Value of: 1 of these Blue Jackets to Toronto

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
points aren't the only criteria for evaluating players. You also need to account for the team scoring - in 2 fewer games the Leafs have 24 more goals for - including assists this is approximately 72 additional points distributed through the Leafs line up. This will elevate the point totals for players like Kerfoot. Kerfoot is also signed for 2 more seasons so any team trading for Kerfoot would need to want that player and contract.
My point is our fans are getting hung up on adding but forgetting we would be trading top assets for a small increase over Kerfoot

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
points aren't the only criteria for evaluating players. You also need to account for the team scoring - in 2 fewer games the Leafs have 24 more goals for - including assists this is approximately 72 additional points distributed through the Leafs line up. This will elevate the point totals for players like Kerfoot. Kerfoot is also signed for 2 more seasons so any team trading for Kerfoot would need to want that player and contract.

There is a counter-argument to this... which is of course... opportunity.

The Leafs score a lot more than Columbus -- one of the reasons for that is because their top 4 point producers have racked up 138 points to 96 by Columbus in 2 less games.

Jenner plays 17:38/night; 4th amongst forwards. Kerfoot plays 14:28/night for the Leafs.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
There is a counter-argument to this... which is of course... opportunity.

The Leafs score a lot more than Columbus -- one of the reasons for that is because their top 4 point producers have racked up 138 points to 96 by Columbus in 2 less games.

Jenner plays 17:38/night; 4th amongst forwards. Kerfoot plays 14:28/night for the Leafs.
And Kerfoot benefits from that for 2 reasons -
1 - Kerfoot plays some top 6 LW
2 - When not in the top 6 Kerfoot doesn't see top 2 pairing defenders, they are covering the AM and JT lines.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What does Kerfoot, 1st & Amirov get us?
Scorn and dismissal because Kerfoot.

* * *​
Kerfoot, Engravil, Amirov/Lilijgren, Hallander, 1st 2021, 4th 2021 and 2nd 2022

for

Foligno 50% retained, Jenner 50% retained and Kukan
Kerfoot and Engvall therefore complete fail.

See, here's the thing - Kerfoot has ZERO value to the Jackets. None. Leafs fans making Jackets proposals keep adding him as though he's a convenient "he clears cap for us AND he's useful there, so it's a win!" This is wrong. He is not useful here. Our center problems aren't "we lack centers" in general; it's lacking centers with top-6 skill/upside AND experience at the position together. (Roz and Domi and Texier have skill but lack experience; Jenner and Nash have experience but lack skill). Kerfoot does not add to this; he's just yet another entry for the "experience w/o skill" category. He is therefore, for us, simply a cap dump.

The same is also true of Engvall. Sure, he doesn't cost as much, but he provides even less, so the net result is about the same.

Reactions: rotsbu and Madifer

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Scorn and dismissal because Kerfoot.

* * *​

Kerfoot and Engvall therefore complete fail.

See, here's the thing - Kerfoot has ZERO value to the Jackets. None. Leafs fans making Jackets proposals keep adding him as though he's a convenient "he clears cap for us AND he's useful there, so it's a win!" This is wrong. He is not useful here. Our center problems aren't "we lack centers" in general; it's lacking centers with top-6 skill/upside AND experience at the position together. (Roz and Domi and Texier have skill but lack experience; Jenner and Nash have experience but lack skill). Kerfoot does not add to this; he's just yet another entry for the "experience w/o skill" category. He is therefore, for us, simply a cap dump.

The same is also true of Engvall. Sure, he doesn't cost as much, but he provides even less, so the net result is about the same.
Okay Visqi you very intelligent guy make a fair deal with those 3 players to the leafs that doesn’t involve Kerfoot while fitting within the leafs cap space and I’ll etransfer you 5 dollars

Edit- keep in mind the leafs needs. So Andersen can’t be in there unless Korpi is coming back

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Kerfoot, Engravil, Amirov/Lilijgren, Hallander, 1st 2021, 4th 2021 and 2nd 2022

for

Foligno 50% retained, Jenner 50% retained and Kukan

I think its too much in leafs favour, leafs need to add 2022 first and both of Amirov & Liligren maybe another second round pick that seems fair for CBJ

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Okay Visqi you very intelligent guy make a fair deal with those 3 players to the leafs that doesn’t involve Kerfoot while fitting within the leafs cap space and I’ll etransfer you 5 dollars

Edit- keep in mind the leafs needs. So Andersen can’t be in there unless Korpi is coming back
Why is it expected that the Leafs needs be accounted for but not CBJ?

Reactions: Fro and Viqsi

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Nobody taking Kerfoot unless Leafs adding a top prospect (Amirov, Robertson, Sandin)
This isn't accurate. There would be teams that can use Kerfoot, his contract is high based on covid finances so he isn't a top target, but if Staal cost a 2nd to move there is no way Kerfoot costs a top prospect. I don't think he's worth as much in a trade as some Leaf fans are hoping, but I would be willing to bet a lot he wouldn't clear waivers.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
This isn't accurate. There would be teams that can use Kerfoot, his contract is high based on covid finances so he isn't a top target, but if Staal cost a 2nd to move there is no way Kerfoot costs a top prospect. I don't think he's worth as much in a trade as some Leaf fans are hoping, but I would be willing to bet a lot he wouldn't clear waivers.

staal has 1 year left and he might have had his bonus paid pre trade so 3.2 or maybe 4.2 million in salary and 5.7 million in cap hit. Plus rangers were not up against the cap so teams had less leverage in said deal

kerfoot has 2 years left, 3.5 million cap hit and 5.4 million in salary total. It might be slightly easier for a team to swallow the cap hit but not by much. Plus now you factor in flat cap. Then you factor in limited revenue. It makes it a really difficult sell.

I would take your bet on kerfoot as he would clear waivers. We just saw ghost clear waivers and even in an argument that he is worse, he will be paid less with a higher cap hit so ghost would be a more attractive asset to those budget teams.

Marleau cost a 1st to remove from the cap. The leafs are up against the cap still and now there are more restraints on teams. No team is going to do the leafs a favor for cheap.

Best option potentially would be for the leafs to trade kerfoot for a player with a low cap hit but high salary. Toronto takes advantage of its benefits and gets to save cap. I have no idea who said player is but its just a thought.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Kerfoot has 2 more years on his deal with 3.5 mil cap hit per. He hasn't lived up to expectations from what i've heard so you will need some incentive to take on his contract.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Kerfoot has 2 more years on his deal with 3.5 mil cap hit per. He hasn't lived up to expectations from what i've heard so you will need some incentive to take on his contract.
This is silly, can no one see the hypocrisy here? Kerfoot apparently needs assets attached to move yet Jenner demands a 1st+?????
Again I have zero interest in any CBJ asset at full perceived trade value. Jenner@50% for a 2nd+B prospect I can live with that. But to pay a 1st+Amirov for a small upgrade on Kerfoot is nuts.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well the bluejacket needs are futures right.....
Sort of, but not really.

What the Jackets badly need is a credible #1C. But we're not getting that from a deadline deal, obviously, so the next best thing is acquiring additional chances to get such a player via the draft or future value trades. We also hope to retain most of the folks we have - the plan is to avoid an extended rebuild if we can help it. (Because if you're missing one core piece, it shouldn't take ripping apart the whole g-ddamn roster to find said piece.)

Accordingly, adding cap dumps is really counterproductive. We can do it, but we'd want significant compensation for same - probably in the form of additional picks so that we can keep trying to get the core replacement guy we need.

So, yes, most of what we want are futures, but that doesn't mean that just throwing together any haphazard collection of futures plus some cap dumps for salary is acceptable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is silly, can no one see the hypocrisy here? Kerfoot apparently needs assets attached to move yet Jenner demands a 1st+?????
Again I have zero interest in any CBJ asset at full perceived trade value. Jenner@50% for a 2nd+B prospect I can live with that. But to pay a 1st+Amirov for a small upgrade on Kerfoot is nuts.
Your indignation assumes a world in which the Jackets are rebuilding from the ground up. Which is not nor has it ever been the case.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Your indignation assumes a world in which the Jackets are rebuilding from the ground up. Which is not nor has it ever been the case.
Its more about why are we even looking at CBJ when we can go get better players for cheaper relative to player quality.
With the way Galchenyuk has been playing I just don't see the need to loose a top prospect for marginal upgrades.
I wouldn't mind Iafallo@50% for pick+prospect

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Its more about why are we even looking at CBJ when we can go get better players for cheaper relative to player quality.
With the way Galchenyuk has been playing I just don't see the need to loose a top prospect for marginal upgrades.
I wouldn't mind Iafallo@50% for pick+prospect
That's probably fair.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

This all purpose all occasion gif is running wild. It's the toast of all hockey forums internet wide. Even Ottawa fans love using it. The moderators might be forced to ban it, or or or perhaps create an auto embed for those of us that love to use it.

Keep the spirit of the Dorian gif going forever...

Reactions: NyQuil

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Seems like CBJ is only looking for #1 C's in return for their third line players?? Makes sense.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That's probably fair.
don't get me wrong Foligno is perfect for our 3lw problem is we would have to have cap going back the other way. Ironically loosing Kerfoot hurts us more than he helps you.
However a Jenner@50% deal is possible with Engvall going back. In that case either our 2021 or 2022 1st (your pick)+2nd for retention+ Engvall(good player useful bottom 6)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad