Post-Game Talk: 11/16/17 | VGK 5 @ Canucks 2

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Canucks simply has too much trouble moving the puck out of the zone.

And this is a common occurrence it seems.

Defense:

Edler - was god awful. Literally killed any play early on. Was sleep walking.

Pouliot- moved the puck well I thought, and probably was one of the best D in supporting the offense. But that giveaway in the 3rd was horrible.

Gudbranson- continues to handle the puck like a grenade. I mean he even screws up on a breakout pass when the forward is directly in front of him.
If we want to tank. Pair up Edler-Gudbranson, the Twin Pylons.

Hutton - wasn't horrible, but that lost battle with the empty net shows shows what he needs to work on. Had body position still gave the Vegas forward a path to the net.

Biega-MDZ - were good in comparison to the other pairs. Biega really tried hard to push the pace.

When Tanev/Stecher comes back, Edler and Gudbranson needs to come out.

Still don't like the Horvat/Boeser fit 5-on-5. When you moved Horvat off gave the lines a different look. (Not saying Sutter is a long-term option, he can't pass worth anything)
Long-term Canucks absolutely need to find Boeser a high-end playmaking C.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Edler skates any damn slower he is going to moving backwards.

I remember an interview last season where he says "I don't skate in the offseason"
Well its clearly showing.
Dude is so slow I thought my television was freezing.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's probably OK to have a few slow players on the team but there just too many on the team with the return of edler and Erickson

Reactions: JuniorNelson

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well that was...just...yeah.

D continues to be garbage without Tanev. Del Zotto is our best dman by a mile right now. That's great for him, not that great for the team. Pouliot...hoo boy. The guy Pens fans warned us about showed up tonight. Edler can't shoot, Gudbranson can't defend, Hutton can't escape. Biega's there but remains a classic case of the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Forward lines continue to be garbage aside from the B kids.

Can't blame Marky for any of the goals. Gamely keeping it real but only one guy.

This is a recording.

Reactions: jd22

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Watching this team try to set up on the PP is painful. Typically takes a good 45 seconds before they can establish possession in the offensive zone. Then it's a sloppy pass or an Edler special, get pressured in our own end, get lucky not to take a penalty, dump it in, another easy clear and phew, 2 minutes down.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
These dudes paid lots of money to sit right behind the net... that was never scored on in a seven-goal game.

frontrow_zpsk8aot1si.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The statistic gap between Markstrom and Nilsson is becoming embarrassing .....Based on save-percentage, won-loss record and GAA there's absolutely no way to explain the different in playing time.....reality is the Canucks don't win when Markstrom plays....so I have no idea what Green is trying to prove.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
With all the good stuff I'd been hearing and reading this week about Puliot this week, that finish was so classic Canucks.

I'm curious about how often the Canucks get scored on when they pull the goalie, and how often they don't score into the oppositions empty net.

At least Markstrom didn't give one up in the first 3 minutes tonight though.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Jason Garrison has the highest point total for a defenseman on this team in the last 5 years. No one is on pace to surpass it this year either.

It makes me so mad.

We have had the same f***ing problem since this bozo took over, and despite cycling through a million turds like Sbisa, Bartkowski, Larsen, etc. we still have the same goddamn problem. Except it is even worse now because Edler is old and Gudbranson is just a joke.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks have taken nights off against weaker teams for years. It's interesting to speculate where this is coming from? Hmm. Who do the players take their cues from?

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That was hard to watch. The Canucks are utterly incapable of out skating or outworking teams on a regular basis.

report card
C+
Bo Horvat - had a goal and lugged Vanek and Gagner around the ice. struggled in his own zone.
Brock Boeser - nice snipe and made some high end play's. Has fallen off.
Sven Baertschi - Looked like the only one flying early on. Thought he was decent.
Brandon Sutter - Lacking vision but he was skating well and backing people off. Nice play to get his breakaway.
Ben Hutton - The only defenseman that looked like he could skate through a check. Gotta replace Edler with Hutton on the PP.
C
Erik Gudbranson - Struggled late in the game and got badly stripped by Neal but was one of the few defenseman able to close something out and moving the puck quicker the last few games.
Sam Gagner- was working hard and doing things with pace. rubbed out so easily
Michael Del Zotto - pretty quiet game was trying to get up ice later his partner was an adventure.
C-
The Sedin's - just so slow and losing most battles and the hands are even faltering
Thomas Vanek - made a few quality plays, nice net drive on the goal, but was poor defensively and just coasts around.
Derrick Pouliot - Shame that he ended his night the way he did because most of the night he was making Edler and the Sedin's line actually relevant
Gaunce and Dorsett - games like this expose the lack of talent these 2 have. Decent in a role but when asked to do a little more and actually create they look brutal.
Jacob Markstrom- poor game.
Alex Biega - Hot mess the last few games. The effort is there but he's fighting it
D
Markus Granlund - Does he still play for us.
Loui Eriksson - That's a 6 million dollar effort folks....what a joke. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough...what happened to this guy?
Alex Edler - Can't trade this guy fast enough. What a slug and what a mess. Refuses to try hard enough to actually make a good play instead of some sloppy stiff garbage play putting others in a bad spot. I'm so sick of his crap right now.

Side note: watching this lifeless plodding team float through games like this make me want to vomit when i hear that Virtanen is sitting because he needs to apparently finish his checks and be more engaged. What a double standard and why would you actually dress a guy with game breaking speed? Oh well top 10 pick here we come

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
A playmaker for Brock, would that be Pettersson next year?

Heh, Saturday the Blues will absolutely DESTROY us.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What dreary game. Team was clearly not emotionally up for this or anything else. Outside of a little push in the late part of the second period, Vegas was flat out the better team on the night and may just be the better team

Good

Horvat - is really all we've got, outside of Boeser, that is superior NHL talent. Boeser was good at times as well. Rest of the forwards were no better, I thought, than mediocre.

Not Good

None of the defensemen played well. Worst of the lot was Edler who was frequently hopeless. If he is not healthy (and maybe this is being kind to him ) then he should not play. Just sloth -like in his movement and handling of the puck. I'd say the worse I've ever seen him. Pouliot got exposed as well. So did Guddy and Hutton again was largely ineffective. Del Zotto was maybe the best but he got running around in his own end and way out of position sometimes. Loss of Tanev is now evident.

Granlund - after a good pre-season and decent start to the season this player has tanked. He is getting nothing done and looks mostly disinterested. If anyone should sit it is him. Only consolation here (and it's a small one) is that Shinkaruk continues to do little in the AHL.

Dorsett - worse game of the season. Looked out of gas in this game.

Sedins - play in their own end was very poor and they did nothing to compensate elsewhere. Can't string good games together anymore it appears.

Others

Gaunce - actually got some chances but showed, once again, little ability to finish. Think he worked the puck fairly well along the boards in the offensive end but dropped his head while doing so and couldn't spot anyone open for a pass. I'd say he looks a little less clumsy and might be ok in a 4th line checking role. But players like that are dime a dozen.

Eriksson - thought he was trying. But he does not seem to have the speed that he once had from the blue line in. Had some concussion issues and sometimes that effects your reflects over the long haul and your ability to generate speed. Kind of the same situation with Booth. Sad in a way, but also sad is his long term contract with us.

Hopefully Virtanen comes back and as far as I'm concerned they can sit any of Granlund, Eriksson, Gagner, Gaunce (although he may be the least deserving) and even Dan Sedin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A playmaker for Brock, would that be Pettersson next year?
Long term, yes. Next season? Hmm.. wouldn't bet on it. Hope for it, but not betting. 167 lbs. See if he is capable of handling the grind of the season.

Not really a lot of long term answers on D from within. In the past 9 drafts (Gillis and Benning), since 2008, there have been 5 players selected in the first 3 rounds. Sauve in 2008 Rd 2, KConn in 2009 Rd 3, Tryamkin in 2014 Rd 3, Brisebois in 2015 Rd 3, and Juolevi 2016 in Rd 1.

Are we really banking on McEneny and Chatfield, a pair of undrafted guys, along with Subban?

Gudbranson, the team will drop out of the playoff race, so it should be clear to management to unload him well before the TDL.
Edler, he has a full NTC. Earliest he gets moved is at the draft. It's about contract. At the draft, he's 1 week away from being able to sign an extension which is what he will want before he leaves. Deal would have to be agreed to in principle before he waives his NTC.
If they deal Tanev, they need a young Dman in return. Like, if TB calls for him, have to ask for Callen Foote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad