Votes: 10 14.5%
  • F - not a fan

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
IN - Conference finals, Guy Boucher, Matt Duchene, Derick Brassard, Mike Condon, and lots of other tinkering.

OUT - Turris, Zibenejed, lots of draft picks and of course Alex Chiasson

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I give him an A because he has improved the team, picked a good choice for coach that actually had NHL experience, and isn't favourite to go after what he wants.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He chose Boucher so full marks there. Having said that it seems most of his moves have been at the request of Boucher. His execution of those moves has been less than impressive. (So it's kind of complicated)
Resulting in better team but less than ideal situation. Still overall improvement so positive marks.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I loved the Boucher hire, and the Condon trade was huge last year. That said, I don't care for the Zibanejad trade (Brass is great though), hated the Burrows trade, and didn't care much for the early Anderson extension. Jury is still out on the Duchene deal too.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed but it's still very possible that the moves I disliked work out just fine. Somewhere between a B and C for me. Could be as high as an A a year and a half from now if things go well though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
A+ without a doubt. Every one of his moves have been spot on. He's not afraid to pull the trigger to make the team better. He singlehandedly saved the season last year by being aggressive to get Condon after Anderson left the team. On top of making the team better, our prospect pool is healthier that it's ever been. When's the last time we had this many solid prospects? Absolutely insane that we stole Formenton and Batherson deeper in the draft last year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Only Including Long term pieces traded.

IN

- Matt Duchene
- Derick Brassard
- Alex Burrows
- Mike Condon
- 2016 1st Round Pick ( Logan Brown)
- 2017 2nd Round Pick( Alex Formenton)

Out.....

Mika Zibanejad
Kyle Turris
Johnathan Dahlen (Shake my f***ing head)
Shane Bowers
Shane Prince/2016 3rd Rounder
Curtis Lazar
Marc Methot (Expansion , however options where there)
2016 1st Round Pick (Mcleod)
2018 1st Round Pick (top 10 protected)
2018 2nd Round pick
2019 3rd Round pick
2017 5th Round Pick
Andrew Hammond

BTW Dahlen is leading his league in points per game.

Lets take our homer glasses off for just a second Brown, White and Chabot are not guarantees if only 1 of those three become legitimate threats in the NHL (top 2 D for Chabot, top centre for white or brown ) the sens are hurting bad for the future.

Contracts.

Mark Borowiecki - 1.2M X 2
Craig Anderson - 4.75M X 2
Johnny Oduya - 2.25M X 1
Jean-Gabriel-Pageau - 3.1M X 3 ( keep in my mind all three years are RFA years and this contract takes hims straight to UFA)
Nate Thompson - 1.65 X 2
Zack Smith - 3.25X X 4 ( Zack Smith has 1 goal in his last 40 regular season games)
Mike Hoffman 5.2M X 4 (probably the only contract you can not argue on with PD)
Alexandre Burrows 2.5M X 2 (Insult to injury after trading away Dahlen)

If the sens win a cup everything is all good. If in 3 years there is nothing to show for by losing all the futures and we lose key players FA (Karlsson, Duchene) PD can go down as one of the worst GMs of all time.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He has balls to make big moves and not just live with status quo and that is a quality i really like in a gm as long as its not utter stupidity like Mike Milbury.

I know most dont seem to but i like his personality and the way he deals with media.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

2nd tier Swedish league with 15pts... Give your head a shake bud...

Give up, he's not going to become anything. He has a long long long way to go before he helps an NHL as much as Burrows has helped us in the past year.

Reactions: Gesus

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I’m still pissed at him for picking Redden over Chara but hopefully he can turn it around- some of the moves have been ok

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
a good gm doesnt make moves like bowers, burrows, boro , mccormick 1 way next year,

not even going to get into trading a 23 year old (and a 2nd lmao) for a less talented 29 year old player

its a no from me.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
a good gm doesnt make moves like bowers, burrows, boro , mccormick 1 way next year,

not even going to get into trading a 23 year old (and a 2nd lmao) for a less talented 29 year old player

its a no from me.

People realize McCormmick on a 1 way next season only means he will make 450k more than he did this season, right? I’ve seen people talk about as if it’s a big issue, I don’t understand.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

so as a euro....wouldn't Dahlen be AHL eligible if he didn't make Vancouver? so he went back to Europe. Why?

Better development I suppose. But if he was improving wouldn't he have made the jump to the Swedish Elite League?
Yes he is leading his tier II league in scoring which means f*** all. Last year on these boards he was being compared to Elias Peterson who was drafted 5th by the Canucks. I guess the comparison was because they were teammates and their teams leading scorers. Well Petterson is leading the SEL this year. he's a prospect. Dahlen is still playing the same level as last year.

With Dahlen if we're going to lament this trade can we at least wait until Dahlen looks like he is making progress

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

its a no from me.

Excluding McCormick, yes, that's what good GMs do. Bad GMs do the opposite. Are you suggesting Dorion should be a bad GM?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
were a budget team and McCormick isnt worth a one way

It’s really a non issue. Y'all make the biggest deal out of the smallest details. It's not like they are handing out one-way contract after one-way contract. They offered it to one player who was a UFA in an attempt to keep him around because they believe he can be useful to the minor league team. That extra 450K (maximum) isn't gonna stop any moves.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
B

Overpaying on a few trades is a bad habit to get into. Looking past what people think of guys we moved, the question is - could those players have brought in a bigger piece(s)...and the answer is yes. Long-term, constant over payments will drain the well dry.

Bringing in Boucher...looks like a decent move so far, but he is also giving Boucher too much control. A truly good coach in the NHL has the ability to be flexible and work with the players he has, without the need to overhaul half the roster or try to fit square pegs into round holes. Dorion needs to pull the reigns back on Guy a bit...organizational structure is important. Letting the coach completely run the show will kill us down the road when we have a new coach in the future (all coaches are hired to be fired, after all) and the team that's left behind ends up a dysfunctional mess because of The System.

All that said, I like Dorion trying to set up the same structure/system here and in Belleville. We need consistency between both teams both for development, and to help Ottawa when we need bodies in an emergency. I like that he is aggressive to try and go for what he wants. Being able to say goodbye to someone like Neil, even when it's against the wishes of many fans...that is needed down the road. Making hard decisions. While his press conferences are somewhat cringeworthy at times, he does bring the same humanity and feeling that Murray did - he wears his heart on his sleeve and shows the Sens are more than a business. We need to keep that human side in the organization.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Dorion has been aggressive about who to drop and who to re-sign, who to trade and who to get in return but I'm not sure how much Boucher has influenced the selections. I believe the two are tied together. I could give Dorion an A- for effort but a real score of B since I want to wait and see where it takes us.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I gave him the only F grade. I don't like his trades and I don't like how much power Guy Boucher has over him in his decision making. The GM is the coach's boss and should act accordingly. Obviously the coach and GM need to have a relationship where they can make requests of each other but I feel its very one way.

But I could bump him all the way up to an A grade based on what happens over the next 2 years. The Stone and Karlsson contracts will be the biggest moves of his career and will probably define his tenure here. So fingers crossed.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Between a B and a C. Not a fan of many of his moves and contracts, but we'll see how far we go.

Next summer will determine a lot. Stone up for extension and Karlsson, Duchene, and Brassard negotiations start.

The current goaltending situation also has the potential to blow up in his face. The Anderson extension was premature.

Many of his moves are risky. Not many I feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: inthewings

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
IN - Conference finals, Guy Boucher, Matt Duchene, Derick Brassard, Mike Condon, and lots of other tinkering.

OUT - Turris, Zibenejed, lots of draft picks and of course Alex Chiasson

he wont get a better vote than after 100 games unfortunately. We have no draft picks. I am not going to pretend he didnt make the team better but getting destroyed from a value perspecitve to do so isnt an accomplishment. He hired a great coach no doubt but Turris is the first to want out, how many more after?

Reactions: Icelevel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I gave him the only F grade. I don't like his trades and I don't like how much power Guy Boucher has over him in his decision making. The GM is the coach's boss and should act accordingly. Obviously the coach and GM need to have a relationship where they can make requests of each other but I feel its very one way.

But I could bump him all the way up to an A grade based on what happens over the next 2 years. The Stone and Karlsson contracts will be the biggest moves of his career and will probably define his tenure here. So fingers crossed.
Best post I have read in a long time. Well done.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Best post I have read in a long time. Well done.

I thought that post was full of unvalidated perception.

I don't agree that Boucher has power over PD. They have a relationship and an understanding of one another's role but that doesn't mean the subordinate has power over the boss.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I also find it a strange perception that has become conventional wisdom for some around here that Boucher has power over Dorion to the detriment of the club. That seems to me a pretty speculative leap of logic. Dorion hired Boucher because they see things so much alike, and work so well together. And the fact that our GM values our coaches input so much is a fantastic sign that our management team is all pulling in the same direction. And its not like bringing in guys that Boucher vouched for like Pyatt were bad moves, it was a great move.

I was wrong about Sakic, he definitely did manage to create a bidding war for Duchene. There are apparently several upset teams now that they didn’t offer up enough to win the Duchene sweepstakes. Dorion won it by finding the right price to win, and it was one we could afford to do that others couldnt.

This idea that we can build a team by never overpaying anyone, all trades are fleecings for us, and we never need to trade a away a draft pick, if that is your bar for a good GM then I give your expectations an F.

And saying we have drained our prospect pool- what nonsense. Some prospects we will develop, some we will convert into other needs. That is good usage of prospects. Hoarding them all out of fear that one might become good 5 years from now is the bad usage of prospects imo. Especially given where we are in the development life cycle

Its hard to find and obtain good players. You need to have developed enough prospects and players usually to allow you to overpay to get them. That is good GM'ing to me. Taking risks is good. Muckler sitting on his hands over fear of overpaying was the bad GM'ing.

If we were a cap team, the complaints about overpaying a McCormick would be even worse. So suggesting it is bad cause we are allegedly a budget team, a term i also disagree with, seems more a convenient complaint than substantive.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
A "B".
Signing Burrows to two years was a little edgy, not a fan.
Signing backup goalies long-term...we'll just end up trying to move Condon as we did Hammond, not a fan.
Turris for Duchene, get why he did it, more cost certainty but the jury is still out on Duchene. If he performs at a 65-75 level it's fine, but if he regresses to a 45-55 then it's basically a faster Turris who needs more money in a few years.
Letting Methot go instead of Ceci to Vegas...that could have gone better.

Overall a lot of moves that seem to be about putting more butts in the seats and creating a buzz for winning now rather than worrying about the future five years from now. I do give credit to him for sending White and Chabot down, and he did finally rid us of Mr. Smiley Lazar, thank goodness. That alone gives you a high "B".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad