GDT: 11/11/13 - 1:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Boston

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Welp, had to work all day. Come home to the DVR of the game and stopped watching when Stamkos broke his leg. Knew it the instant I saw it and read his lips while he was on the ice.

Felt sick to my stomach, deleted the rest of the game from the DVR. Come here to find out that Salo is probably out for a month as well.

Not too many teams have to figure out how to replace 100+ point players in their roster, particularly ones who've developed their game to be a 200' game. Bylsma had Malkin. Don't know what Cooper and the Bolts have.

Should prove "interesting".

Martin St. Louis.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I just want to say I blame Butchered for Stamkos getting hurt. That's what we get for him bumping the Tampa tops in the standings thread on the main board. :sarcasm:

:cry:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Everybody on the main boards has already written the Lightning off. **** that noise. This is a playoff team now and they can stay one.

It will be alot harder and you will never adequately replace Stammer for the entire time he's out, but playoffs can be accomplished. It starts tomorrow in Montreal.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Everybody on the main boards has already written the Lightning off. **** that noise. This is a playoff team now and they can stay one.

It will be alot harder and you will never adequately replace Stammer for the entire time he's out, but playoffs can be accomplished. It starts tomorrow in Montreal.

Indeed.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK
We were right in this game until the injury. That would disrupt any teams concentration. Lindback was solid today, Johnson was flying out there and embraced the extra minutes in #91's absence. We'll see how good this squad is now.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Anybody who thinks this team is just gonna roll over and die now has no idea who Cooper is and how his teams work. If anything I think this will be a catalyst to motivate the effort to be kicked up a notch.

I still expect playoffs whether as division leader or a wild card. This team is legit and we have the talent for multiple players to make up for the lost offense.

It absolutely sucks, but I think we can do it.

I understand the slight implosion after that injury today. Tomorrow is another day and will show the resolve this team really has. Go and take it to the Habs and get 4 out of 6 PTs on this trip.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Anybody who thinks this team is just gonna roll over and die now has no idea who Cooper is and how his teams work. If anything I think this will be a catalyst to motivate the effort to be kicked up a notch.

I still expect playoffs whether as division leader or a wild card. This team is legit and we have the talent for multiple players to make up for the lost offense.

It absolutely sucks, but I think we can do it.

I understand the slight implosion after that injury today. Tomorrow is another day and will show the resolve this team really has. Go and take it to the Habs and get 4 out of 6 PTs on this trip.

So much this. This team, honestly, I've never truly seen quit. Even the Boucher days, you could tell they didn't want to lose, and they gave effort. I've never been a fan of the "tank" philosophy. You play to win. Cooper likes nothing more than winning. He'll rally everyone. I have faith in him, and Marty. The leadership will be what carries this team of rookies now. Do we roll over? Or do we accept the challenge and overcome the odds?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm with you guys. I wasn't giving this team a chance before the season started and I was wrong. I think this team can still win games without Stamkos. There is enough firepower all the way around. It's gonna take a team effort and lots of guys are gonna have to step up but I think they can and I think they will. Lets go Lightning! :handclap:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Missing these guys for as long as we will (hope Salo is back very soon, same with Aulie) will affect us but it will not cause us to hit rock bottom. This team can and will continue to step up the way they have so far.

I will continue to post my Panik posts but the reality is I have great faith in this team to make the playoffs even with out stammer for a extended period.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This team is not tanking I dont see it. Too many moves can still be made if needed.

WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON FROM SECOND PERIOD ON.

WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON AFTER STAMKOS BROKE HIS LEG.

WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON AFTER SALO GOT INJURED.

The stats are there to look at. We got enough heart on this team. We might need to adjust and go grab someone who is UFA next year for top d man if salo is out a month but is some options out there honestly.

Most already agreed we need to plan ahead and move a piece or pieces to get that D better for the future. One guy shut down RH preferably who can score at a decent clip.

I know that is out there if needed. Am hoping gudas can step up dont want carle as two. I would move up sustr with carle see how that works. We need aulie honestly and hope that is a short injury.

We have heart though we showed it maybe didnt beat rask but we outplayed boston.

We shoulda won but dont blame this team whatsoever. I am surprised they didnt fall apart and get dominated.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Not really...

we had more shots on goal more scoring chances etc.. we held the puck in their end etc.. We out played them.

We were outshot 12-4 in first period. We got that up to 12-9. Before stamkos went down I believe was 15-9. Might have been 16.

We wound up 28-26 in shots. We out played them aulie was bad on the one play but the puck did jump over his stick so will not give him crap. Lindback did a poke or puck check and missed.

Panik was everywhere flip set up a ton of things marty set up some stuff.

Rask as always played out of his dammed mind.

Will also say ref's did us no favors.

Hamilton push was what it is happens every game honestly. Just unfortunate but the trips? Marchand kicked at lindback in net. They play cheaply and get away with it a lot. I feel we held our own with losing the number one guy in hockey and two defenders I am impressed with that. I really didnt see them play like they did in the first for more than 20 second after stamkos injury. We were quicker. Yes they are tougher. We were in it honestly just needed some eyes with the pucks which didnt happen. We played well enough to win this game.

I cannot say that the last two times we played them. Was honestly pretty much like first period entire games. If we can continue to play like that we can compete with everyone!!

Lindback was much much much better. And deserving as a legit option to be the back up goalie to me for the first time this year. He is going to let a couple in against and elite team. He will never shut down a team like this:) Not in my opinion but dont think bishop can do that either:)

So we have a lot to be happy about. I am worried on D. I am not worried that we can score or keep up with anyone in this league even without stamkos.

I want to say something. A line I guess that keeps running through my head a voice.

From lord of the rings lol.

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY REPLACE STEVEN STAMKOS. I dont know who else can hear those words? The iron gates or whatever that line is lol.

The shock is still there but this season is in no way shape or form lost. This team is the real deal and we will find that out:)

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
don't even know what to say right now

i feel like i just scored the hottest chick ever, took her home, and found out she has a ****

that's how dissapointed i am.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We definitely still got outplayed. Bruins potted two within like a minute. We were starting to get things going in the O zone, then Stammer went down and everyone just deflated. You could see it. Bruins won. Rask is probably the best goalie in the league. Nothing wrong with it. After an injury like that to your best player, I'd expect the players heads to be somewhere else.

I'm just hoping our guys will step up. We lost our best player, but that just means the spot is up for grabs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This team is not tanking I dont see it. Too many moves can still be made if needed.

WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON FROM SECOND PERIOD ON.

WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON AFTER STAMKOS BROKE HIS LEG.
WE OUTPLAYED BOSTON AFTER SALO GOT INJURED.

The stats are there to look at. We got enough heart on this team. We might need to adjust and go grab someone who is UFA next year for top d man if salo is out a month but is some options out there honestly.

Oh we most certainly did not. Our PP was completely deflated the entire game, I was expecting a shorty or 2 with the mess that was going on.

We had a couple lousy perimiter shots, and almost zero zone pressure. Bruins cycled well through our zone and Lindback did a pretty good job today.

As I've said before, our system and players simply cannot match the Bruins, they could be on a 10 game losing streak going into the game and I'd still bet money on them.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
stats dont agree. we were dominated the first and was uglier than the stats show.

They got lucky two goals we had people at net we had shots rask is just that good.

We actually out hit and out shot them after stamkos went down. Flip owned the puck we have waves going at times of scoring chances and shots. No seeing eye pucks though:)

So I honestly felt we had best showing ive seen against boston since 2011-2012.

Makes me a lot happier on the rest of season. The doubled our hits and blocks in first period. We did not get a huge amount of blocks for the game. We almost caught them on hits and they destroyed us in first.

They got a couple goals which feel had some very bad luck involved myself.

It happens we finally matched up well.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As a Lightning fan, can we please refrain from who gets called up until this game is over? Speculation at this point just bugs me.

Let's get through this game, then crawl into our various liquor bottles until Stamkos comes back.

Sad moment in Bolts history and hockey in general . . . That said, this was one of the funniest posts I've ever read for some reason.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Boston is just a tremendous team. They always found a way to clog up shooting and passing lanes and to deny zone entries. Sticks and bodies everywhere. We had 7 giveaways (they had 4), they had 8 takeaways (we had 6), they blocked 14 shots (we blocked 5) and, well, they killed all four penalties and let only 2 shots on goal while being shorthanded for 8 minutes.

That said, we were not as bad as one would've expected: Shots 28-26, faceoffs 27-27, hits 25-31. The injury to Stamkos (and to a lesser extend Salo's injury) just broke us though. I think Cooper should've used his timeout after the 1st goal as it was obvious that the team wasn't focused on the game after Stamkos was stretchered off the ice.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Boston is just a tremendous team. They always found a way to clog up shooting and passing lanes and to deny zone entries. Sticks and bodies everywhere. We had 7 giveaways (they had 4), they had 8 takeaways (we had 6), they blocked 14 shots (we blocked 5) and, well, they killed all four penalties and let only 2 shots on goal while being shorthanded for 8 minutes.

That said, we were not as bad as one would've expected: Shots 28-26, faceoffs 27-27, hits 25-31. The injury to Stamkos (and to a lesser extend Salo's injury) just broke us though. I think Cooper should've used his timeout after the 1st goal as it was obvious that the team wasn't focused on the game after Stamkos was stretchered off the ice.

Good point on the timeout. There was a 5-6 minute stretch where the team was just in shock, and in that time, the Bruins scored twice. Other than the first period and that period of shock, we did outplay the Bruins, which is a positive sign. But even while outplaying them, they kept us somewhat neutralized, which was frustrating. But most of our heads were elsewhere, honestly. The game seemed very insignificant all of a sudden.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Good point on the timeout. There was a 5-6 minute stretch where the team was just in shock, and in that time, the Bruins scored twice. Other than the first period and that period of shock, we did outplay the Bruins, which is a positive sign. But even while outplaying them, they kept us somewhat neutralized, which was frustrating. But most of our heads were elsewhere, honestly. The game seemed very insignificant all of a sudden.

Completely understandable at the time, however a part of me did wish that they could've rallied up in that game though, or at least someone whether it be Cooper, MSL, Thompson or any leader on the team try and light a fire under the team. Instead they kind of all sat in sorrow for the rest of the 1st period and completely gave up in the last half of the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad