GDT: 10/17/17 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New Jersey

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Just found out we lost. I refuse to watch shootouts anymore. It's such a stupid way for a good game to end. We should have taken this one... PK or not, giving up the tying goal late was a little irritating. We're looking solid, but we have some stuff to work on too.

Also, Sustr.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know what game you guys were watching but I just watched the highlights and I didn't see Sustr on the ice for any goals against.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He was in the box for one.

I thought it was a bad penalty call btw

In the box is still not on the ice, not his fault his teammates let him down. That's why he needs to be in the lineup, NJ didn't score when he was out there on the PK, Stralman just can't cut it like Sustr.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
In the box is still not on the ice, not his fault his teammates let him down. That's why he needs to be in the lineup, NJ didn't score when he was out there on the PK, Stralman just can't cut it like Sustr.
I’m not arguing with you, I thought he played fine. I don’t understand why people are bitching about his play.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Pretty sure I remember Stralman icing the puck at least twice unnecessarily, after stopping behind our net to start a break out.

This was meant to be an addendum to my last response.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Sure there is room for improvement, especially when it comes to defence but I like how we are using our speed better this season in our offense, to me that's a big positive.

Reactions: Hoek

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I guess we can't be all that mad at 3/4 possible points on this back-to-back.

But it goes to show we can't just keep having these high scoring battles and our defensive game needs to be better, a lot better. Budaj should have had some of those goals but the penalties killed us.

Also our PP could have and should have won us the game but they got too cute.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Schneider was reading Stamkos and Kucherov's fake shot/pass really well in the 3rd and OT.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well, I'm glad this game was a lot of fun and to even get 1 point out of a scheduled loss like this isn't bad. Every point counts and while they should have won the game with the late PP, at least they didn't blow the lead either. I don't care too much about a loss to New Jersey in OT. I'd much rather have this happen tonight than against the Red Wings.

The defense is really not looking good though. There's so much that needs to happen for these high scoring games to slow down some. They've got plenty of work to do.

Also Kucherov is just ridiculous. That is all.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I thought Sustr had a pretty solid game. Nothing amazing but filled his role nicely

I thought Budaj was going to give up 5 and get pulled before the end of the 2nd, on the other hand

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
That was two softies by Budaj. He needs to be given a bit more regular work. The score should have been 4 - 2 Lightning in this one and maybe we get another one with an empty net. I'd say with Vasi in net we win this game easy. Sustr wasn't bad...but still rather have Koekkoek as the 7th D. As soon as the injuries start piling on for someone ... Yzerman gonna get a nice returns on him. Wouldn't mind Thomas and Cernak as injury call-ups this season as well as getting a new return on Sustr.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I missed the first period and therefore didn't see the budaj softies. He was very strong in the 2nd and 3rd. Also didn't really notice Sustr except for the penalty. Would still rather use his time developing koekkoek. With Sustr, we know he is what he is. With koekkoek, there's still a solid skillet to give him some upside.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Schneider was reading Stamkos and Kucherov's fake shot/pass really well in the 3rd and OT.
Very true. This seemed to be a set play where they were going to go back and forth until one gets an open look.

I liked the play - thought it looked good. Cory just played it real well.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Wow... at first I thought all the comments about Sustr were in jest, but apparently not. I mean, he wasn't awful, but I wouldn't say he played well. He played like he usually does, which probably won't be good enough given the speed that most teams are playing with. One-on-one he's a natural disaster.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I missed the first period and therefore didn't see the budaj softies. He was very strong in the 2nd and 3rd. Also didn't really notice Sustr except for the penalty. Would still rather use his time developing koekkoek. With Sustr, we know he is what he is. With koekkoek, there's still a solid skillet to give him some upside.
Sustr I don't get because our right side is set.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sustr I don't get because our right side is set.

Just waiting for a chance to move him? Joe Smith mentioned something to the effect of us "possibly" trying to move him. One one hand, reporters tend to not make that comment unless they've heard something, but on the other hand, Joe Smith.

I don't think we intend to carry 8 D for the full year though. Seems like we've always fluctuated a bit between 7 and 8 throughout the season, but, with our current lineup, we're handcuffed to 8 unless we move somebody.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wow... at first I thought all the comments about Sustr were in jest, but apparently not. I mean, he wasn't awful, but I wouldn't say he played well. He played like he usually does, which probably won't be good enough given the speed that most teams are playing with. One-on-one he's a natural disaster.

Watch him against a fast team like a Pittsburgh or Toronto and you will literally see players like a Carl Hagelin skate circles around him in the corner and all Sustr can do is helplessly flail around

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Watch him against a fast team like a Pittsburgh or Toronto and you will literally see players like a Carl Hagelin skate circles around him in the corner and all Sustr can do is helplessly flail around
Sadly, this is true. And most teams are looking quicker this year. He didn't slow New Jersey's rush down at all. There's so much space between his stick and each of his legs that players can essentially dump the puck right through him and skate around him. And they do. They do it a lot. He's got a ways to go if he wants to stay in the lineup, that's for sure.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Certain we're going to see Drouin break Sustr's ankles at least once this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad