Value of: 1 of these Blue Jackets to Toronto

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
staal has 1 year left and he might have had his bonus paid pre trade so 3.2 or maybe 4.2 million in salary and 5.7 million in cap hit. Plus rangers were not up against the cap so teams had less leverage in said deal

kerfoot has 2 years left, 3.5 million cap hit and 5.4 million in salary total. It might be slightly easier for a team to swallow the cap hit but not by much. Plus now you factor in flat cap. Then you factor in limited revenue. It makes it a really difficult sell.

I would take your bet on kerfoot as he would clear waivers. We just saw ghost clear waivers and even in an argument that he is worse, he will be paid less with a higher cap hit so ghost would be a more attractive asset to those budget teams.

Marleau cost a 1st to remove from the cap. The leafs are up against the cap still and now there are more restraints on teams. No team is going to do the leafs a favor for cheap.

Best option potentially would be for the leafs to trade kerfoot for a player with a low cap hit but high salary. Toronto takes advantage of its benefits and gets to save cap. I have no idea who said player is but its just a thought.
Marleau didn't cost a 1st to trade, Marleau cost a first for a team to buy out his contract. That 1st was compensation for the Hurricanes to buy him out. When the deal was made Carolina knew Marleau would never play for them. This isn't apples to apples.

Yes Staal has 1 year, but he is a far worse player. Kerfoot is slightly overpaid but is still a useful hockey player. His cap hit is higher than his salary as well (Cap $3.5, actual $2.7) - Ghost has been poor for a few years already and is owed more actual dollars and has a higher cap hit, I don't see them as comparable either.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Marleau didn't cost a 1st to trade, Marleau cost a first for a team to buy out his contract. That 1st was compensation for the Hurricanes to buy him out. When the deal was made Carolina knew Marleau would never play for them. This isn't apples to apples.

Yes Staal has 1 year, but he is a far worse player. Kerfoot is slightly overpaid but is still a useful hockey player. His cap hit is higher than his salary as well (Cap $3.5, actual $2.7) - Ghost has been poor for a few years already and is owed more actual dollars and has a higher cap hit, I don't see them as comparable either.

I was mistaken on the dollars that is my bad there. Been a long day.

I guess my main point here was kerfoot might be an easier sell to a team with an escalating contract. The leafs are the leafs so dollars wont be a problem. Trade him for a lower cap hit then kerfoot but higher salary and go from there. That way both teams are receiving a benefit and the cost would be less to move kerfoot.

Who these players are I have no clue off hand. Essentially saying leafs use their financial muscle to acquire cap flexibility

Reactions: Boondock

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Kerfoot has 2 more years on his deal with 3.5 mil cap hit per. He hasn't lived up to expectations from what i've heard so you will need some incentive to take on his contract.
Hating on someone based on something you heard. I try to be a little less high school girl and watch and come up with my own opinion.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Its more about why are we even looking at CBJ when we can go get better players for cheaper relative to player quality.
With the way Galchenyuk has been playing I just don't see the need to loose a top prospect for marginal upgrades.
I wouldn't mind Iafallo@50% for pick+prospect
1 - it was a TO fan that made the proposal - I don't see CBJ fans making the proposals and saying "we want to rid ourselves of XXXX now pay up".
2 - if Galy is what's pushing toronto over the top.........

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
1 - it was a TO fan that made the proposal - I don't see CBJ fans making the proposals and saying "we want to rid ourselves of XXXX now pay up".
2 - if Galy is what's pushing toronto over the top.........
ok so what about 2021 or 22 1st if they take the 2022 its top 5 protected+2nd+Engvall for Jenner@50%

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
ok so what about 2021 or 22 1st if they take the 2022 its top 5 protected+2nd+Engvall for Jenner@50%
I would make that deal. I think it is actually more than market value - CBJ fans might not agree but that seems like a pretty good deal for the Jackets.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I would say no.
There are other options I rather reserve the big prospects for. I also think that Sandin and Robertson are integral parts to the future of our club and they would be off the table for any rental or players with only limited term.

gotta give to get..

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Sort of, but not really.

What the Jackets badly need is a credible #1C. But we're not getting that from a deadline deal, obviously, so the next best thing is acquiring additional chances to get such a player via the draft or future value trades. We also hope to retain most of the folks we have - the plan is to avoid an extended rebuild if we can help it. (Because if you're missing one core piece, it shouldn't take ripping apart the whole g-ddamn roster to find said piece.)

Accordingly, adding cap dumps is really counterproductive. We can do it, but we'd want significant compensation for same - probably in the form of additional picks so that we can keep trying to get the core replacement guy we need.

So, yes, most of what we want are futures, but that doesn't mean that just throwing together any haphazard collection of futures plus some cap dumps for salary is acceptable.
Yeah it’s definitely easy to see that they need centre’s as Alex Kerfoot would be the undisputed 1c on the blue jackets over Roslovic and Texier assuming Jenner goes to wing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Seems like CBJ is only looking for #1 C's in return for their third line players?? Makes sense.
Thanks for sharing. Next time you want to participate in these things, please take the time to learn the concept of nuance. It will serve you well.

* * *​
I'd call that a "probably, maybe". Depends on the nature of the protection - i.e. if a meteor strikes Toronto and y'all end up finishing last overall, what pick do we get? (And I'm assuming the 2nd is this year's.)

It's a very very nice basis, though, and I may just be unnecessarily nitpicking. :)

* * *​
Yeah it’s definitely easy to see that they need centre’s as Alex Kerfoot would be the undisputed 1c on the blue jackets
Don't be absurd.

Reactions: Fro

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing. Next time you want to participate in these things, please take the time to learn the concept of nuance. It will serve you well.

* * *​

I'd call that a "probably, maybe". Depends on the nature of the protection - i.e. if a meteor strikes Toronto and y'all end up finishing last overall, what pick do we get? (And I'm assuming the 2nd is this year's.)

It's a very very nice basis, though, and I may just be unnecessarily nitpicking. :)

* * *​

Don't be absurd.
Thats a good question, I think it may be simpler to do 2021 1st and 2021 2nd both with no protection but a caveat that if the 1st is top 10 you owe us a 2022 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad