GDT: 10/24/13 - Carolina @ Minnesota - 7:00 PM CDT - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Ya. I find it really strange he limped around for a minute after getting hit in the back of the leg where there isn't protection by a 90 mph slap shot. Somethings fishy. Must have been faking.

Lol, I admit that sounded really dumb :laugh:

But he got better really really really fast.. I wish our guys could do that :)

J22*

I never said any of the first part so completely omit that from your argument. And that stick that was in front of Parise's before he was wrapped up was just a figment of my imagination. Gotcha

Wait, so he wasnt "wrapped up"? but now there's a stick? Oh, the stick thats about 3 feet off the ice when the puck goes through the crease?

Somehow I get the feeling that if the roles were reversed nobody would be blaming Parise for making a pass like that.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Ya. I find it really strange he limped around for a minute after getting hit in the back of the leg where there isn't protection by a 90 mph slap shot. Somethings fishy. Must have been faking.

He was playing the long con. Limp around, giving the other team 2 minutes in your own zone, only to be able to play later!

Don't ask me what it accomplished.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm guessing he was exhausted from playing a two minute shift where he took a puck to the leg early on.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I'm guessing he was exhausted from playing a two minute shift where he took a puck to the leg early on.

I wasn't really trying to say anything was fishy. He just came back really quick. Probably painkillers like Victorious said. +1 to Murphy for the effort he gave defending while going through that

Billy Mays Here*

Is it just me or is Stoner playing pretty well this year?

That's because he's getting 3rd pairing minutes like he should be as he's a 3rd pairing d-man. Last year he was playing in the top 4 nearly every game and looked bad because of it. I like Stoner and think he's a very solid bottom pairing guy, but when you ask him to jump in to the top 4, then there's going to be problems.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Yup. Stoner has been solid this year. Huge improvement, as we all remember last year.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Back from the game, probably the worst atmosphere out of all the ones I've been to this far except Columbus in the preseason (Blues preseason, Ducks, Jets and tonight).

A surprising number of seats, not a sell out, and pretty lackluster overall, Nordy didn't even really get the drum out in the third.

I'll take the points though, but man that 2nd period was depressing.

Most of us in the section I'm in were having horrible flashbacks to last season.

I just realized that Heatley's empty netter was a PPG.

I'm dead.

I was laughing when it went in, and I was laughing on the ride home when they were talking about it on Wild live and said "empty netter" and then someone added AND POWERPLAY GOAL.

Honestly, every game is people screaming at him that I've been to this year (five all told now) and he's been absolute garbage (worse in person than on TV) in all but probably the Winnipeg game.

I hope that goal does something for him, but it's clear he's completely done here though everybody knew that and honestly, if I was another team there is no way I'd sign him if I was in the NHL.

Looks completely shot out there.

:D

Seeing it happen live, he got blasted, and was like a punch drunk boxer stumbling around from a liver shot. He could hardly get off the ice, then seemingly went to the locker room for an injury to get him off the ice....and returned and still looked like crap and I think was on for them clearing the puck and went off. Can't remember seeing him after that but I could be wrong.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
My take:

A sloppy game from both teams tonight. A good first, a bad second, and then an ok third.

Granlund looked great along with El Nino and Fontaine. Koivu, Pominville, and Veilleux did not have good nights. Heatley needs to be benched. Even though he scored, he can't play anymore at all.

I felt the officiating was ok, but they missed 2 or 3 interference calls in the second period on Carolina that switched momentum for a bit.

A win is a win even an ugly one. That's all that matters.

Hopefully Harding doesn't have any big injury.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Stoner had only one incredible mistake where he mishandled the puck horribly as he wad scared of it, which almost led too a CAR goal. Otherwise a solid game from him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I am sick and tired of Mikko passing up perfectly good opportunities to shoot the puck. He needs to get off that top line. I don't care how defensively responsible he is. If he is not willing to shoot the puck, move over and let someone else get those opportunities. We keep hearing about how he could "cheat" defensively and score if he wanted to...BS. Tons of guys in the league don't cheat and manage to score. For some reason he's just not willing to shoot the puck and it costs the Wild several scoring chances per game.

Otherwise, okay game. Good pressure early in the first and late in the third, the middle was a lull. Glad to see them get two points, but this is what worried me...they weren't getting points when they outplayed the opponent but what happens when the team starts getting banged up and can't dominate for 50+ minutes per game?

Also, the team needs to be more aware on the PK of the backdoor play. How many goals this season have been scored there? Semin last night, St Louis vs Tampa, one of the Toronto PP goals, and that's just this past week.

The team is really missing Brodin on the breakouts. Really sloppy zone exits just chipping the puck off the glass and out. Hopefully he gets back real soon.

And hope Harding's not seriously hurt. Backs looked okay but not nearly as sharp as Harding has been, who's had better positioning and much better rebound control.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Re: Murray, he took a slapper to the back of the leg, in what looked like the thigh? There's hardly any padding there. I would guess he got a Charley Horse because it's going to be intense pain and cramping, but if there wasn't any serious damage, it could go away after you walk it off. His leg is going to be a rainbow though.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
I am sick and tired of Mikko passing up perfectly good opportunities to shoot the puck. He needs to get off that top line. I don't care how defensively responsible he is. If he is not willing to shoot the puck, move over and let someone else get those opportunities. We keep hearing about how he could "cheat" defensively and score if he wanted to...BS. Tons of guys in the league don't cheat and manage to score. For some reason he's just not willing to shoot the puck and it costs the Wild several scoring chances per game.

Otherwise, okay game. Good pressure early in the first and late in the third, the middle was a lull. Glad to see them get two points, but this is what worried me...they weren't getting points when they outplayed the opponent but what happens when the team starts getting banged up and can't dominate for 50+ minutes per game?

Also, the team needs to be more aware on the PK of the backdoor play. How many goals this season have been scored there? Semin last night, St Louis vs Tampa, one of the Toronto PP goals, and that's just this past week.

The team is really missing Brodin on the breakouts. Really sloppy zone exits just chipping the puck off the glass and out. Hopefully he gets back real soon.

And hope Harding's not seriously hurt. Backs looked okay but not nearly as sharp as Harding has been, who's had better positioning and much better rebound control.

I agree 100% about Koivu. He's a liability to the top scoring line. Fontaine / Niederreiter and Parise hustle, Koivu cherry picks and passes pucks away when he's the guy who is the best position to shoot and score. In my opinion those are all signs of a guy who lacks confidence. He may try to rationalize it as being defensively responsible or say he felt a teammate had a better chance but a simple viewing of his shifts would kill that notion pretty quick. I too am tired of Koivu passing up on a quality shot to attempt an almost no-chance pass to a guy who doesn't feel he's even open so if somehow it makes it there he is completely unprepared but more often than not its intercepted and the scoring chance is lost altogether.

I think the effort / production concern is very legit and real. The team is piling up the shots, with more than a fair amount of good chances but they're still not scoring. The Wild really only scored twice in the game and got the gimme empty net one. Its very tough to win when you know that you can only reliably score 2 goals per game and that's when you're playing well.

Carolina didn't impress me at all. They're lucky they are in the weaker of the two Eastern divisions. I also do not believe Ryan Murphy was faking at all. That shot he took was in an area with virtually no padding. He was limping in a real way and I felt he tried his best to make himself useful in his own zone, but just didn't have the ability to make the plays he needed to. He returned and looked not too bad, but on that play the pain, suffering, limping was 100% real. Why continue to fake that for 30 seconds? If it wasn't going to draw a call or a whistle initially why keep doing that? That's just stupid. I don't think Murphy is that stupid. Nor do I think Kirk Muller would be that stupid for playing a guy that would do something so stupid as that.

The trainer could've applied some Flexall to the back of his leg to loosen it up or some ice to try to reduce the swelling, pain and make it functional again. I thought it was a pretty brave shift by the young defenseman actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad