1 in 16 baby

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I had to google this to figure out what you were talking about.

So as I understand it, the lottery drew a "placeholder" team that represents whoever ends up ranked lowest after the play-in? So if I understand correctly, whoever flames out the worst in the first round of the "playoffs" they get to draft #1 overall?

And if those playoffs never happen then I have no idea.

That's rather an inducement to purposely lose big time in the first round knowing you get to draft Lafreniere. Hopefully all players/teams have too much professional pride to pull such a stunt.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I had to google this to figure out what you were talking about.

So as I understand it, the lottery drew a "placeholder" team that represents whoever ends up ranked lowest after the play-in? So if I understand correctly, whoever flames out the worst in the first round of the "playoffs" they get to draft #1 overall?

And if those playoffs never happen then I have no idea.

That's rather an inducement to purposely lose big time in the first round knowing you get to draft Lafreniere. Hopefully all players/teams have too much professional pride to pull such a stunt.
As much fun as it would be to see Hellebuyck not show up against the Flames, that's not quite right.

At this point, the play-in round will be played, after which the 8 losers will have a second lottery, equally weighted (so each team have a 12.5% chance of winning) to determine who picks #1.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
His post may be referencing the fact that the placeholder that ended up winning the lottery started in 12th place, which based on points percentage would have been the jets spot when the season was paused. If there had been no plans to restart and they used points percentage to decide lottery odds we would have won the 1st overall pick today.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I laughed when I heard that this year's #1 pick would be a placeholder team. :laugh:

If the Jets get that spot, have to wonder what we're going to do with that many wingers ;)

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As much fun as it would be to see Hellebuyck not show up against the Flames, that's not quite right.

At this point, the play-in round will be played, after which the 8 losers will have a second lottery, equally weighted (so each team have a 12.5% chance of winning) to determine who picks #1.
Yup. And it's my understanding that's what will happen if there's no more games. There will be a second lottery involving the 8 "play-in" teams, with each having a 12.5% chance at the #1 pick.

I actually think there's a relatively high probability that Covid will cause the season to be scrapped. The resurgence in the US is looking pretty terrible.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

With the high probability of upsets it opens up the possibility of some pretty strong teams having a shot at 1st overall. Although Laf is really talented thank god this isn’t a McDavid year where a rival like the Preds or Wild could add a generational talent.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If the season is scrapped, the Jets will have a 12.5% chance at the #1 pick.

If the play-in commences, the Jets will have a 12.5% chance at the #1 pick if they lose to the Flames. If they beat the Flames, they have no chance at the #1 pick.

I hope the season gets scrapped at this point. I’m not really invested in late summer playoffs at all.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Yup. And it's my understanding that's what will happen if there's no more games. There will be a second lottery involving the 8 "play-in" teams, with each having a 12.5% chance at the #1 pick.

I actually think there's a relatively high probability that Covid will cause the season to be scrapped. The resurgence in the US is looking pretty terrible.

The second lottery is if the games are played. The 8 losers from the play in round get put in the lottery. Which will take place after the play in round is complete. No body knows what will happen if the games aren’t played. There are 16 play in teams.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure if we will ever have better odds at the number 1 than 12.5%, rather the playofffs are scrapped and we spin that wheel.

Reactions: Jets 31

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
His post may be referencing the fact that the placeholder that ended up winning the lottery started in 12th place, which based on points percentage would have been the jets spot when the season was paused. If there had been no plans to restart and they used points percentage to decide lottery odds we would have won the 1st overall pick today.
Do you have a link?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The second lottery is if the games are played. The 8 losers from the play in round get put in the lottery. Which will take place after the play in round is complete. No body knows what will happen if the games aren’t played. There are 16 play in teams.
Last night Friedman said on air that if the season is scrapped they'll proceed with the second lottery with the 8 placeholder teams being based on points percentage. So the Jets would be in the mix with a 12.5% chance of winning the second lottery.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1 in 16 is the correct probability of a #1 pick if you assume that the playoffs proceed and the Jets have a 50% chance of getting knocked out by the Flames.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Correct me if I'm wrong:

It's possible that the Islanders won the pick. So if they get eliminated the pick is theirs (if they were the team that won)?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Last night Friedman said on air that if the season is scrapped they'll proceed with the second lottery with the 8 placeholder teams being based on points percentage. So the Jets would be in the mix with a 12.5% chance of winning the second lottery.
I believe there’s an additional caveat that it’s 4 per conference. It is based on point percentage, but not necessarily the bottom 8 in league.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
First time in my life i don't want to see hockey, especially Jets playoff hockey. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad