GDT: #1 Part 2 - Devils/Flyers blown leads galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
apparently the viewing party got a sneak peek to the new on-ice graphics last night.

10614387_10152751928869583_4941715354690624550_n.jpg

It definitely looks much better from higher up..in the lower bowl, it looked OK but couldn't get the real feel of the 3-D.

Like Johnny Mac. On the Simmons tying goal, Mac talked about how you have to tie up the man's stick right there...pointing out the obvious mistake from our veteran Captain....I didn't notice him say "Ya Know" once....through he was much more natural than a coach doing a presser...

LOVED Daneyko.....he fumbled around his words and rambled a few times but otherwise I thought he was great and again loved his commentary - especially when he called out that the flyer fans wanted a penalty called on everything! We often critical opposing teams announcers as being homers but I kind of like having Daneyko be OUR HOMER.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm happy this game ended up the way it did. Even though we almost blew the game scoring six goals the way we did can go a long way. It was good for Ryder and Cammalleri scoring 2 goals a piece, it can really establish confidence in their offensive game. I'll take this over a 1-0 shutout where we played a perfect defensive game. It's only the first game and they'll get their bearings when it comes to the defensive aspects. So let's take this win and go down to Miami and score another 6 goals!

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I'm happy this game ended up the way it did. Even though we almost blew the game scoring six goals the way we did can go a long way. It was good for Ryder and Cammalleri scoring 2 goals a piece, it can really establish confidence in their offensive game. I'll take this over a 1-0 shutout where we played a perfect defensive game. It's only the first game and they'll get their bearings when it comes to the defensive aspects. So let's take this win and go down to Miami and score another 6 goals!

Ryder only had 1 goal. Cammalleri scored 2, Ryder, Henrique, Elias and Zubrus scored the 4 other goals.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
dano is not chico.... but he is a little him in a good way. ramble on or talk over canji is not a bad thing in my book

and im not meaning i dont canji's call of the game ....ive grown to like the ompaa loompa

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i would have to say i dont agree good sir

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Last year Dano couldn't even figure out the cough button. He was horking loogies into his mic over Steve's calls.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
i would have to say i dont agree good sir

I just think having five different guy score on opening night is a good way for them to gain confidence as the season starts. Confidence in hockey goes a long way. Adam Larsson being a prime example.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You might agree if you watched hockey for entertainment.

I would say if you can't find entertainment in watching a defenseman, a forward and team playing perfect defense you don't know what you are missing...

for Pro sports I pretty much only watch hockey. I don't find pro sports as entaining as amateur sports. Pro sports lack a passion compared to NCAA sports...and here's the thing, I like to watch the passionate play without the high level of execution. I like the flaws of amateurs very much and I find it endearing knowing that not so perfect play was the best they could do.

Pro sports on the other hand, I have a tough time dealing with poor execution, I find it unacceptable... I think to myself I'd rather watch a happy kid at Matthews arena playing for BU, BC, Harvard or Northeastern miss an assignment that leads to a goal with the bands bass thumping and a loud intense snair drum accompanied by a big brass tuba in the background...knowing that kid is probably going to be an accountant in 6 months but he is doing his best and living a dream.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I would say if you can't find entertainment in watching a defenseman, a forward and team playing perfect defense you don't know what you are missing...

I've always thought it's the battle between great forwards and great defense that is so thrilling. Seeing two sides battling both physically and mentally all at the same time, with so much strategy and athleticism happening in split seconds is incredible. Back in the days when Gretzky was scoring 150 points a year, and there were very few great defensemen and fewer great goalies, the game was boring. Anytime one side is vastly superior to the other things get boring.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

for Pro sports I pretty much only watch hockey. I don't find pro sports as entaining as amateur sports. Pro sports lack a passion compared to NCAA sports...and here's the thing, I like to watch the passionate play without the high level of execution. I like the flaws of amateurs very much and I find it endearing knowing that not so perfect play was the best they could do.

Pro sports on the other hand, I have a tough time dealing with poor execution, I find it unacceptable... I think to myself I'd rather watch a happy kid at Matthews arena playing for BU, BC, Harvard or Northeastern miss an assignment that leads to a goal with the bands bass thumping and a loud intense snair drum accompanied by a big brass tuba in the background...knowing that kid is probably going to be an accountant in 6 months but he is doing his best and living a dream.

What about the Olympics. Other than hockey which has pros the Olympics matter a lot to the individual. A lot of amateurs are mixed in with pro's.

Makes it really impressive when you see guys who earn under $30 000 a year winning at sports at the top level.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
4.5 seconds left on a PK and you send out your worst faceoff man to take a defensive zone faceoff moments after your 3 goal lead dwindled to 1.

That's all you need to know about Deboer's decision making skills.

That same player had more PK time than 3 of the better PKers in the league in Zajac, Henrique and Elias.

Combined.

Camille the Eel

You might agree if you watched hockey for entertainment.

also the character the team showed by coming back to take the lead again, and again, after blowing it at the end of the second period, and then again after giving up the goal to Lecavalier 15 seconds after Elias' go ahead goal in the third.

I liked the guts of the team last night. I think a year ago, they would've bailed.

Remember that game in Winnipeg or Edmonton last year, first week of the season, where they blew a 3 or 4 goal lead? It felt like they almost never got over that one, all season long. Okay just the first game of the year last night, but still it felt like the kind of blown game that could have knocked their confidence. This time they didn't let it happen.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
4.5 seconds left on a PK and you send out your worst faceoff man to take a defensive zone faceoff moments after your 3 goal lead dwindled to 1.

That same player had more PK time than 3 of the better PKers in the league in Zajac, Henrique and Elias.

Combined.

Agreed.

Gionta needs to be used in moderation on the PK. Trav, Patty, Rico, Zubes. These are our best PK forwards. Cammalerri I suppose could be used for the PK too. He was last game.

Ruutu could be an option as well. If his line mates from the poo poo platter don't make him completely useless at other aspects.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Combined.

Your first point is valid and I agree with it. Zajac should have been out there for the face-off.

The 2nd point though is not. Gionta was stuck on the ice for one of the early PKs for pretty much the full 2 minutes.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Your first point is valid and I agree with it. Zajac should have been out there for the face-off.

The 2nd point though is not. Gionta was stuck on the ice for one of the early PKs for pretty much the full 2 minutes.

Ah so one of your players gets stuck on the ice for a full 2 minutes of PK...

What do you do next time you take a penalty?

Play that player, of course.

You give up a PP goal 14 seconds into the PP.

What do you the next time you take a penalty?

You give up a PP goal 4 seconds into the PP.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the problem is.. and it's not just Gionta either. Weirdly enough.. there's another player who was on the ice for all three of these incidents as well..

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ah so one of your players gets stuck on the ice for a full 2 minutes of PK...

What do you do next time you take a penalty?

You give up a PP goal 14 seconds into the PP.

What do you the next time you take a penalty?

You give up a PP goal 4 seconds into the PP.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the problem is.. and it's not just Gionta either. Weirdly enough.. there's another player who was on the ice for all three of these incidents as well..

It also depends on the shifts leading up to the penalty. Not defending Pete on that draw. It was boneheaded. Not going to make blanket statements about his decision making either though.

Pete almost always has zajac take those draws too. Was there some reason he couldn't put him out there? If not I guess he honestly figured there was so little time left nothing could happen. Bad move either way.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Salvador was good on the PK the last two years, but last night he was even bad in that area.

I'm willing to give him more PK time before crucifying him in that area, because he was good on it the last two years, unlike at even strength.

He was scary in game 1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad