10th annual "Official Habs Board Mock Draft" 2016 edition (Part 2) - COMPLETE!

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
:habs

Final Draft Re-cap:

(9) Jakob Chychrun, LD
(39) Jordan Kyrou, C
(45) Adam Mascherin, LW
(69) Vladimir Kuznetsov, RW
(99) David Bernhardt, LD
(123) Alan Lizardchick, LW
(159) Vojtech Budik, LD

Didn't get some of the players I coveted most early on, didn't really stack as many centres or right wingers as I had intended, but I still like the group. Some will serve me well in the +/- department on draft day, others won't, but I like the next level potential of all of them.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Posting very quickly from work, will pretty the post up later.

Colorado selects defenseman Matthew Cairns. Heading to Cornell next season but IMO he should be playing for the Petes. I like his upside.

Can someone please PM the next GM for me?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Final Draft Re-cap:

(9) Jakob Chychrun, LD
(39) Jordan Kyrou, C
(45) Adam Mascherin, LW
(99) David Bernhardt, LD
(159) Vojtech Budik, LD

Didn't get some of the players I coveted most early on, didn't really stack as many centres or right wingers as I had intended, but I still like the group. Some will serve me well in the +/- department on draft day, others won't, but I like the next level potential of all of them.

I have to say.....I love Dineen who I chose at 38. But I could probably regret it a lot to have given you Kyrou at 39.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Posting very quickly from work, will pretty the post up later.

Colorado selects defenseman Matthew Cairns. Heading to Cornell next season but IMO he should be playing for the Petes. I like his upside.

Can someone please PM the next GM for me?

Good pick. And I PM'ed Petry Dish.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks. You are right though, I think I have good depth...but at the game of actual draft vs my draft...I'll have some problems. I'm sure Gambrell won't be picked there. Could probably fall 2 rounds pass my pick. But he's a prospect I would have picked the year before towards the end and I loved how he developed this year. But as an overager, it probably won't be good enough. Dineen is a wildcard for me. I love him so much as I think he is amongst the ones that improved the most as the year pass by....so that's why I went early with him....but it will probably not be enough for that to happen in the real life. I guess I should expect Gambrell in the 4th-5th round.....and Dineen late 2nd?

You're spot on with where Gambrell will likely go, though with his skills someone may take a gamble on him in the third..great hands and smart. Dineen is one of the smartest offensive dmen in the draft..you have to like his passing skills, and he's good with the puck. It's without the puck that there are concerns..undersized, not very aggressive, mobility isn't great for his size. I think he could go anywhere from late 2nd to the 4th..but all it takes is one team to like him...he can help a power play if he makes it.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto

Final Draft Re-cap:

(9) Jakob Chychrun, LD
(39) Jordan Kyrou, C
(45) Adam Mascherin, LW
(99) David Bernhardt, LD
(159) Vojtech Budik, LD

Would be very frustrated with that draft haul. Based on nothing but pure irrational hatred, I hate Chychrun. Reminds me of Phaneuf...and I hate that guy. Hate the pick even more because you passed on Jost and Big Bad Leroy Brown.
If it is a D I want Sergachev.

I would want Grundstrom and Cam Morrison in the second if we pick a D in the first.
Lindgren and Niemelainen if we pick a F.

Later round picks seem promising but what's with picking a guy with a name no one can spell or pronounce? Even more frustrating!

There, the annual vent is over. Sorry but that's the burden you bear for picking for the Habs in the mock draft.:)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Would be very frustrated with that draft haul. Based on nothing but pure irrational hatred, I hate Chychrun. Reminds me of Phaneuf...and I hate that guy. Hate the pick even more because you passed on Jost and Big Bad Leroy Brown.

I would want Grundstrom and Cam Morrison in the second if we pick a D in the first.

Later round picks seem promising but what's with picking a guy with a name no one can spell or pronounce? Even more frustrating!

There, the annual vent is over. Sorry but that's the burden you bear for picking for the Habs in the mock draft.:)

I completely disagree. I'd be quite happy with that draft and I've let Ohashi know before.

Your hate for Chychrun is perplexing. The thing with players of that ilk is that people try to look for anything wrong with them. When you're labelled as the next great player and projected to be a top pick in your draft year since 15/16, people will find reasons to dislike you. They will pounce on every little mistake they see while glorifying the challenger to your position (Juolevi, Sergachev). Meanwhile Jakob has done nothing but play great for Sarnia. I mean the Habs have a desperate need for a) LD b) big players c) puck moving defenceman. He fits each category.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I normally wait til the entire draft is done to post what I would have done in their position. I've liked some of Ohashis picks but there are some spots I would have chosen differently.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I completely disagree. I'd be quite happy with that draft and I've let Ohashi know before.

Your hate for Chychrun is perplexing. The thing with players of that ilk is that people try to look for anything wrong with them. When you're labelled as the next great player and projected to be a top pick in your draft year since 15/16, people will find reasons to dislike you. They will pounce on every little mistake they see while glorifying the challenger to your position (Juolevi, Sergachev). Meanwhile Jakob has done nothing but play great for Sarnia. I mean the Habs have a desperate need for a) LD b) big players c) puck moving defenceman. He fits each category.

His so-called "hate" of Chychrun is not unique. Chychrun struggled the last few months of the season..his game did not improve this season. There are serious concerns with his hockey sense...piles of mistakes and giveaways...and poor reads. He doesn't have especially good puck skills and his vision is just okay. He is considered by most scouts to be the biggest dropper in the rankings..once thought to be a top 3 consideration..there are teams that quite likely won't have him in their top 14...not because he's a terrible prospect..but because the top 15 is quite deep...and others have passed him. Good athlete..good one-one-one defender..good size/skating combo...hard shot, good character...but the concerns are there.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Needless to say, I don't share your hatred for Chychrun. Sergachev followed by Jost was my original 1-2 "hit list", based mostly on our "needs" and how I expected the draft to go, but I'm pretty comfortable with Chychrun instead right now. Brown just wasn't in the cards, as I don't think as highly of him as any of those other 3.

I'll give you Morrison. Could have picked him instead of Mascherin, and I thought about it. But after taking a D with the first pick, the best available centre with an offensive skill set was the top priority for 39th overall, and I thought that was Kyrou. Wanted Grundstrom, too, but he was gone before my next pick, and I couldn't leave Mascherin on the board hoping he'd still be there in the 3rd. And I don't particularly care about Captain America Ryan Lindgren, nor the vanilla big man, Niemelainen (who I MAY have considered in round 3+).

He's pretty good, bro.

Fair enough. To be expected. Didn't get some of my first choices, tried not to be a slave to the CS rankings (I've done enough homework that I shouldn't have to be), and didn't make all the sexy picks, so there's plenty of room for discussion/criticism.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
It's a tough job picking for the Habs...but i DO envy you!

Especially as our Commissioner is talking about retiring and who knows how well run it will be next year.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'm in the same boat as CS...this is my last pick..so why not go with a later BD...

With the 163rd pick Carolina selects Victoria Royals winger Jack Walker.

jack-walker-of-the-victoria-royals-skates-during-warmups-prior-to-picture-id468519021

The speedy, highly skilled winger continued his marked improvement this season, garnering 84 points before enjoying a superb playoff run with Victoria, with 8 goals and 8 assists in 13 games. He was arguably the best player through two rounds of the WHL playoffs. He should step right into the AHL next season given his skillset.

Final draft bounty:

13 McLeod
23 Tufte
43 Katchouk
52 Fox
66 Day
73 Allison
74 Filipe
103 Parsons
133 Lockwood
163 Walker

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm in the same boat as CS...this is my last pick..so why not go with a later BD...

With the 163rd pick Carolina selects Victoria Royals winger Jack Walker.

jack-walker-of-the-victoria-royals-skates-during-warmups-prior-to-picture-id468519021

The speedy, highly skilled winger continued his marked improvement this season, garnering 84 points before enjoying a superb playoff run with Victoria, with 8 goals and 8 assists in 13 games. He was arguably the best player through two rounds of the WHL playoffs. He should step right into the AHL next season given his skillset.

Final draft bounty:

13 McLeod
23 Tufte
43 Katchouk
52 Fox
66 Day
73 Allison
74 Filipe
103 Parsons
133 Lockwood
163 Walker

As I said before. Awesome draft. The depth from 43 to 74 is impressive. And tell me you just didn't pick Walker....I was certain he was going to last.....:cry:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
:sens 2016 draft:
12 - D, Mikhail Sergachev
42 - LW, Carl Grundström
81 - D, Jacob Cederholm
102 - LW, Eetu Tuulola
132 - C/W, Mikhail Maltsev
162 - C/W, Tanner Laczynski

Don Cherry rates this draft...

3c9c68dd122f85e3db154774d73b4bc9.jpg

"Then you got Ottawa over here, not drafting any Canadians. It's a disgrace. I wore this Canadian tie right over here to remind everyone that we, as Canadians, should feel proud to draft our own. It's just. No. GOOD! You see their first round pick Mikhell Serchevgood, a Russian, when they had so many good ol' Canadian boys! They take a bunch of Swedes in Grandstorm and SherlockHolm, which SherlockHolm is okay, but he's no Bobby Orr... Moving on, Eat Too Granola, I think I had that for breakfast and Mikhell... ANOTHER Mikhell Maltsev, what is that, some kind of Russian drink!? Shameful! The finish it off with an American, Tanner Lac... I'm not gonna TRY to pronounce that one. My question to you folks is... Where. Is. All. The. CANADIANS!? This is why the Ottawa Senators are going nowhere, quick!" *Thumbs up*

Good job CS. :laugh: It's exactly how he would have said it.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Can't wait to pick! Highly debating between two guys. Hopefully both are still there because I also pick at 123 haha. Have to decide which one is more likely to be gone.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
:bruins

The Boston Boons are happy to select, Tim Wahlgren!

458615294-tim-wahlgren-of-sweden-moves-the-puck-gettyimages.jpg

1 (14): Logan Brown
2 (32): Libor Hajek
2 (51): Janne Kuokkanen
5 (134): Tarmo Reunanen
5 (135): Filip Berglund
6 (164): Tim Wahlgren
7 (194):

PM'ing next GM

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway