• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The is morning’s doggie on a deck installment.

Attachments

• BD106827-0249-4C57-87EE-4B21926290CE.jpeg
    BD106827-0249-4C57-87EE-4B21926290CE.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 2

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

So banks got armed guards and have limited number of entrances. How exactly is that suggestion to 'fortify' schools gonna work if all it takes is one guy with a 'long rifle' to storm a location with armed guard(s) and manage to kill at least 5 people?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

So banks got armed guards and have limited number of entrances. How exactly is that suggestion to 'fortify' schools gonna work if all it takes is one guy with a 'long rifle' to storm a location with armed guard(s) and manage to kill at least 5 people?

Amerika ist wunderbar
We're all living in Amerika
Amerika, Amerika....

Reactions: Tripod

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Kind of! My girlfriend lived there for more than a year and I also lived in Utrecht for a year.

Actually living in the Netherlands again now, albeit not Amsterdam.

Are there any sports-related spots it would be worth to see? I will have quite a few hours to spare on Friday, then Monday in late August.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Gotta keep banning books tho. Banning the Diary of Anne Frank. This country is going backwards.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Just makes no sense. Sorry you guys have to live in that kind of situation

Reactions: BernieParent

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It’s a public school. The book can be bought it cannot be provided by the school in the school library.
Maybe you looked more thoroughly into it than I did... but I looked for a copy of the graphic novel adaption that was in question. I looked through the images and did not find anything of a 'graphic sexual' nature. There was one illustration of a park with statues and some were 'nude', but not done in an exaggerated or sexual nude way. Anyone prior to the last decade and having gone to a museum on a class trip would have seen things much more graphic and explicit.

In terms of the 'text' and diary entries. Those were Anne Frank's own words. Her Father was the lone survivor and after the diary was recovered he published it, but some of those things he himself censored as to protect her 'privacy'... but later in life he said he regretted that and thought it was important to show who she was.

We're talking about a young teenage girl who was in a situation I doubt any of us can even begin to comprehend, but the things she thought about and wondered about were things many other teenagers do. I think showing that is important. I think having others in her age group read and see that and realize they're not 'strange', they're not 'immoral', it's ok. I think that's important.

The group that fought to get the book removed also lied about their reasons. They claimed the graphic novel was fabricating Anne Frank's actual diary, when in fact as I said the original published diary itself was edited and had these things removed. The actual full version of her diary (which is now published and sold) has these passages and this graphic novel presented much word for word while also having a narrative relayed in a comic format.

I find it extremely insulting to think something written by a young teenage girl in the 1940s is somehow 'inappropriate' for teens of the same age today.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
American Theocracy here we come with the radical Supreme Court and other extreme judges out there as the American mullahs. Just missing an Ayatollah and morality police.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Maybe you looked more thoroughly into it than I did... but I looked for a copy of the graphic novel adaption that was in question. I looked through the images and did not find anything of a 'graphic sexual' nature. There was one illustration of a park with statues and some were 'nude', but not done in an exaggerated or sexual nude way. Anyone prior to the last decade and having gone to a museum on a class trip would have seen things much more graphic and explicit.

In terms of the 'text' and diary entries. Those were Anne Frank's own words. Her Father was the lone survivor and after the diary was recovered he published it, but some of those things he himself censored as to protect her 'privacy'... but later in life he said he regretted that and thought it was important to show who she was.

We're talking about a young teenage girl who was in a situation I doubt any of us can even begin to comprehend, but the things she thought about and wondered about were things many other teenagers do. I think showing that is important. I think having others in her age group read and see that and realize they're not 'strange', they're not 'immoral', it's ok. I think that's important.

The group that fought to get the book removed also lied about their reasons. They claimed the graphic novel was fabricating Anne Frank's actual diary, when in fact as I said the original published diary itself was edited and had these things removed. The actual full version of her diary (which is now published and sold) has these passages and this graphic novel presented much word for word while also having a narrative relayed in a comic format.

I find it extremely insulting to think something written by a young teenage girl in the 1940s is somehow 'inappropriate' for teens of the same age today.
I didn’t see the images but I’ve read a snippet of what she wrote. IMO it should not be in a school library by someone under the age where they receive sex education.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Kind of! My girlfriend lived there for more than a year and I also lived in Utrecht for a year.

Actually living in the Netherlands again now, albeit not Amsterdam.

Ah, ok clear. I was wondering whether you know any sports-related spots in Amsterdam worthy a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad