GDT: 10-13-16 Boston Bruins vs Columbus Blue Jackets

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
We won 30 of 65. Dub was 15/25 and our bottom 2 centers were atrocious...a combined 9/27.

Exactly. Which is why Jenner needs to be shifted back to center and Wennberg to wing.

Wennberg-Dubinsky-Atkinson is a much more defensively sound top line and can chip in offensively, too. Saad-Jenner-Foligno is a great second line, and can really possess the puck and create chances. We really lack a good option at 3C imo, unless Bill can start to win some draws.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Looks like Prout will be back in next game.

How long before Torts' training camp gets blamed?

Well.. for all the talk of the training camp it sure didn't seem to give us the boost we needed in the 3rd.

I'm sure I'll get accused of piling on, but the third was especially disappointing, given all the hype around the mythical "Torts camp"

Agreed, didn't appear any different than a 3rd period last year.

Yes. But Dancing Kevin looked great. Wouldn't have recognized him. So there was a bright spot on the evening.

Definitely a bright spot.. good for him.. and good on the Jackets at honoring his progress. I ran into him in the hall leading to the section and he had a smokin' hott blonde gal with him. :D

When it was 3-3, I turned to my girlfriend and said "you know it's over right? Every single person in the building, including the Jackets, know they are going to lose"

And they did.

Anderson isn't ready for the NHL, whoever 65 is, isn't either. No offensive talent. Everyone is playing a line higher than their talent level dictates, sometimes two. No true number one line players or talent. All toughness has been stripped of the team or scratched. Can't win face-offs. Bjorkstrand was pushed off the puck every time he got it. No speed.

We might challenge last years 0-8 start, might even destroy it. So who's top pick this year?

Really glad I didn't renew my season tickets and just bought 3 games and make them prove it to me why I should buy the rest. Walking out of there last night was like the walk of shame in college, you can't believe that just happened and you are ashamed and don't want to make eye contact with anyone.

Don't know that I agree with everything else.. but the bold is money. Perfect example. :(

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
You guys are being too negative. Here is a positive: they didn't want until the last few minutes to lose the opener unlike last year

Adjust your thinking and you'll feel better

:laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm fine with pairing Wennberg with someone who can take draws for him, but there's no way that we are better off with him on the wing. Faceoffs are important but they don't outweigh the other factors that drive possession, like passing, positional awareness, etc... I'm not a stats guy but I trust them when they say that the correlation between faceoffs and total possession is surprisingly low.

In any case, it's a small issue compared to the struggles of Dubi's line.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
At centre you are literally at the heart of the play. Every lane is available, including the options below.

Finland at the World Cup demonstrated with the best ever Finnish (NHL) centre material (...Well these are no "Raipe" Helminen...) available the outcome of failing to utilize the centre as the Leading One put it. 180 minutes of clogged struggle without goals followed. Of course M. Koivu, V. Filppula and Barkov junior were then downplayed as individuals but maybe the truth is out there.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
A coach has to be a leader. He has to have followers - whether that is all 23 guys in the room or if he has 3-5 leaders who follow, then the rest of the team buys into them (that was Hitch's thinking - not that he would have 23 guys but his core leadership would buy into him and they would get the others to follow them).

Especially with a young team it can be a challenge if you're losing most nights to buy in and stay committed. Heck Hitch went to the playoffs one season and the next the players quit listening to him.

I do think Torts is an upgrade over Richards, but I don't think he is a good fit with this team as constructed. Seems to be more of the guy you bring in when the old coach couldn't get any more out of them. Goes back that you hire a true coach for a young team, then at some point once they are further down the road you bring in the guy who can get a little more out of them and put them over the top. I see Torts as more of the latter guy. So could be interesting.

Of cause the coach has to be the leader.
BUT he does not do that by shouting all his frustration out into the media.
He give give the media a talk for the talk and wait with the real talking, until he comes behind doors.
IF HE DON'T, he just shows his lack of leadership, that when he loose his ability reach the veterans.
AND yesterday they failed. or more correct a few of them failed.

About coaching, we probably lost the best fitting to Colorado. Because what Jared Bednar build in the Monsters was a team.
To build a team is the most difficult in professional sport, so that is no small matter.
However give the old man a chance! No one should expect this team to really compete this year.
BUT how he handle the lack of effort from some veterans, is quite important, to how the rest will react.

Just again, it is unprofessional to handle personnel matters in the media.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This could be used as an example in a writing class on how to compose a message entirely of statements that are literally false. Except for "And they did".

And the Anderson part is subjective, but it's also odd that you are ragging on Anderson. That kid is tougher at this point than any player who left the team. He'll be one of your favorites very soon.

I like Anderson, I watched him extensively with the Monsters last year, he just hasn't done anything at the NHL level, last year or this year, yet. I think he will be ok in the end, but just not sure he's ready for the NHL. We will see.

Not sure what else was false, we don't have a first line, we didn't win faceoffs, etc. Based on that game, it's all true

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not sure what else was false, we don't have a first line, we didn't win faceoffs, etc. Based on that game, it's all true

I was kidding, because every statement was hyperbole and I thought it was funny.

"We didn't win faceoffs" - except for the 30 we did. I agree with your point, it's just literally false.

And Brandon Saad, believe it or not, is a topline quality player. Torts has to use him more.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I was kidding, because every statement was hyperbole and I thought it was funny.

"We didn't win faceoffs" - except for the 30 we did. I agree with your point, it's just literally false.

And Brandon Saad, believe it or not, is a topline quality player. Torts has to use him more.

We didn't win enough face-offs. Especially in the final 40 minutes of play.

I agree, Saad is a great player. Torts has recognized that he needs to utilize him more, which is why we're seeing him on the PK now (I think him and Foligno were a PK forward pairing). I just wish he would get a chance to play a center other than Gagner. Wennberg seems to be the best option to match his speed.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yeah, I don't know what the babbling is about the faceoffs. Dubinsky was pretty good, Wennberg was crap. Wennberg is a pretty good player but the guy sucks at faceoffs.

Really shouldn't come as a surprise, Karlsson and Wennberg were crap at faceoffs last season too. Jenner is actually pretty darn good at them, as is Dubinsky.

Jenner should be playing center on this team.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what your coaching staff and front office are doing most of the time. There is little logic to the a lot of the moves the front office makes and the coaching staff's made odd decisions on how to utilize players.

Dubinsky is clearly declining. It's time to move him to wing and manage his minutes. Move Jenner to center and get Dubinsky on Wennberg's wing so that Dubinsky can take key faceoffs.

Oh and Savard still blows. That first shift with him and Murray in the third period was just comical. Savard had no idea what he was doing and ended up trying to force a pass and get an icing when the line had been out there for a long shift. He's just not a smart player and his passing skills are a joke.

m8n8

Oct 31, 2011
Aside from the humiliating loss....

...was it fun for the whole family??

That's the important thing!!

I work 2nd shift. I didn't see any of the game, any replays, or watch any interviews after the game but I bet I can name at least three (3) "events" that happened last night.

1. We came out on fire and looked great until we scored a couple goals.

2. After our goals, they played that "whoa ho whoa ho oh" teenage yoga pant wearing bubblegum craptastic song.

3. Our coach couldn't explain the **** show that occurred just prior to his post game presser.

How did I do? 3 out of 3??

Take note for this time next year.

I'll say it again and you can all laugh and tell me what an idiot I am (EspenK), BUT, until the CBJ Org. changes their country club, fun for the whole family, bubblegum BS atmosphere to a hard core, "we're going to rip your face off and piss on your corpse" atmosphere, expect similar season results.

Now kiss for the camera, how cute.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111154871&highlight=#post111154871

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Was at the game, haven't read the thread, but I'm sure it's been said, that was some of the worst passing I've ever witnessed, they looked badddd.

On the bright side though, for the first time ever I have zero expectations for this team so the loss didn't bother me one bit. I actually was getting pretty bored of the game and wanted to leave after about 1 1/2 periods. I'm actually scared that I'm starting to not even care at all about this hockey team any more.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I work 2nd shift. I didn't see any of the game, any replays, or watch any interviews after the game but I bet I can name at least three (3) "events" that happened last night.

2. After our goals, they played that "whoa ho whoa ho oh" teenage yoga pant wearing bubblegum craptastic song.

3. Our coach couldn't explain the **** show that occurred just prior to his post game presser.

I'll say it again and you can all laugh and tell me what an idiot I am (EspenK), BUT, until the CBJ Org. changes their country club, fun for the whole family, bubblegum BS atmosphere to a hard core, "we're going to rip your face off and piss on your corpse" atmosphere, expect similar season results.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111154871&highlight=#post111154871

If you insist consider it done.:dunno:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You need to get out more. Like specifically to other team's arenas.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'll be honest, I have no idea what your coaching staff and front office are doing most of the time. There is little logic to the a lot of the moves the front office makes and the coaching staff's made odd decisions on how to utilize players.

This and been saying it for a while. Sometimes, in a micro sense, I can understand something that's being done, but in terms of an overall charting, I can't place all the stuff that's happening on the same arrow.

Dubinsky is clearly declining.[/QUOTE]

Can't let this slip by without bringing attention to it. This is what I'm afraid we're seeing and I let it go because I backed off making a sweeping statement. I'd be lying if I said it hand't crossed my mind, though.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Saad can be at times, he's the closest thing we've got anyway. Winning 30 is great if there is only 45 faceoffs, but unfortunately there wasn't and we were sub 50% overall and if you take out Dubi's 15 then it was just gross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad