Value of: 1 of these Blue Jackets to Toronto

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
Value of Boone Jenner
Value of Nick Foligno
Value of Dean Kukan

Choose 1. Tell me their value. Toronto and CBJ shall be great trading partners this trade deadline.

Please and thanks.

There are slight complications here. Jenner has term and is an important role player so Columbus won’t deal him barring silly overpayment. Foligno is the captain and I feel that Columbus would probably listen to him if he requested not to be traded (rightly or wrongly). Kukan would have a fairly modest price tag but Columbus probably wouldn’t move him if they do trade Savard (which they ought to).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
There are slight complications here. Jenner has term and is an important role player so Columbus won’t deal him barring silly overpayment. Foligno is the captain and I feel that Columbus would probably listen to him if he requested not to be traded (rightly or wrongly). Kukan would have a fairly modest price tag but Columbus probably wouldn’t move him if they do trade Savard (which they ought to).

Agree with all of this. And I would add that CBJ doesn't feel like "true" sellers (yet?), so as of now they'll only move core players if the price is worth it. This isn't a "we'll take the best offer" situation, it has to be a good offer or Jarmo will just keep them.

Reactions: Madifer

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I agree. In about a week they will determine if they are buyers or sellers at the deadline. They have to contend with Chicago and Nashville to get into the post season.

If they get in will they do damage in the playoffs? Is Columbus just always working status quo as being a 'medium team' (pretty good but never great)?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is Columbus just always working status quo as being a 'medium team' (pretty good but never great)?

I think there were a couple seasons there where they had a real shot at a cup run, but ran into the eventual cup-winners in the first/second rounds and didn't make it happen.

But if you just look at success in the playoffs as the barometer for good/great... then yep.

Reactions: Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Value of Boone Jenner
Value of Nick Foligno
Value of Dean Kukan

Choose 1. Tell me their value. Toronto and CBJ shall be great trading partners this trade deadline.

Please and thanks.
In order of value...

Kukan - won't garner much more than a later round pick. I like him and he can certainly fit on a bottom pair but he's not "unique" to a point of a bidding war. CBJ has him signed for exposure in the expansion draft.

Foligno - expiring contract but can play anywhere in the lineup and any role. As CBJ captain, I think they'll give pause in moving him but if they do I would expect others will be interested and could garner a pick and a prospect (not both high value but I could see 1st and B prospect or 2nd and B+ prospect). I dont' think he'll be cheap even on expiring deal.

Jenner - still has one year remaining on deal ($3.75MM AAV) and is strong on the forecheck, can play W or C (good in faceoff circle) and has some skill. A winner and player you win with. I don't think he gets moved at the deadline unless it's a silly offer (1st and a very good prospect).

Savard - wasn't on list but certainly a player I think the Leafs would have interest in, as well as several other teams. As a top 4 RHD that eats minutes and plays the PK he'll get a very good return. Expiring contract but his playoff performance, demeanor and skill set are things Cup contenders want in the lineup. I think he will get a 1st and prospect - similar to Boone but for different reasons.

Keep in mind, the 1st round picks I am guessing at would likely be very late 1sts so it's not a lottery pick. Also a lot of questions surrounding the 2021 draft so may not be valued in the same manner. Just guesses on my part for perceived value.

Reactions: rotsbu and Fro

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Boone Jenner @ 25% ret & Dean Kukan
for
Alexander Kerfoot, Martin Marincin/Calle Rosen & 1st

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'd be way more interested in what you are offering....

I believe Toronto has all of their draft picks except for a 3rd and a 7th.

Do picks in round 1,2,4,5, and 6 interest CBJ?

I think Robertson and Amirov are their best forward prospects.

Liljegren and Sandin are their best D prospects.

Goaltending is not there in terms of value or depth. I doubt CBJ would even glance at Holl or Scott.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Do picks in round 1,2,4,5, and 6 interest CBJ?
It's possible. Depends on how the deal is structured. We charge extra for retention and/or if we have to take salary back, so that might make trade proposals between our teams a little more "interesting".

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Boone Jenner @ 25% ret & Dean Kukan
for
Alexander Kerfoot, Martin Marincin/Calle Rosen & 1st
I don't see the appeal for the Jackets. Lose the better player, retain on the better player for this season and next, take on a longer contract for the lesser player at a higher cap hit due to retention and exchange a solid, yet unspectacular bottom pairing dman for an AHL contract - all for a late 1st in a bad/weird draft. Why do the Jackets make this move?

Last edited:

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
is Toronto willing to make Mikyev and/or Robertson (sp? on both..too lazy too look up) available in this deal?
I would say no.
There are other options I rather reserve the big prospects for. I also think that Sandin and Robertson are integral parts to the future of our club and they would be off the table for any rental or players with only limited term.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
why? Kerfoot is tied with Foligno and 2 point behind Jenner.
Like cmon man stops reading at Kerfoot lol.
points aren't the only criteria for evaluating players. You also need to account for the team scoring - in 2 fewer games the Leafs have 24 more goals for - including assists this is approximately 72 additional points distributed through the Leafs line up. This will elevate the point totals for players like Kerfoot. Kerfoot is also signed for 2 more seasons so any team trading for Kerfoot would need to want that player and contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
In order of value...

Kukan - won't garner much more than a later round pick. I like him and he can certainly fit on a bottom pair but he's not "unique" to a point of a bidding war. CBJ has him signed for exposure in the expansion draft.

Foligno - expiring contract but can play anywhere in the lineup and any role. As CBJ captain, I think they'll give pause in moving him but if they do I would expect others will be interested and could garner a pick and a prospect (not both high value but I could see 1st and B prospect or 2nd and B+ prospect). I dont' think he'll be cheap even on expiring deal.

Jenner - still has one year remaining on deal ($3.75MM AAV) and is strong on the forecheck, can play W or C (good in faceoff circle) and has some skill. A winner and player you win with. I don't think he gets moved at the deadline unless it's a silly offer (1st and a very good prospect).

Savard - wasn't on list but certainly a player I think the Leafs would have interest in, as well as several other teams. As a top 4 RHD that eats minutes and plays the PK he'll get a very good return. Expiring contract but his playoff performance, demeanor and skill set are things Cup contenders want in the lineup. I think he will get a 1st and prospect - similar to Boone but for different reasons.

Keep in mind, the 1st round picks I am guessing at would likely be very late 1sts so it's not a lottery pick. Also a lot of questions surrounding the 2021 draft so may not be valued in the same manner. Just guesses on my part for perceived value.
Kerfoot, Engravil, Amirov/Lilijgren, Hallander, 1st 2021, 4th 2021 and 2nd 2022

for

Foligno 50% retained, Jenner 50% retained and Kukan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad