. You have football players with high BMI but are technically fit.

This country has a problem with weight for many sociological and other reasons including a food industry built for profit and not nutrition or health.

Genetic obesity isn't that common.

At the end of the day lots of consumers still make those terrible choices to prop up the food industry. Americans love their crappy frozen foods and foods saturated in fats/sugars/oils.

I tend to try and eat as little meat as possible and people ask me if I'm vegetarian like it's sort some of problem. It's hard to find good vegetarian food out east compared to California.

Reactions: Lord Defect

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Printing presses are still a thing?

Partially why no one knows how to do anything is that lots of the things we use on a daily basis don't require constant upkeep.
I assume the kind I worked on are, it was three stories high and I had a crew of 5 people. Books magazines ect. are still printed I'm guessing. As I retired in 2006 I might be wrong though.

Reactions: Lindberg

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Genetic obesity isn't that common.

At the end of the day lots of consumers still make those terrible choices to prop up the food industry. Americans love their crappy frozen foods and foods saturated in fats/sugars/oils.

I tend to try and eat as little meat as possible and people ask me if I'm vegetarian like it's sort some of problem. It's hard to find good vegetarian food out east compared to California.
Not exactly true...40-70%

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Not exactly true...40-70%

Somwhere between 40-70% of the population is going to naturally be obese? Gimme me a break. Human genetics aren't going to evolve that quick for that to actually be true.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there has been a steady increase in the rates of obesity in the United States over the past two decades, rising from 19.4% in 1997, to 24.5% in 2004, 26.6% in 2007, 33.8% in 2008, and 35.7% of adults in 2010." In the 1950s it was about 10%.

We didn't triple our fat people by having their genetics mutate in about 60 years. You don't have to look around very hard to see what has caused the explosion of fat people.

This is literally the exact problem. You're saying genetics and that isn't true. It's due to people eating like shit, not working out and not caring. You can't say you care if you stop by McDonalds every afternoon to shove two Big Macs in your gut. (I knew a guy who literally went to McDonalds every day until he decided to change his life around and eat better/work out) Humans have not evolved to handle the mass amount of sugar/sodium/fat intake that is prevelant in most prepared / fast food. I know some people who probably haven't eaten in a salad in decades.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
@VladDrag @Young Sandwich @PDX Flyer

I did it, I am going to Bandon...pretty sure the wife wants to kill me
5f8.gif

Damn, consider me extremely jealous. Worth every penny.

• Haha
Reactions: VladDrag

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
@Lindberg I wanted to address is that I disagree with your Food Deserts take that it is due to people in those communities stealing. Sure there is stealing occuring, but that happens everywhere. It also is directly tied to Systemic Racism, Low Income, Criminal Justice and a myriad of other problems that keep generations of people in communities that are less likely to have a Wholefoods, Trader Joes, Butcher Shop, Produce Stand, Salad Works/Panera then they are a McDonalds, Chinese Food, 7/11. It's not as black and white as your painting it to be at all. The system is designed to keep these people in those low income communities and no decent resteraunt is going to go to a place where they can't sell a $25 healthy well prepared dinner.

I agree with what you are saying about Big is Beautiful or Healthy or whatever, I agree it's not healthy and should not be presented as such. I just don't necessarily agree with several of the statements your making, blanket covering groups of people, or symptoms of the current state of the world. People are more stressed out, depressed, and have mental health issues then ever before, I know from experience...

Another thing that i forgot to mention in terms of genetics...you also have to consider that young people are growing up seeing this in generations of there families...they learn eating habits from parents, grandparents, siblings, friends in communities...it's almost not a choice when you are learning so young how to eat and develop these habits.

Last edited:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Somwhere between 40-70% of the population is going to naturally be obese? Gimme me a break. Human genetics aren't going to evolve that quick for that to actually be true.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there has been a steady increase in the rates of obesity in the United States over the past two decades, rising from 19.4% in 1997, to 24.5% in 2004, 26.6% in 2007, 33.8% in 2008, and 35.7% of adults in 2010." In the 1950s it was about 10%.

We didn't triple our fat people by having their genetics mutate in about 60 years. You don't have to look around very hard to see what has caused the explosion of fat people.

This is literally the exact problem. You're saying genetics and that isn't true. It's due to people eating like shit, not working out and not caring. You can't say you care if you stop by McDonalds every afternoon to shove two Big Macs in your gut. (I knew a guy who literally went to McDonalds every day until he decided to change his life around and eat better/work out) Humans have not evolved to handle the mass amount of sugar/sodium/fat intake that is prevelant in most prepared / fast food. I know some people who probably haven't eaten in a salad in decades.
Not following your logic....they have identified at least 50 genes because of the advancement of medical science that "predispose" people to obesity. In 60 years what has mutated/devolved has been our for profit dietary standards and our food distribution networks. Not much locally sourced. Back in the day pre and post WWII...until the late 50's or so ..food was more locally sourced. The CDC rates you note have all increased as a result of genetic predispositions being triggered. Has nothing to do with genetic mutations in 60 years time. This is a pseudo-science argument. Yeah our sugar and salt intake has exponentially increased due to the for profit food industry. By no means am I defending people with bad lifestyle habits but there is a lot more to the obesity problem in this country than lazy and glutonous people with poor lifestyle habits chief among them socioeconomic considerations mentioned by others. People need to chill on the social Darwinism but not surprised in our current culture war environment. Having said all this...I still don't bang fat chicks...

Reactions: Danko

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
@Lindberg I wanted to address is that I disagree with your Food Deserts take that it is due to people in those communities stealing. Sure there is stealing occuring, but that happens everywhere. It also is directly tied to Systemic Racism, Low Income, Criminal Justice and a myriad of other problems that keep generations of people in communities that are less likely to have a Wholefoods, Trader Joes, Butcher Shop, Produce Stand, Salad Works/Panera then they are a McDonalds, Chinese Food, 7/11. It's not as black and white as your painting it to be at all. The system is designed to keep these people in those low income communities and no decent resteraunt is going to go to a place where they can't sell a $25 healthy well prepared dinner.

I agree with what you are saying about Big is Beautiful or Healthy or whatever, I agree it's not healthy and should not be presented as such. I just don't necessarily agree with several of the statements your making, blanket covering groups of people, or symptoms of the current state of the world. People are more stressed out, depressed, and have mental health issues then ever before, I know from experience...

Another thing that i forgot to mention in terms of genetics...you also have to consider that young people are growing up seeing this in generations of there families...they learn eating habits from parents, grandparents, siblings, friends in communities...it's almost not a choice when you are learning so young how to eat and develop these habits.

Hopefully you didn't just change your slogan under your name but you do have "I like pork". So there's a bit of irony there.

Companies don't run off being racist. They run off whatever makes them money. Companies are literally changing their business practices to prevent shop lifting, grocery stores don't run off high insane profit margins. It shouldn't come off to anyone as a surprise that poor communities as a whole tend to have more crime so why would a business want to deal with those issues? Somehow McDonalds is catering to low income communities and Panera Bread doesn't. Gimme a break that's why i can't take this nonsense seriously.

People have more mental health issues? People are freaking soft these days. 100 years ago you'd be working in a coal mine, working in a textile factory, etc. People always had problems they just didn't have enough free time to ponder and complain about their problems.

At some point people need to take personal responsibility for their own actions. It's not hard to educate yourself on what a healthy diet is, how to cook healthy meals, and how to buy healthy ingredients. This is all just pandering to people for their poor choices.

It's not hard to set up a few planter boxes and grow some of your own food. That's cheaper than almost anything you can buy.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not sure if I misunderstand the point you're making here, but really, probably 100% (or close) of the human population is genetically programmed for obesity. What's changed is lifestyle. Fat is actually a very efficient (i.e., light weight) way to store energy. A gram of fat stores twice as much energy as a gram of carbohdrate, so if you don't live in a society where there is a 24 hr McDonalds (or whatever) you may need that energy that you've stored up. Our genetic makeup still thinks we're hunters and gatherers, when in reality we're drive-thruers and GrubHub-ers and DoorDash-ers.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Not following your logic....they have identified at least 50 genes because of the advancement of medical science that "predispose" people to obesity. In 60 years what has mutated/devolved has been our for profit dietary standards and our food distribution networks. Not much locally sourced. Back in the day pre and post WWII...until the late 50's or so ..food was more locally sourced. The CDC rates you note have all increased as a result of genetic predispositions being triggered. Has nothing to do with genetic mutations in 60 years time. This is a pseudo-science argument. Yeah our sugar and salt intake has exponentially increased due to the for profit food industry. By no means am I defending people with bad lifestyle habits but there is a lot more to the obesity problem in this country than lazy and glutonous people with poor lifestyle habits chief among them socioeconomic considerations mentioned by others. People need to chill on the social Darwinism but not surprised in our current culture war environment. Having said all this...I still don't bang fat chicks...

Humans have always been predisposed to gaining weight. The difference is the environment in which we operate in has changed. For almost all of human history we've existed in an environment in which food wasn't readily available in such mass quantities. Our bodies haven't adapted to that so the ability to put on weight has always been there.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Humans have always been predisposed to gaining weight. The difference is the environment in which we operate in has changed. For almost all of human history we've existed in an environment in which food wasn't readily available in such mass quantities. Our bodies haven't adapted to that so the ability to put on weight has always been there.
This is the reality. Obesity is a word we invented (like all the other words). It means something to us in the context of our present era of human civilization. Traits that evolved in our ancestors thousands, tens of thousands of years ago aren't as useful now as they were when those ancestors were hunting mammoths or migrating long distances in search of "greener pastures".

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hopefully you didn't just change your slogan under your name but you do have "I like pork". So there's a bit of irony there.

Companies don't run off being racist. They run off whatever makes them money. Companies are literally changing their business practices to prevent shop lifting, grocery stores don't run off high insane profit margins. It shouldn't come off to anyone as a surprise that poor communities as a whole tend to have more crime so why would a business want to deal with those issues? Somehow McDonalds is catering to low income communities and Panera Bread doesn't. Gimme a break that's why i can't take this nonsense seriously.

People have more mental health issues? People are freaking soft these days. 100 years ago you'd be working in a coal mine, working in a textile factory, etc. People always had problems they just didn't have enough free time to ponder and complain about their problems.

At some point people need to take personal responsibility for their own actions. It's not hard to educate yourself on what a healthy diet is, how to cook healthy meals, and how to buy healthy ingredients. This is all just pandering to people for their poor choices.

It's not hard to set up a few planter boxes and grow some of your own food. That's cheaper than almost anything you can buy.

It's not worth arguing with you because your just quoting lazy opinions that aren't fact based. You aren't going to change your mind, even if you are wrong.

What are people stealing in a Panera? Are they stealing Baguettes? What is the average cost of a meal in Panera vs a Dollar Menu? If your working at minimum wage with raising rent, food costs, child care costs, single income home, dependent on government assistance, your likely going to go for the dollar menu every time. Panera/Trader Joes won't go into a community where they aren't going to make money. Lower income markets tend to be racially diverse communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad