Recalled/Assigned: 10/20: Harrington, Ebbett sent back to WBS

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Its weird this year, anytime the pens make a move your trying to guess what there doing, your never quite sure why they are calling up somebody or why they are sending somebody down.

It's actually been quite easy to understand all the moves but people just try to read too much into every little thing. Harrington was up as the 7th D-man for the current road trip. He got sent down and possibly play tonight for WBS. Then for Tuesday either he or Bennett likely will get recalled (no cap room for both unless Maatta is put on LTIR). I would guess Bennett will get recalled first and possibly Harrington as well if they put Maatta on LTIR.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Nope, but they haven't had a 13th forward up for most of the year either, does it really matter if your extra player is a forward or def?

In case for last minute roster changes (minor injury in the warmup etc.) it's always better to have an extra D-man in hand than a forward. Easier to play with 11 forwards than with just 5 D-man. Double shifting Crosby or Malkin and others on the 4th line is easier (well the team is already doing that with Malkin getting shifts with 4th liners in several games) than having to play Letang for example on two defense pairings.

So if it's a question on having just 13th forward or 7th D-man up as an extra, pretty sure every team would go for the latter. Especially if talking about longer term.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's actually been quite easy to understand all the moves but people just try to read too much into every little thing. Harrington was up as the 7th D-man for the current road trip. He got sent down and possibly play tonight for WBS. Then for Tuesday either he or Bennett likely will get recalled (no cap room for both unless Maatta is put on LTIR). I would guess Bennett will get recalled first and possibly Harrington as well if they put Maatta on LTIR.

Well yeah i could tell you they are going to recall BB or Harrington also.

I don't know if they are sending Harrington down to get into a game and for cap reasons, or they are just sending Harrington down to make room for BB, you don't know either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Considering they didn't call Bennett up, I'd say it's pretty obvious.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
In case for last minute roster changes (minor injury in the warmup etc.) it's always better to have an extra D-man in hand than a forward. Easier to play with 11 forwards than with just 5 D-man. Double shifting Crosby or Malkin and others on the 4th line is easier (well the team is already doing that with Malkin getting shifts with 4th liners in several games) than having to play Letang for example on two defense pairings.

So if it's a question on having just 13th forward or 7th D-man up as an extra, pretty sure every team would go for the latter. Especially if talking about longer term.

I agree that teams would prefer the 7th d man, but the only way the pens can bring up BB and not put Maatta on LTIR is to go with 6 def, unless they put Sill on waivers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They most likely wouldn't call up the player til Tuesday for cap reasons.

Baby Pens play at 4 this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure they want BB to play in this one.

Hopefully he is deemed ready to play after this and recalled for Tuesdays game, but who knows really.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Well yeah i could tell you they are going to recall BB or Harrington also.

I don't know if they are sending Harrington down to get into a game and for cap reasons, or they are just sending Harrington down to make room for BB, you don't know either.

Yeah, I don't know it. Didn't claim to do so. But it's easy to read what the demotions and callup the team is doing mean. The answers have been quite simple so far, and not complicated like many try to make them. And quite easy to guess what they do next right now.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I don't know it. Didn't claim to do so. But it's easy to read what the demotions and callup the team is doing mean. The answers have been quite simple so far, and not complicated like many try to make them. And quite easy to guess what they do next right now.

:laugh:

Its not easy to guess what the next move is, we don't know if BB or Harrington will be called back up.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
:laugh:

Its not easy to guess what the next move is, we don't know if BB or Harrington will be called back up.

Um, yeah it is. There may some options but it's not like they're going to go and call Dea up. You can take that to the bank. It's easy to guess because the options on what they're doing are very limited even from looking outside. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what they're doing next. And then see the rationale behind that move.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Um, yeah it is. There may some options but it's not like they're going to go and call Dea up. You can take that to the bank. It's easy to guess because the options on what they're doing are very limited even from looking outside. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what they're doing next.

I honestly have no clue when they will call BB back up. Is two games enough to deem him ready? I'd say yes, but I'm not the decision maker for the org obviously.

I really don't want him down there too long, given his injury history and ****** luck.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Um, yeah it is. There may some options but it's not like they're going to go and call Dea up. You can take that to the bank. It's easy to guess because the options on what they're doing are very limited even from looking outside. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what they're doing next. And then see the rationale behind that move.

This is kind of a pointless conversation.

We know there either going to call Harrington or BB up, that part is easy to guess.

The million dollar question is which one gets called up, neither of us know that, were left guessing trying to figure out which one gets called up.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I honestly have no clue when they will call BB back up. Is two games enough to deem him ready? I'd say yes, but I'm not the decision maker for the org obviously.

I would be shocked if Bennett isn't back up by next Saturday at the latest. Barring an injury in tonight's game, obviously.

MJ said it will be a conditioning assignment and he'll play two games there this weekend. That should be enough to get him ready. Yes he will be held to completely different standards than Malkin, but they did throw him right to games even with him missing whole training camp. I don't see any reason to keep Bennett down for weeks. Nothing MJ has said about Bennett since training camp and with regards to this conditioning assignment makes me believe he wouldn't up as soon as possible.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
This is kind of a pointless conversation.

We know there either going to call Harrington or BB up, that part is easy to guess.

The million dollar question is which one gets called up, neither of us know that, were left guessing trying to figure out which one gets called up.

Agree on the first point.

But hey, in my first reply I even said I would guess Bennett will be recalled. Guess being the key word. You turned that into this debate whether or not I know something, which is pointless discussion, since I ain't JR or MJ and never claimed to have knowledge. I can still make an educated guess - which is what we're all doing here on different things without actually knowing what goes in the heads of those making the decisions.

Anyways, carry on.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would be shocked if Bennett isn't back up by next Saturday at the latest. Barring an injury in tonight's game, obviously.

MJ said it will be a conditioning assignment and he'll play two games there this weekend. That should be enough to get him ready. Yes he will be held to completely different standards than Malkin, but they did throw him right to games even with him missing whole training camp. I don't see any reason to keep Bennett down for weeks. Nothing MJ has said about Bennett since training camp and with regards to this conditioning assignment makes me believe he wouldn't up as soon as possible.

I don't see him staying there long either. I'm just not sure if he will be up by Tuesday or not.

Like I said, the A is a tough league and I don't really want him exposed to injury down there longer than he should be.

If he gets hurt again playing in the NHL, it is what it is. If he gets hurt playing in the A, I'll be pretty pissed, because I honestly don think he needs to be down there, but that's just my opinion.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The worst part about all of this to me is that Harrington is the guy who keeps on getting called up and down, Chorney should be the guy getting called up and down, Harrington should be playing every game in the AHL rather then sitting in the press box.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The worst part about all of this to me is that Harrington is the guy who keeps on getting called up and down, Chorney should be the guy getting called up and down, Harrington should be playing every game in the AHL rather then sitting in the press box.

I totally agree with this. It makes absolutely no sense to me that he isn't playing games in the A so he can sit in the press box watching NHL games.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Well it's a long season. He'll be fine and getting lots of playing time when Maata gets back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bottom line is that Rutherford needs to do whatever he has to in order to clear some dead cap space and get the best players on the big team.

It's all well and good that Scuds has had a bounce back year and his inability to move the puck up-ice hasn't burned him because he plays with a very good transition player like Despres, but he needs to go. This logjam and consequent yoyo-ing of our good young players has got to end.

Package a draft pick with him, whatever.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I totally agree with this. It makes absolutely no sense to me that he isn't playing games in the A so he can sit in the press box watching NHL games.

rewarding him with an NHL paycheck and getting him time/practice with the team I guess.

Bottom line is that Rutherford needs to do whatever he has to in order to clear some dead cap space and get the best players on the big team.

It's all well and good that Scuds has had a bounce back year and his inability to move the puck up-ice hasn't burned him because he plays with a very good transition player like Despres, but he needs to go. This logjam and consequent yoyo-ing of our good young players has got to end.

Package a draft pick with him, whatever.

For sure. He's playing well enough to trade soon imo.

LionelHutz*

Interesting, Dumo is still up And the was DP is killing it I would have thought he'd get a phone call.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Interesting, Dumo is still up And the was DP is killing it I would have thought he'd get a phone call.

Type of guy injured and I still think Dumoulin is being showcased.

If Letang was out again and Bortz, then yeah I would say DP and Harrington should be recalled, but Bortuzzo out and Letang is back, you need a solid defensive defenseman up and Harrington fits that bill better than DP does. Dumo is more of a hybrid type.

In all likelihood, Harrington is going to be stuck with Scuderi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad